Puppy Getting Naughtier

Brad93

9 weeks old now and in the last three days puppy has got naughtier, biting harder and now ignores most commands unless he hears a bag of treats rustling. 

Last week we had sit, recall, and lay down on voice command. 

Now he almost refuses to do anything. 

He also has discovered his bark. 

god where are we going wrong. Using BG Gundog app and lez grahams puppy book. 

Any sort of no contact correction or telling off doesn't work. I've tried associating the leave command with a treat like BG app says. And also tried their correction (hand over eyes and hand under chin very softly) but he wriggles out then proceeds back to biting you, hard!

I've had an English Toy terrier and chihuahuas, first Gundog and you can see they are obviously a lot smarter. More obedient im not sure. 

edit:

forgot to say. 

Labrador. Black. Working parents. In kennel with siblings from 6 weeks. 
Now crate training. No accidents, sleeps for about 3-4 hours, then he gets me up in the middle of the night with a few whines. Toilet. Back to sleep till 6AM. again, toilet, play, breakfast, back to bed for as long as he will stay quiet. 1h 45m this morning. 

since then, little terror

Edited by Brad93
Added more info

6 minutes ago, Brad93 said:

9 weeks old now and in the last three days puppy has got naughtier, biting harder and now ignores most commands unless he hears a bag of treats rustling. 

Any sort of no contact correction or telling off doesn't work. I've tried associating the leave command with a treat like BG app says. And also tried their correction (hand over eyes and hand under chin very softly) but he wriggles out then proceeds back to biting you, hard!

I've had an English Toy terrier and chihuahuas, first Gundog and you can see they are obviously a lot smarter. More obedient im not sure. 

Every time he bites, Put your thumb under his tongue and pitch soft flesh of under jaw between thumb and forefinger and hold it until for 10 to 20 seconds, not letting him shake free.

Stops biting quite quickly without causing pain to pup.

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

Write the post again when the pup is 9 MONTHS old.

Really!  9 weeks, I despair.

That's the opposite of what the books/app says. Says you should be getting them training as young as possible?

We are not doing blind retrieves here.

29 minutes ago, London Best said:

Sorry! What would I know, only been training Labs for over fifty years?

That's a bit full on, did you say that you are a trainer in your first post or did you just one line it .. brad93 has come on to seek advice not get comments like this. If you train them why not offer some helpful advice?

Like let the pup be a pup, if you want to do simple recalls and sits then make it fun. 

@Brad93 you are expecting to much far too soon. Let the pup be a pup, play, make any kind of training fun. Biting, you can shout ouch loud and high pitch, that's what his brothers and sisters would do if play fighting ( well they yelp).. don't get down about it because one day the pup listens the next they find a fly more interesting. 9 weeks old also means it's all very new and your home isn't fully theirs yet, just been moved away from everything the little one knows ..

As every has said already hes only a  pup (baby).. that's what pups do bite ,nip, play.. get down on ground and play with him. Its all about creating a bond. And enjoy this stage with him. Also get him some dried pigs ears, pups love them for chewing on, especially when they loose their baby teeth. Forget about training at this stage.

I have been training dogs for over forty years and in my experience this is far too early to think about any training other than recognise your name and come when called. Whatever the book might say my advice is put it away and read it again in several months time. If you want to read and use a book “Total Recall” by Pippa Mattinson is all you need at this age. 
As to treats it is the only way to go. Why else would a pup want to do anything for you when it hasn’t  even built the bond yet?

The things you describe I am only just getting into at 6 months with my current lab although we do have recall….using treats, 90% nailed on.

Good luck and relax!

