HM Revenue and Customs

Dougy

Dropped a major clanger last week, my Harkila Boa Boots are going in the bin shortly after falling apart after 4 years. So i needed a replacement, after doing a fair bit of research i decided on a pair of of Chiruca Dogo boots, and found the cheapest from a store called Deporvillage. had my size in so placed the order. 

Tracked on Friday and all was looking good for Monday,  but then, on the tracking i saw "Released from Customs" then "Custom Charges raised" 

£75 blooming custom charges, what a plonker £16 less than the dearest in the country. Oh dear,  Never mind, every days a school day. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Dropped a major clanger last week, my Harkila Boa Boots are going in the bin shortly after falling apart after 4 years. So i needed a replacement, after doing a fair bit of research i decided on a pair of of Chiruca Dogo boots, and found the cheapest from a store called Deporvillage. had my size in so placed the order. 

Tracked on Friday and all was looking good for Monday,  but then, on the tracking i saw "Released from Customs" then "Custom Charges raised" 

£75 blooming custom charges, what a plonker £16 less than the dearest in the country. Oh dear,  Never mind, every days a school day. 

Well people voted for Brexit so it's what the majority wanted so there you go. 

3 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Buy English. The end.

I bet if you checked the label in your Y fronts there made in China. 

20 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Well people voted for Brexit so it's what the majority wanted so there you go. 

And I was one of them. Just had a senior moment at the time of ordering, never even noticed it was a Spanish company. 

I imported a Mec 9000 reloader and I  expected to pay a fee.  what I did think was a b was the fact that  royal mail charged £17 admin surcharge to let me know that I had £x  + the £17 before the item would be delivered. !!!  The  thieving devils.  The reloaded was still a lot cheaper than here.  Rip off UK. I've never used royal mail since.  It makes me feel better. 

43 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Buy English. The end.

If only it were that simple - we hardly make anything any more 😞

However there is a subtle difference between "Buying British" and "Buying FROM British companies".  With the latter you let them worry about import costs so the price advertised is what you pay.  The lottery of comparative cost +/- by the time you've imported is sometimes worth it, sometimes not.

It would be nice if you had a definite idea of the import duty every time you ordered from beyond our shores!

3 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

If only it were that simple - we hardly make anything any more 😞

However there is a subtle difference between "Buying British" and "Buying FROM British companies".  With the latter you let them worry about import costs so the price advertised is what you pay.  The lottery of comparative cost +/- by the time you've imported is sometimes worth it, sometimes not.

It would be nice if you had a definite idea of the import duty every time you ordered from beyond our shores!

I have tried to work out the actual fee's but its rather grey as to what they actually bill you for. Not like im having to sell a kidney to pay for my silly mistake. 

But im sure the boots will raise some conversation this season, specially from the wife. :rolleyes:

Twas always so. Came in through Brize in 1972 aged 17 to start 1st new job WITH HM. Customs and Excise, declared demi-jon Cyprus brandy, they charged me £5.

I think the full bottle only cost about £3.

First MONTHLY  wage £58.

Convert that now, 

No special perks.

Thank God were British.