Thousands of Scouts introduced to clay pigeon shooting

Thousands of Scouts and Guides were introduced to clay pigeon shooting by BASC at this year’s Poacher Jamboree.

More than 4,800 10 to 17-year-olds took part in have-a-go sessions over the eight day event at the Lincolnshire Showground.

Under the supervision of a dozen BASC shotgun coaches, each participant was given a gun fitting and safety briefing before attempting to hit their first clay.

As part of the initiative – co-ordinated by BASC’s training and education team – a number of Scout leaders also attended a BASC Shotgun Coach Award Foundation Day.

For more information click the weblink below.

https://basc.org.uk/thousands-introduced-to-clay-pigeon-shooting/

18 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Thousands of Scouts and Guides were introduced to clay pigeon shooting by BASC at this year’s Poacher Jamboree.

More than 4,800 10 to 17-year-olds took part in have-a-go sessions over the eight day event at the Lincolnshire Showground.

Under the supervision of a dozen BASC shotgun coaches, each participant was given a gun fitting and safety briefing before attempting to hit their first clay.

As part of the initiative – co-ordinated by BASC’s training and education team – a number of Scout leaders also attended a BASC Shotgun Coach Award Foundation Day.

For more information click the weblink below.

https://basc.org.uk/thousands-introduced-to-clay-pigeon-shooting/

Conor, this is great stuff!

Is there anyway that similar ‘have a go’ sessions could be organised for local or area scout groups? Our local group is very keen. 

20 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

How much did you charge them ?

15 hours ago, Rewulf said:

How much did you charge them ?

They probably had sponsorship ,guns ,clays ,cartridges etc but would still have had to organise and promote the whole thing ,you can bet your life there would have been opposition from some who didn’t agree with the idea and they would have had to convince them to let it go ahead .

They did something positive and proactive to bring youngsters into shooting and to teach them correctly and safely.

…..”How much did you charge them ?”      Not worth posting really was it ?

I applaud BASC for making these inroads in an effort to get more youngsters off their bloody phones  !

Sad to say that 21 years ago when I retired I offered my services to BASC as a qualified Instructor. I was already doing an annual clay shoot at the local Scout camp, along with other youth groups and local shooting grounds. BASC thanked me and offered to get me onto one of their Instructors courses  ? I pointed out that I was already qualified and experienced.  Ah yes, but that is with the CPSA and not BASC  ? I questioned the difference, but was given some stupid excuse about Insurance. Although a BASC Life Member, I have never offered my help since.

14 minutes ago, holloway said:

They probably had sponsorship ,guns ,clays ,cartridges etc but would still have had to organise and promote the whole thing ,you can bet your life there would have been opposition from some who didn’t agree with the idea and they would have had to convince them to let it go ahead .

They did something positive and proactive to bring youngsters into shooting and to teach them correctly and safely.

There isn’t even a hint of opposition from our local Scouts - they are keen. They are also willing to contribute some funding. Just need a hand from BASC really to make it happen. 

28 minutes ago, holloway said:

The question was posted to see a response from Conor, genuinely, I'm interested in whether they charged the scouts, and what it may have cost. 

If they provided the service for free, then well done BASC for using membership funds for a worthy cause. 

If not, then, well, I hope they didn't do it as an 'earner'

But also, I'm interested, because it gave me an idea about approaching local scout groups, and giving them an open day at one of my clubs, with a nominal fee of say 2 or 3 pounds, for a taster session on 22lr and 38 rifles. 

Would it be ethical to charge them? 

18 minutes ago, Fellside said:

There isn’t even a hint of opposition from our local Scouts - they are keen. They are also willing to contribute some funding. Just need a hand from BASC really to make it happen. 

Excellent what was there reply when you asked them to help ?

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The question was posted to see a response from Conor, genuinely, I'm interested in whether they charged the scouts, and what it may have cost. 

If they provided the service for free, then well done BASC for using membership funds for a worthy cause. 

If not, then, well, I hope they didn't do it as an 'earner'

But also, I'm interested, because it gave me an idea about approaching local scout groups, and giving them an open day at one of my clubs, with a nominal fee of say 2 or 3 pounds, for a taster session on 22lr and 38 rifles. 

Would it be ethical to charge them? 

Then I owe you an apology as I took it the wrong way ,I have noticed that Conor or Basc no longer engage on this forum as it always ends in them getting slated for one thing or another .

I think it is ethical to charge a small fee to help cover costs why not ,or maybe approach your cartridge suppliers it is in there long term interest to help.

1 hour ago, holloway said:

Then I owe you an apology as I took it the wrong way ,I have noticed that Conor or Basc no longer engage on this forum as it always ends in them getting slated for one thing or another .

I think it is ethical to charge a small fee to help cover costs why not ,or maybe approach your cartridge suppliers it is in there long term interest to help.

No need to apologise, I could see how you thought the question was 'loaded'

I am admittedly , a BASC basher, but I truly believe they need taking to task over some of their policies and behaviour.
They seem to brush aside any questions of their accountability to members.

