Reloading Steel shot

Hi

Been reloading 12g 6 shot 30g with Maxam CSB 5 for about 3 years now an it has been great . The powder was £19 pounds when I started now £42

I'm looking for steel shot load data to start of with, once fired 70mm 12g  hull case, 30/32 gram No 4 steel shot ,B&P S32 wad, Maxam PSB2 powder, cx2000 primer.

came across a video on the tube a guy called Howard Marshall has data from clay an game 28/29 grams  No 7 steel shot with 26.5 grains of PSB2 powder.

so any info would be welcome

Thanks Hayburn

10 hours ago, HAYBURN said:

Hi

Been reloading 12g 6 shot 30g with Maxam CSB 5 for about 3 years now an it has been great . The powder was £19 pounds when I started now £42

I'm looking for steel shot load data to start of with, once fired 70mm 12g  hull case, 30/32 gram No 4 steel shot ,B&P S32 wad, Maxam PSB2 powder, cx2000 primer.

came across a video on the tube a guy called Howard Marshall has data from clay an game 28/29 grams  No 7 steel shot with 26.5 grains of PSB2 powder.

so any info would be welcome

Thanks Hayburn

Maxam powder is no more. 

If you have a lot ring clay and game he'll have a data sheet. 

Taken over by nobel industries. 

I would look for data with another powder. 

Agree with Mellors, I spoke with someone at Sofiam Iberica (who purchased Maxam) and they said they have not made a decision as to whether they resume selling powders to the homeloading market. It appears unlikely that they will, however. 

If Howard Marshall is using the same wad as you are then you could just replicate his load with 29grams of 4 steel and then use cork fillers in the wad to get the correct stack height. 

Hi

thanks for the replies ,I have 3 tubs of maxam CSB5 an one of maxam PSB2.  Smudger686 he is using a different wad. 

I could start with 29grams of 4 steel, when using fillers can they only go on top of shot.   can they go under the shot inside the wad to make up the height ?

On 11/08/2022 at 13:31, HAYBURN said:

Hi

thanks for the replies ,I have 3 tubs of maxam CSB5 an one of maxam PSB2.  Smudger686 he is using a different wad. 

I could start with 29grams of 4 steel, when using fillers can they only go on top of shot.   can they go under the shot inside the wad to make up the height ?

Generally a better idea to put them under the shot, however if he is using a different wad I'd be cautious about attempting to replicate his load. 

30 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

just a word of caution using load data from youtube and PSB2 their is a pink flake and grey flake both use different load data I would get proper data from C&G for which ever one you have.

https://www.claygame.co.uk/maxam-psb2-powder-pd19

maxam SSB150 is a better choice for steel shot.

Good luck getting ssb150