How will the weather effect the coming season?

MWildfowler

Weather first. Here on the Solway warm weather means we don’t see the numbers of geese as they stay north on the stubbles. 

Avian flu is the greater concern. Conservation bodies aren’t releasing the numbers following the breeding season which crystallises the effect of the winter bout that decimated the barnacle geese here. I fear we will face attempts to restrict or stop fowling in the mistaken belief that it will have any effect on the spread of the disease.

Until the op mentioned the new season is nearly upon us I can honestly say non of the wildfowlers I have recently come across have said a word about the prospects for this years first day which at one time was the day everyone looked forward to .

I have just been down the marsh like I do every morning and it is now looking a sight for sore eyes , all the grass is parched and the livestock are finding anything decent to eat , the dykes are low and some have even dried out and we are now entering our second heatwave with health warnings issued out , duck at the moment seem very thin on the ground as all the marshes around our side of the estuary are all now grazing marshes instead of the grain crops that used to draw 100s of Mallard in.

You will here shots the first morning from mainly the fed flight ponds that are now let to ( people from overseas ) and one or two of the local diehards who go through force of habit .

I now leave it till towards the end of October when the horses are taken off and the first signs of splashes appear , also the bird flu is another worry with 60 % of the Tern population wiped out on the North / Norfolk coast and nobody seem to know how it is affecting the wildfowl population  .

We will have a season of some sorts , but how good or bad it will be / , only time will tell .        GOOD LUCK   

12 minutes ago, Aled said:

Strangely enough there are lot more ducks on the main river where i go sea trout fishing this year. Is it because many of the smaller ponds may of dried up? 

Probably because just above every inland stream and pond has dried up or is at a level that cannot sustain them.

I'm in talks with a local farmer about a flight pond for this coming season which currently doesn't have any water in it. The resident ducks have vacated the area probably never to be seen again. Grim 🙃

Like some   others here, i fear the Bird flu problem could impact wildfowlng this season perhaps more than the warm weather.

Another aspect although have no direct info on,   i think could have negative impact on some duck numbers , is the Russian invassion of Ukraine. I dont know for sure, but i think the donbass region is a breeding ground for teal and widgeon. I bought a Skoda Yetti of a Ukranian Ellectrician a few years ago and he was into wildfowling he was from that area from what i remember.

Any more Knowledgeably on waterfowl breeding locations could advise on this theory of mine one way or the other.

22 hours ago, MWildfowler said:

I was just wondering with the heat waves and the lack of rain we’ve had down south, how will this effect the wildfowling season? This is only my second season wildfowling so intrigued to see if anyone knows if this will have any make any difference to the start of the season? 

Very good post My take on it is that the last load of years UK been getting warmer all Over,Here in Northern Ireland I stopped going out in September except for the 1st morning as the weather still wasn’t cold enough that’s not to say you wouldn’t get any shooting I always think Start November when it gets frosty in my opinion when the migrants start arriving was always best for me 

On 09/08/2022 at 07:40, nic said:

i have been surprised at how little there has been in the national press about this.... due to keeping chickens i get texts and emails re confirmed cases and phone goes off a lot!

I reckon the news is always fed to us with an agenda of some sort . Right now the agenda seems to focus the nation on fuel prices. More than likely something else happening around the globe  that our elite feel needs downplayed. Bird flu  doesnt get most  people flustered enough

2 hours ago, bishop said:

I reckon the news is always fed to us with an agenda of some sort . Right now the agenda seems to focus the nation on fuel prices. More than likely something else happening around the globe  that our elite feel needs downplayed. Bird flu  doesnt get most  people flustered enough

Give it a few weeks until gamebird release time and avian flu will be all over the news again from RSPB etc.

1 hour ago, Poor Shot said:

Wow, 9 cases of avian flu detected in game birds in 2021 from a claimed release of 60 million, think its the RSPB doing a bit of grand standing.

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

To those in the know , Is the Avian bird flu confined to sea birds , wading birds and wild fowl , or can it spread to Pigeons or any other woodland birds ? , all we seem to hear about are birds connected to water 

All birds, John.

2 hours ago, nic said:

due to the risk of cross contamination we have had to have poultry netted in /enclosed over most of last winter... so i am guessing it can transmit to other birds

Many thanks nic .:good:

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

All birds, John.

Hope your keeping well Paul and THANKS for the update .:good:

1 hour ago, MWildfowler said:

All this bird flu sounds worrying. Now this may sound like a stupid question but if you do shoot wildfowl how would you know if it is infected? Are there any obvious signs to look out for?

Not a stupid question at all , I shoot a few wildfowl and I would also like to know the signs to look out for :hmm:GOOD LUCK for the coming season   MM

Recently attended a talk with a top avian vet who said that ducks can show very mild or no symptoms but are often the main host for the virus. 
This is a link to the list of recorded infected wild birds 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1096834/AI-findings-2022-wk31_LF.csv/preview