But, any action that brings sports shooting to new people young and old is to be applauded.
We have done open days before to specific groups, where the charge was split between costs and a chosen charity, usually £10 , with £5 to charity and the other fiver going toward ammunition costs.
Both clubs I secretary for are very quiet at the moment, and Im going to propose we run open days by invite to various scout groups, Im not sure about guides , would they be interested ?
Might bring new members in , parents ect , who knows ?
What it will do , is show shooting to be a  safe , practical skill, that is also fun, and not the dark, barely legal , loony fringe fraternity , many believe it to be .

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

No need to apologise, I could see how you thought the question was 'loaded'

I am admittedly , a BASC basher, but I truly believe they need taking to task over some of their policies and behaviour.
They seem to brush aside any questions of their accountability to members.

But, any action that brings sports shooting to new people young and old is to be applauded.
We have done open days before to specific groups, where the charge was split between costs and a chosen charity, usually £10 , with £5 to charity and the other fiver going toward ammunition costs.
Both clubs I secretary for are very quiet at the moment, and Im going to propose we run open days by invite to various scout groups, Im not sure about guides , would they be interested ?
Might bring new members in , parents ect , who knows ?
What it will do , is show shooting to be a  safe , practical skill, that is also fun, and not the dark, barely legal , loony fringe fraternity , many believe it to be .

If I can play devils advocate,  how about trying to get Basc to help ?their  past experience of doing this sort of thing might be valuable ,after all we’re all on the same side.

I have always said that what Basc needs is a top public relations officer someone who isn’t just interested in commercial game shooting.

12 minutes ago, holloway said:

If I can play devils advocate,  how about trying to get Basc to help ?their  past experience of doing this sort of thing might be valuable ,after all we’re all on the same side.

BASC help depends on membership, and Ive not been a member for a few years now.
That said , Im pretty sure I could organise this , if the interest is there obviously.

Yes we are all on the same side, but I often wonder whether BASC is just on its own side with some of the things they do.

Thought about this one a bit 

why bother 

half the guns in the country will be obsolete in a few years 

cartriges un affordable if there available 

a licensing system that is beyond belief 

will your average Boy Scout be able to get into shooting in the future 

I think BASC should use the resources on sorting out the licensing process first followed by the shambolic lead ban 

then worry about getting people into the sport 

it’s a bit of a smoke screen 

I am glad that the kid’s had a good time and it’s a good pr stunt 

sorry to seem negative but surely the broken stuff needs fixing first 

just my view 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Thought about this one a bit 

why bother 

half the guns in the country will be obsolete in a few years 

cartriges un affordable if there available 

a licensing system that is beyond belief 

will your average Boy Scout be able to get into shooting in the future 

I think BASC should use the resources on sorting out the licensing process first followed by the shambolic lead ban 

then worry about getting people into the sport 

it’s a bit of a smoke screen 

I am glad that the kid’s had a good time and it’s a good pr stunt 

sorry to seem negative but surely the broken stuff needs fixing first 

just my view 

Is this not one of the ways forward, to help fix the 'broken stuff'  ?

Edited by Westley

On 11/08/2022 at 10:29, holloway said:

We did charge the Scouts a nominal fee to help cover the costs. But as you can imagine this sort of big event costs many thousands of pounds to pull off, so we are grateful of the support from our sponsors, Browning, Promatic and Eley Hawk who helped provide the guns, traps, cartridges and clays required. This type of event is also supported by core funds provided by the membership and from members Legacy funding.

We also have to thank the many BASC coaches who volunteered their time for the good of the sport, without them we could not do such great work. We also had significant assistance from the Scouts who provided a team of volunteers to assist with booking in and marshalling the Scouts and guides through the system

If you are interested in providing shooting opportunities for the Scouts with the help from BASC give me a call or e-mail me (01244573063/Peter.marshall@basc.org.uk)

If you are interested in becoming a BASC Coach and get involved in this type of work drop my colleague Jane an e-mail (Jane.Hatton@basc.org.uk)

Many thanks, Peter

PS - I will respond to e-mails, but may not have the time to check this forum on a regular basis, so I apologise in advance 

5 hours ago, Peter Marshall said:

We did charge the Scouts a nominal fee to help cover the costs. But as you can imagine this sort of big event costs many thousands of pounds to pull off, so we are grateful of the support from our sponsors, Browning, Promatic and Eley Hawk who helped provide the guns, traps, cartridges and clays required. This type of event is also supported by core funds provided by the membership and from members Legacy funding.

We also have to thank the many BASC coaches who volunteered their time for the good of the sport, without them we could not do such great work. We also had significant assistance from the Scouts who provided a team of volunteers to assist with booking in and marshalling the Scouts and guides through the system

If you are interested in providing shooting opportunities for the Scouts with the help from BASC give me a call or e-mail me (01244573063/Peter.marshall@basc.org.uk)

If you are interested in becoming a BASC Coach and get involved in this type of work drop my colleague Jane an e-mail (Jane.Hatton@basc.org.uk)

Many thanks, Peter

PS - I will respond to e-mails, but may not have the time to check this forum on a regular basis, so I apologise in advance 

Thankyou for posting ,I hope that many will accept your offers of help.