Well you may all think I have gone mad...BUT...

Walker570

As most of you know I put a piece on here about my buying an electric UTV to help me get about and reduce fuel costs, wellllll,  I havehad another idea.

Sell my Land Rover and buy a Fiat Panda 4x4.  All of the performace reports appear to indicate it will do all of the things I need to get about my shooting areas at a respectful 60mpg.

I no longer really need either of my big trailers so they could go as well.  The only thing I have yet not found out is if a tow hitch for a small trailer could be fitted, not essential but handy if I need to bring home a muntie or two.  Don't need the two back seats so they could removed anyway.  

Would appreciate your comments.

For some reason this has almost duplicated.  The first did not appear to go through, I typed a second version and then the first version decided to load.

I knew someone (a long while back) who had one of the original ones.  Good little car and fair value second hand.  I think the biggest problem was that if bought new (like most Fiats) the depreciation is heavy.  The car was pretty basic and lightweight - but as long as you didn't expect miracles or want lots of 'goodies', it was fine.  Not sure what the present prices are like. 

Ahh PW at its finest.  OP asks about a potential car purchase, and both threads are immediately filled with irrelevant, pointless and unhelpful anecdotes about a different car from last century, that may share the same model name, but shares approximately zero parts with the car in question.

To the OP, it would help if you could give us some idea of the mass of your UTV and trailer combo.  A quick google reveals the current models have a rather paltry 900kg max tow capacity.  Should be sufficient, but a little car towing a (by its standards) heavy trailer will quickly cause the consumption to drop, because drag increases with the square of speed.

I don't know what you do with your Muntie /other carcasses, but if it were me, I'd seek to put them on the trailer, mainly so ticks don't jump ship and end up on the inside of the car.

24 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Ahh PW at its finest.  OP asks about a potential car purchase, and both threads are immediately filled with irrelevant, pointless and unhelpful anecdotes about a different car from last century, that may share the same model name, but shares approximately zero parts with the car in question.

To the OP, it would help if you could give us some idea of the mass of your UTV and trailer combo.  A quick google reveals the current models have a rather paltry 900kg max tow capacity.  Should be sufficient, but a little car towing a (by its standards) heavy trailer will quickly cause the consumption to drop, because drag increases with the square of speed.

I don't know what you do with your Muntie /other carcasses, but if it were me, I'd seek to put them on the trailer, mainly so ticks don't jump ship and end up on the inside of the car.

I am old enough to that there is the good the bad and the ugly with motor cars regardless of make model etc.  Reluability...my friends imedaite reaction was great little motor and he earns his living making sure the cars he sells do not come back with complaints. My wife's Skoda came through him and has not missed a beat in almost 4 yrs.

I am looking for a neat small means of travel to the farms I have permission to shoot on. All of them have good tracks and I am not looking to go mud pluggin'.  Exactly, being able to pull just a very small trailer would make the transport of a muntie or two OR a couple of foxes out for disposal, easy and cleaner and I am now told a tow hook can be fitted.     If I pull a trailer occasionally and it drops fuel from 60mpg to even 40mpg it beats 10 -12 mpg on the Landy so that is not a problem.

The more I look at it it seems a win win situation.

To clarify.... the Panda will replace both the Land Rover and the need to purchase a UTV.

Edited by Walker570

35 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I am old enough to that there is the good the bad and the ugly with motor cars regardless of make model etc.

The car in question is, according to Wikipedia, based on the Fiat 'Mini' platform which is the basis for several models of cars, but suffice it to say they've built millions of the things by now.  I'd suggest it's a safer bet than some others.

A towbar looked to be around the £200 mark delivered from Ebay, and I'm sure reputable sources would keep the cost to below £500 if it doesn't come fitted with one.  There used to be an adage about avoiding secondhand vehicles with fitted towbars, as it was more likely that they'd been abused.  Personally I always thought that was a little bit vague at best.

40 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

To clarify.... the Panda will replace both the Land Rover and the need to purchase a UTV.