Well I have trained and worked hunting dogs and cattle dogs for over 60years and all of my dogs start traing the day they walk or are carried into my home.  Good manners being the very first thing they have to learn.   Yes, puppies will chew and they have sharp little needles for teeth but a gentle tap with the finger and a severe not happy with you voice suaully gets through.  All this bonding nonesense is a load of you know what because if you care for the dog and teach it manners then it will become your friend for life.   I have read a fair few books as well the good the bad and the ugly.  I had a woman trials judge tell me that my choocy Lab muffin would never jump as his legs where the wrong shape. That dog would clear five barred gates and top welsh stone walls like an athelete just for fun.     Serious field traing can start as soon as the pup is on a lead, simple short spells of heal work on the lead and then a play session to start with.   Older dogs tell pups off with a deep growl when they are overstepping the mark. My dogs knew my tone of voice and if I was not happy with them.

Forgot to mention this does not all happen overnight or in a week or month but eventually it will click. 

Edited by Walker570

3 hours ago, Brad93 said:

edit:

forgot to say. 

Labrador. Black. Working parents. In kennel with siblings from 6 weeks. 
Now crate training. No accidents, sleeps for about 3-4 hours, then he gets me up in the middle of the night with a few whines. Toilet. Back to sleep till 6AM. again, toilet, play, breakfast, back to bed for as long as he will stay quiet. 1h 45m this morning. 

since then, little terror

So if reading this right you’ve had the pup for 3weeks ? and had sit recall and lie down on command ,listen to the advice given on this forum that’s all I would say .(well most of it anyway).

You have a lifetime of experience on this forum to tap into it’s a brilliant resource, and most of the posts are telling you the same thing.

13 hours ago, holloway said:

So if reading this right you’ve had the pup for 3weeks ? and had sit recall and lie down on command ,listen to the advice given on this forum that’s all I would say .(well most of it anyway).

You have a lifetime of experience on this forum to tap into it’s a brilliant resource, and most of the posts are telling you the same thing.

He’s had the pup a week if it’s 9 weeks as your not allowed to let them go before 8 weeks these days (or the breeder shouldn’t). 

Training a dog well is something that takes months / years of repetition, consistency etc. 

You’ve not trained anything by 9 weeks.

Relax.
If the dogs being ‘naughty’ (it’s not btw, just being a pup) put it away for a bit etc.

This is one of the main reasons it helps a lot having a kennel, stops the owner / family constantly messing with the dog.  

A lot of good trainers don’t even start training labs until 9 months onwards. As noted some people like to begin training right away, but think you’re expecting far too much far too soon. 

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

He’s had the pup a week if it’s 9 weeks as your not allowed to let them go before 8 weeks these days (or the breeder shouldn’t). 

Training a dog well is something that takes months / years of repetition, consistency etc. 

You’ve not trained anything by 9 weeks.

Relax.
If the dogs being ‘naughty’ (it’s not btw, just being a pup) put it away for a bit etc.

This is one of the main reasons it helps a lot having a kennel, stops the owner / family constantly messing with the dog.  

A lot of good trainers don’t even start training labs until 9 months onwards. As noted some people like to begin training right away, but think you’re expecting far too much far too soon. 

Exactly...spot on other than as I said training good manners starts from day one.  Also make sure you train your family members as well as Lloyd says efforts can be undone if a family member is not in line.

I agree with most of the above, the dog is far too young to drive this type of training home, the only training I would be giving at that age is play training such as rolling a ball along the ground and encouraging a return, but don't make a big deal about it if he does not return every time.

Puppy’s tire quickly and get bored even quicker, by trying to push home training at this age you could cause the dog to become sluggish as it gets older.

Just let it be a pup and make any training fun and don't think that because he sat today on command he will do the same thing tomorrow, if he was 9 months old then that would be a different situation, you and your dog have a long road in front of you.

