What tree is this?

steve_b_wales

The reason I asked is that I grow and replant many species, mainly Horse Chestnut, Oak and Sweet Chestnut. I don't recall anyone sending me seeds from a Hazel tree. Looking at Hazel saplings online, it does appear to be the same. I have approx' 12 that are growing and will be replanted next year on two local farms, together with a couple of Oak.

Edited by steve_b_wales

2 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

The reason I asked is that I grow and replant many species, mainly Horse Chestnut, Oak and Sweet Chestnut. I don't recall anyone sending me seeds from a Hazel tree. 

How many trees are you planting? How much space do you have?

Edited by oowee

26 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Steve plants trees in memory of his late Son.

Then they get distributed around the country to spread the gene pool.

Yes, Steve does a great job & I have planted a few trees I got from him at my workplace. I still have a few more Oaks to plant at some point that I have been nurturing at home. Think I will have to try out some different species for a bit of variety & see how they do.

41 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Steve plants trees in memory of his late Son.

Then they get distributed around the country to spread the gene pool.

12 minutes ago, Mullard83 said:

Yes, Steve does a great job & I have planted a few trees I got from him at my workplace. I still have a few more Oaks to plant at some point that I have been nurturing at home. Think I will have to try out some different species for a bit of variety & see how they do.

Thanks to you both. Yes, what started out back in 1999, when my son was 10 years old, and we planted the odd Acorn etc, hoping that they would grow, went on with me growing and giving out/planting many more. To date, I think the estimated total is well over 1400 various species. I hope to be able to continue doing this for many more years to come. I lost my son 19 years ago, when he was 14 years old, and it's a nice thought that not only am I doing this in his memory, but around the UK, there will be many trees that (hopefully) are maturing. 

53 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

My red chastnut has a load of nuts on again this year Steve so hope they come true to original. You can have what you want because my wood is now full.

I would love all you can spare please. Last year wasn't good for Acorns, so sadly I've only got a few to hand out next year. Hopefully, I will be able to get a load this year. As always, I'm more than happy to cover postage costs.

Thank you.:good:

3 hours ago, bottletopbill said:

I hope you get sent photos of the trees you have sent out as every tree is a reminder of your son.

What a marvelous way to remember your son and help this land.🌳

Bill 

I've only had one or two in the past years, but as long as they are maturing, I'm more than happy. There are a few planted on one of my local permissions, so I do get to see them grow (slowly!!)

I hope you you see the good times with your son as you look at the trees on your perm.

I know what it means My grandchild died at birth we brought a Christmas tree for him about two inches tall for his first Christmas and planted it it is about ten feet now.

Every time I look at that tree  and  wonder how he would be  and never fare away from us.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I would love all you can spare please. Last year wasn't good for Acorns, so sadly I've only got a few to hand out next year. Hopefully, I will be able to get a load this year. As always, I'm more than happy to cover postage costs.

Thank you.:good:

I've only had one or two in the past years, but as long as they are maturing, I'm more than happy. There are a few planted on one of my local permissions, so I do get to see them grow (slowly!!)

I believe I was one of those that sent you photos of where I had planted the saplings at my place of work. When I plant the rest I shall do so again.

Regards,

Dan

4 minutes ago, Mullard83 said:

I believe I was one of those that sent you photos of where I had planted the saplings at my place of work. When I plant the rest I shall do so again.

Regards,

Dan

Yes, you did Dan, and thanks. I don't expect anyone to send photo's, and as mentioned, as long as the saplings are maturing, I am more than happy with that.

I was looking at how far they've been sent over the years. The furthest south was Penzance, and north was the Isle of Lewis. 

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

Yes, you did Dan, and thanks. I don't expect anyone to send photo's, and as mentioned, as long as the saplings are maturing, I am more than happy with that.

I was looking at how far they've been sent over the years. The furthest south was Penzance, and north was the Isle of Lewis. 

It's a fine thing that you do Steve,  and you've brought a tear to many an eye mate.

I have a farm I deal with the vermin on and the the deer and the grandson there has taken an oak sapling from my wood and planted it in a spot where every time hedrives up the drive he and everyone will see that oak growing in memory of his grandfather who initially developed the farm   These are great ways to remember.