Ahh, that makes things clearer, though a shame.  I (and I bet a few others on here) were looking forward to your reports with the eUTV.  Personally, I'd have thought have to drag a trailer *just* for deer carcasses/fox shooting would be a pain but I guess it very much depends on your perms.

Obviously, you could be sitting on a veritable gold-mine with the landy, depending on the model, in which case get it sold and buy both the Panda and the eUTV.

Size wise I see no problem the seats have lots of adjustment and the steering wheel is also adjustable.  Nathan ....make me an offer:good:

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

The car in question is, according to Wikipedia, based on the Fiat 'Mini' platform which is the basis for several models of cars, but suffice it to say they've built millions of the things by now.  I'd suggest it's a safer bet than some others.

A towbar looked to be around the £200 mark delivered from Ebay, and I'm sure reputable sources would keep the cost to below £500 if it doesn't come fitted with one.  There used to be an adage about avoiding secondhand vehicles with fitted towbars, as it was more likely that they'd been abused.  Personally I always thought that was a little bit vague at best.

Ahh, that makes things clearer, though a shame.  I (and I bet a few others on here) were looking forward to your reports with the eUTV.  Personally, I'd have thought have to drag a trailer *just* for deer carcasses/fox shooting would be a pain but I guess it very much depends on your perms.

Obviously, you could be sitting on a veritable gold-mine with the landy, depending on the model, in which case get it sold and buy both the Panda and the eUTV.

The areas I shoot on are all very easy access and to be honest most of the year would not require a 4x4.  Being able to tow a small 3ft by 3ft trailer would not be a chore and much easier to transport dead animals in.   I bring foxes back to the yard and the farmer sorts them.  Could put a tray in the back as well I suppose but a lot easier to lift stuff in a trailer.

I have an X type Jaguar Estate I purchased , one lady owner, full service history local village garage, 54 thou on the clock and a tow bar.   Just two small repairs to sills which are known on this model but easy to repair and apart from normal wear items brake pads etc this car has given me superb service and a joy to drive. V6 2.5. For high days and holidays and fast becoming a 'Classic'.     I will arrange with my supplier/garage to have the tow bar included in the purchase anyway.

I have two largish trailers which will also go on sale as I will no longer have a use for them.

Will miss disappointing boy racers at the traffic lights but apart from that I think the idea is a win win one in my circumstances.

4 hours ago, Old farrier said:

You could just put a tray on the ball hitch I’ve seen them for moving deer that way it’s always in the back of the car save you towing all the time 

I’m sure someone will find you a link to them 😊

Yes I have one for the Land Rover and we had one for the truck in Texas.  Very handy.   I think a small square metre trailer would suffice though.

8 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

For all the reasons you mention Nev I got rid of my L200 this year and bought a Peugeot partner van. Getting 50-60 to the gallon, extra row of seats and all the room I need for my dogs. I just wanted a mobile kennel. You could go for the equivalent ATV model.

Exactly the reason I use my transit custom but it’s the thirsty old 2.2  reasonable ground clearance and with a bit of carful driving - no one expected me at the top of the snow covered hill for this days shooting ( didn’t even need my snow chains on ! ) - though cheekily one of the guns ( Toyota hilux ) offered to drive back down to pick my dog up !? 😉

it happily pulled a 2 ton trailer at weekend and 6 seats for shipping us 4 and grandparent about 

atb Agriv8

BF7ABA09-4BCF-40D2-8078-16BB4A54A763.jpeg

4 x4 Suzuki SX4 would also be my choice. We are on car 114, but the most reliable one was my wife's SX4. We had it 6 1/2 years, which is excellent by our standards - shortest ownership was about an hour.

You see a lot of SX4s with excellent bodywork, even on 15 year old models. Well engineered and good on fuel.

Yes, I agree there are many alternative choices but a Panda it will be. It will do everything I need to do in spades. All of my shooting locations are set up with either igh seats or shooting cabins and all I need is something to transport me to those.  I expect to have one towards the end of September so I will report.