My pup, also Lab, came to me at just over 8 weeks and is now just over 7 months.  I fully expect her to remain (largely) a pup until she is at least 12 months, but simple gentle progress is being made;

• She looks to me when uncertain
  • She is clean day and night
  • She is easily 'handled' such as checking teeth, ears, paws etc. grooming and when eating food (can be removed, checked, etc. without complaint)
  • Recall and rather basic commands generally OK
  • She is good with other dogs
  • Largely chew free now
  • Mainly walks nicely with slack lead
  • When out in the fields off lead looks back regularly for direction/reassurance and generally recalls well

On the other side, there are still areas that are full of 'puppiness';

• Getting overexcited by visitors and other dogs - especially other dogs staying in the house
  • Sometimes needs a 'quiet time out' to calm down
  • Can get a bit deaf when there are more exciting things (a favourite are rabbit guards from trees, which are much more exciting than any toy!)
  • Walking to heel is only getting there slowly and still all 'on lead'.  Some way to go before 'off lead' yet
  • Like many Labs, prefers deer poo to any treat I can find (and no I'm not carrying a pouch full of it around for training)

Overall, at 7 months I'm content with steady progress

As most of the others shave said it’s far to early to train and expect immediate results let it have its pup stage be kind and when it does well treats are the only way to go as for biting all pups do it when it bites yelp like another pup would and take your hand away quick they soon learn to be gentle don’t put yourself under pressure to make it perfect it’s a lab and it  will be the best friend you have ever had it just takes kindness repetition and all the family doing the same if one member is different they are clever dogs and will manipulate all of you to get it’s own way 

At that age mine started to behave a little like that with the biting. Persevere, don't despair. To me when the faffing about gets too much its best to end any training session. Do something small and easy that will end it on a high for the pup.

Its so easy to expect too much too soon, wee pups head is maybe just getting a bit melted from too much going on. At 9 weeks I would maybe stop everything else and concentrate on that recall above all else.

Don't accept the biting though, grip it by the scruff and lift it and plant it down somewhere for a time out. Enforce the rules, don't suggest them

6 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

My pup, also Lab, came to me at just over 8 weeks and is now just over 7 months.  I fully expect her to remain (largely) a pup until she is at least 12 months, but simple gentle progress is being made;

• She looks to me when uncertain
  • She is clean day and night
  • She is easily 'handled' such as checking teeth, ears, paws etc. grooming and when eating food (can be removed, checked, etc. without complaint)
  • Recall and rather basic commands generally OK
  • She is good with other dogs
  • Largely chew free now
  • Mainly walks nicely with slack lead
  • When out in the fields off lead looks back regularly for direction/reassurance and generally recalls well

On the other side, there are still areas that are full of 'puppiness';

• Getting overexcited by visitors and other dogs - especially other dogs staying in the house
  • Sometimes needs a 'quiet time out' to calm down
  • Can get a bit deaf when there are more exciting things (a favourite are rabbit guards from trees, which are much more exciting than any toy!)
  • Walking to heel is only getting there slowly and still all 'on lead'.  Some way to go before 'off lead' yet
  • Like many Labs, prefers deer poo to any treat I can find (and no I'm not carrying a pouch full of it around for training)

Overall, at 7 months I'm content with steady progress

Sounds about right other than treats.  Never ever used treats other than a good response to them doing as told and a cuddle.  I think they become to expect a 'treat' which is not the way to go, they need to be doing what you expect them to do just for your pleasure and response.  The only 'treat' my dogs have ever had is maybe sharing my sandwich or pork pie in a pigeon hide.

On 15/08/2022 at 12:27, Dave at kelton said:

I have been training dogs for over forty years and in my experience this is far too early to think about any training other than recognise your name and come when called. Whatever the book might say my advice is put it away and read it again in several months time. If you want to read and use a book “Total Recall” by Pippa Mattinson is all you need at this age. 
As to treats it is the only way to go. Why else would a pup want to do anything for you when it hasn’t  even built the bond yet?

The things you describe I am only just getting into at 6 months with my current lab although we do have recall….using treats, 90% nailed on.

Good luck and relax!

+1

He will be picking up this season no probs, just send him on the hens. 

One of the things that we had been told a thousand time is let him be a puppy, some sound advice on here from very experienced gun dog owners. I'm certainly not experienced and have made mistakes with our 1st Buster, not being consistent with commands will not do any good(not helped by being at work and Mrs at home) walking to heel with me but then Mrs D is quite laid back with the position. Now at 5 its very difficult to get him to heel as i want, recall is not as sharp as i like either.