BSA R10 177 TH

wymberley

Your over thinking it, just nip it up and check it occasionally. 

I took the stock off my R10 a while back, I'd not had it off for quite some time as I don't recall getting particularly wet, the amount of dirt and bits was unbelievable,  my rifle is out every week, I'm pretty careful,  the gun is normally laid on the bag or I have hold of it waiting on a squirrel,  there was even a random squashed pellet 😳

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

Your over thinking it, just nip it up and check it occasionally. 

I took the stock off my R10 a while back, I'd not had it off for quite some time as I don't recall getting particularly wet, the amount of dirt and bits was unbelievable,  my rifle is out every week, I'm pretty careful,  the gun is normally laid on the bag or I have hold of it waiting on a squirrel,  there was even a random squashed pellet 😳

I hope you stay fit and well. A TIA can make a mockery of your proprioception ability. Arthritis in its various forms can mean that you can't tell the difference between effort - lots of force - and pain - not much/too little force. Have a problem with my R10 and this morning I sheared a T-8 key - came with something-or-other so probably a cheap one - trying to undo a scope ring screw which I'd installed before I'd wised up and bought the torque wrench. With more than sixty years of engineering under your belt your body can still make a mess of it.

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Well sorry to hear that, but I've never seen anything mentioned about what torque to tighten the stock screws. 

Cheers.

Well, never mind, looks like being shear less half a turn, then.

While we're here, is there a common cause of inaccuracy with these - apart from the end user that is? I've changed the scope and it's not that? It was spot on when I got it (used, but barely), but now the groups have opened up with some flyers. I know about the Huma and so while I'm having a look-see, I decided to save £50 and the rifle is stripped down as necessary and all is ready to accept the new regulator which has been ordered. This is more future prevention than cure as as yet I know not what the problem is.

11 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Cheers.

Well, never mind, looks like being shear less half a turn, then.

While we're here, is there a common cause of inaccuracy with these - apart from the end user that is? I've changed the scope and it's not that? It was spot on when I got it (used, but barely), but now the groups have opened up with some flyers. I know about the Huma and so while I'm having a look-see, I decided to save £50 and the rifle is stripped down as necessary and all is ready to accept the new regulator which has been ordered. This is more future prevention than cure as as yet I know not what the problem is.

I contacted a well known spares company who sell the stock bolts but they did not know 🤔

23 minutes ago, wymberley said:

This is more future prevention than cure as as yet I know not what the problem is.

First thing is to chrono the gun, if its not been used much they don't like it, when you stripped it was anything gummed up?

One common cause can be the O-ring on the probe.

1 hour ago, Spr1985 said:

I’ve done the huma reg switch on mine along with the pellet probe o rng and the buddy bottle o ring and seems to shoot lovely now. All done on a fair bit of advice from @Ultrastu

Yep, it's very easy to save £50 by DIY. This helps:

R10 - BSA - Airgun Spares - Gun Spares Scroll down to picture above the stocks.

Careful not to leave this (plus the o ring) behind though:

BSA R10 Regulator Ball Retainer Rear Part No. 167379 (airgunspares.com)

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

First thing is to chrono the gun, if its not been used much they don't like it, when you stripped it was anything gummed up?

One common cause can be the O-ring on the probe.

Thanks. No, all well except for a damaged o ring at the front of the regulator - the one not to leave behind - it was poorly installed and not caused by me getting it out.

Too hot for me now, but will do a chrono next week when it's cooled a tad.

Have emailed BSA re the bolt torque.

On 12/08/2022 at 20:19, wymberley said:

Thanks. No, all well except for a damaged o ring at the front of the regulator - the one not to leave behind - it was poorly installed and not caused by me getting it out.

Too hot for me now, but will do a chrono next week when it's cooled a tad.

Have emailed BSA re the bolt torque.

Just been told that my email has been forwarded to a rifle engineer.

OK, Guys, HELP please.

No problem stripping the rifle just enough to replace the factory regulator with a Huma and while at it fit a new pellet probe O ring. I've not played with anything that small for a while and the arthritis doesn't help, but engage memory and up and over with the string and all is well.

However, having followed the instructions on XTX/YouTube which were very clear and the procedure simple, the rifle will not accept any air - and yes even though the bottle has just been charged I checked again and all is well there.

Any suggestions welcome.

Having a bad day all round but as they've broken the scanner in Plymouth and cancelled tomorrow's appointment at least I can ring Wirral Guns from whence the Huma came as they were shut today.

Ide be surprised if anyone with any sense will give you a torque setting for anything "wood". Too soft a stuff. I mean if the stock was pine you couldn't use the same torque setting for a walnut one 

When you say it's not accepting any air,can you be a bit more specific.

Is it charging via the probe,air going in but not firing?

Charging bit not showing on guage?

Charging but when bleeding from the hose is it loosing all its air?

4 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

It could be that the bottle has been screwed on the thread too much I think it can interefer with the non return valve built into the bottle wind it of  a 1/2 turn  and try again filling .try a second time up to a full turn .After that stop .

11 hours ago, mick.c said:

I think the rifle has to be cocked to fill it after a new reg has been fitted something to do with seating the valve or sumat might be wrong...

Mick

Thanks, Guys. Sadly neither worked. Have spoken with Wirral Guns who made a valid point and suggested that I strip the rifle down again pointing out that the regulator won't come into play until there's air in the rifle when it will or will not do what it's supposed to. Without any air then that can't be the problem which makes sense to me. So I think a visit to Crackshot down the road is on as I have to recognise my lack of ability now with very small springs, seals and ball bearings.

38 minutes ago, wymberley said:

recognise my lack of ability now with very small springs, seals and ball bearings

This is why I don't mess, when you see a diagram of things laid out it all looks nice and simple,  but a twisted O-ring or something just not quite right and you have to start again,  these days I'd rather just have the rifle sorted and know its right, my time is better spent doing other things.

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

This is why I don't mess, when you see a diagram of things laid out it all looks nice and simple,  but a twisted O-ring or something just not quite right and you have to start again,  these days I'd rather just have the rifle sorted and know its right, my time is better spent doing other things.

Yep, sadly I think my time is up. Not too good though as these things are pretty basic compared to having a hydraulic servo valve in bits ready to be reassembled.

Edited by wymberley

• 5 weeks later...
On 18/08/2022 at 10:21, logunator said:

Ide be surprised if anyone with any sense will give you a torque setting for anything "wood". Too soft a stuff. I mean if the stock was pine you couldn't use the same torque setting for a walnut one 

When you say it's not accepting any air,can you be a bit more specific.

Is it charging via the probe,air going in but not firing?

Charging bit not showing on guage?

Charging but when bleeding from the hose is it loosing all its air?

My apologies; I missed this post. Good point about the wood - had failed to engage brain. Simply would not accept any air at all. Sorted now, but don't really know the fault - nothing serious as it only cost £30 which included a seal kit. I quickly called in on the off chance that it was ready (just finished it) on the way home from hospital in Plymouth - final part of new aortic valve replacement (TAVI) work-up and not feeling too chipper, I just wanted to get home ASAP.

Fine today so checked out the Huma regulator for the first time. Impressive. Of no great worth for me but the power output was up 0.3 ftlbs. I had sensibly tweaked the output a little previously and this 0.3 increase took things too close to the 12 ftlbs for my liking so I've untweaked it a tad. That may well be advantageous for some folk though. However, the SD (quick calculation) has reduced nicely to 4.07 as has the group size - down to under 0.7" from 1.1". Not a bad buy I fancy.