Opening up of chokes.

steveshoots

Hi I am wanting to open up my Miroku chokes which are fixed at full and full. Would like some insight if possible into costing.

I would like it game choked 1/4 and a 1/2. It's a really nice gun that I use all the time on clays and took it for a run on pigeons 

but it was making a real mess of them even at 50 yard out I Knew it was too much for decoying but I just love the gun the weight 

is just right as is the length of pull. I always use my maxus on pigeons but now the season is nearly on us would like to take this

I have plenty of other guns I could take as I have always used my Browning 325 which of course is multi choked. I just want to 

take my Miroku. Any Idea of a general costing to open it up? Any advice would be welcome.

37 minutes ago, steveshoots said:

Hi I am wanting to open up my Miroku chokes which are fixed at full and full. Would like some insight if possible into costing.

I would like it game choked 1/4 and a 1/2. It's a really nice gun that I use all the time on clays and took it for a run on pigeons 

but it was making a real mess of them even at 50 yard out I Knew it was too much for decoying but I just love the gun the weight 

is just right as is the length of pull. I always use my maxus on pigeons but now the season is nearly on us would like to take this

I have plenty of other guns I could take as I have always used my Browning 325 which of course is multi choked. I just want to 

take my Miroku. Any Idea of a general costing to open it up? Any advice would be welcome.

I’d give Teague a call and enquire. They could do the work no problem. They may require your gun is sent for reproofing after the work, which will of course add to the cost. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’d give Teague a call and enquire. They could do the work no problem. They may require your gun is sent for reproofing after the work, which will of course add to the cost. 

That's a good shout mate thank you.

4 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

@ £40 a barrel.

That's Very reasonable were from?

1 hour ago, steveshoots said:

Have you patterned the gun on paper with your preferred clay, game and pigeon cartridges at 40 yards to determine the actual choke and pattern within 30inch circle with each cartridge?

Before you start making irreversible changes to your barrels and spending money, it would be wise to confirm what you have and to check both barrels are shooting the same.

Theoretically, at 40 yards with 32g of no6 and full choke you should be looking at 213 pellets (70%), given 180 pellets is the target in 706sq inches, an extra 33 pellets (1 per 6 sq inches) isn't overkill. At 50 yards, you are down to 49% or 150 pellets or what I aim for for pheasants and starting to get marginal for pigeons.

2 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Have you patterned the gun on paper with your preferred clay, game and pigeon cartridges at 40 yards to determine the actual choke and pattern within 30inch circle with each cartridge?

Before you start making irreversible changes to your barrels and spending money, it would be wise to confirm what you have and to check both barrels are shooting the same.

Theoretically, at 40 yards with 32g of no6 and full choke you should be looking at 213 pellets (70%), given 180 pellets is the target in 706sq inches, an extra 33 pellets (1 per 6 sq inches) isn't overkill. At 50 yards, you are down to 49% or 150 pellets or what I aim for for pheasants and starting to get marginal for pigeons.

5 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

I have patterned the gun from 30 to 50 yards at the shooting ground at Pinewood on the pattern plate and the grouping was 2 3rds high 1 3rd low at 30 yards with no flyers at all all shot in and around target same with 50 yards bigger pattern great grouping both barrels much the same.

8 minutes ago, steveshoots said:

I have patterned the gun from 30 to 50 yards at the shooting ground at Pinewood on the pattern plate and the grouping was 2 3rds high 1 3rd low at 30 yards with no flyers at all all shot in and around target same with 50 yards bigger pattern great grouping both barrels much the same.

I agree with Stonepark, but you're the guy on the spot and have done the necessary. Although something does seem a tad odd, it looks as though Lloyd 90's suggestion is the way to go - saving dosh and no possible detriment to the gun.

2 hours ago, steveshoots said:

Just had my MK38 trap gun opened up to half and half, done by R. Sephton and Son Ormskirk, bit of a miserable sod, but workmanship second to none. £60 for both barrels.

Edited by reggiegun

Any descent Gun smith could open them up for you I got my old aya no3 magnum opened to 1/2 1/4 £35 per barrel It depends how much you want the chokes opened Regarding your quarry that you’re shooting 

Thanks for the advice guys I am at an empasse and may stick with what I have.

about 20 years ago i had a sidexside which i wanted the chokes changed on............i took it to Richard Gallyon at Hingham......he charged me £120/barrel.....before he did it he asked me what i was looking for and what cartridges i would be using........they then cut some metal out ...and tested it.....did it again....tested it did it again tested it until it acheived excactly what i wanted............20 years ago that was expensive....but i got excactly what i asked for

its very hit and miss going the cheap way....be careful

16 minutes ago, ditchman said:

about 20 years ago i had a sidexside which i wanted the chokes changed on............i took it to Richard Gallyon at Hingham......he charged me £120/barrel.....before he did it he asked me what i was looking for and what cartridges i would be using........they then cut some metal out ...and tested it.....did it again....tested it did it again tested it until it acheived excactly what i wanted............20 years ago that was expensive....but i got excactly what i asked for

"Regulating" the chokes by pattern, rather than removing the chokes using empirical measurements, that most "gunsmiths" carry out.

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

"Regulating" the chokes by pattern, rather than removing the chokes using empirical measurements, that most "gunsmiths" carry out.

Yes. I've had two guns done ;like that. One my Powell sidelock by Powell's when at Carr's Lane and Peter and David Powell still ran it and the other by Elderkin's. Does it make a difference? Yes. Best pattern I ever saw was from a friend's secondhand Purdey that had been regulated by Purdey when the thing was made back when new. The pattern looked like a enlarged 30" diameter drawing of the top of a pepper pot. Beautiful. Evenly distributed and regularly spaced.

Edited by enfieldspares

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

Yes, regulating a barrels choking to your chosen cartridge, used to be done a lot years ago.

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes, regulating a barrels choking to your chosen cartridge, used to be done a lot years ago.

I quite agree it’s a great method, but if it’s for live quarry, then that chosen cartridge may well have to be steel; the current lead one may not exist in a couple of years. 
Teague multi choking may be the way to go? 🤷‍♂️