LEAD SHOT an Interesting Viewpoint - Robin Scott article

TIGHTCHOKE

On 14/08/2022 at 13:17, Fisheruk said:

I suggest everyone who has an interest provides a response to the HSE consultation. It’s open until 6th November 2022. Your response would be best from an evidence point of view. I for one have tried several non lead air gun pellets and not found any reliably accurate beyond 15 metres. That’s both in sub 12 and FAC. FAC was better than sub 12.Others experience may be different. I’ve personally not found a problem with steel shot on live quarry using 12 or 20g. 
.22lr would be a problem, doesn’t seem to be a great deal of non lead ammo about in the Uk. 17hmr is ok as I already have non lead. Centre fire seems ok in non lead albeit a bit pricey.

Have you a link 👍

3 hours ago, London Best said:

Nor was Arthur Cadman.

And you should have heard Lea McNally’s opinion!

I picked up behind him on a game shoot where I was a syndicate member. I felt he thought the entire beating line was there just for him. He was not too selective with his choice of birds to shoot and complained to me about the lack of birds over him. The grouse Moor that he was on, in the company of the late Ken Aldridge, I had also shot. It was a small Moor and only had 2 drives but could produce some really exciting, but small, driven grouse days. I felt that JC had probably met his match with Ken.

Edited by Westley

34 minutes ago, Westley said:

I picked up behind him on a game shoot where I was a syndicate member. I felt he thought the entire beating line was there just for him. He was not too selective with his choice of birds to shoot and complained to me about the lack of birds over him. The grouse Moor that he was on, in the company of the late Ken Aldridge, I had also shot. It was a small Moor and only had 2 drives but could produce some really exciting, but small, driven grouse days. I felt that JC had probably met his match with Ken.

I shot driven grouse with Ken four times and remember him moaning about JC’s attitude.

Small World isn’t it?

On 14/08/2022 at 13:36, London Best said:

hope John Swift has spent the last 25 years looking over his shoulder, nervously.

I think that you will find that Schwitty is very much involving himself on committees which are "consulting/advisory" to HSE, and I think WWT and probably RSPB.

On 14/08/2022 at 12:16, Weihrauch17 said:

BASC is obviously now staffed to a degree at the top level by antis like John Swift was.

On 15/08/2022 at 18:28, Scully said:

The ‘enemy within’? Their agenda being what? 

This organisation has always had members of its executive whose views on the future of shooting did not coincide with a majority of the ordinary membership..

eg back in the day of WAGBI there was a Dr John Berry , also on other bird welfare committees, who led a drive to curtail wild fowling on the Tay Estuary ie close the season for foreshore shooting at end of January and put a stop to the 20th February extension for 'fowling below the high water mark. Look back in old Shooting Times issues and you will find it.