Ferreting!

olliedakennard

I wanted to know why when i go out lamping with my airgun i see hundreds of rabbits run into the warrens but when i go ferreting i never seem to be able to make them bolt.

This is what i do when i go out!

1. firstly i clear the holes!

2.then i net up using purse nets

3. put the ferret down the hole

4.and nothing ever bolts

Is there anything i am doing wrong?

Any advice will be helpful.

If there are rabbits underground, then your ferrets will move them out, or kill them and lay up.

Either way you will know there are rabbits at home.

If neither of these things happen, it would suggest the earths are empty.

Do you see them run into the holes as you approach the warren with your ferrets ?

Have you ever walked the area around the warren (up to 150 yards away), just incase the rabbits are laying out of the warren ?

A lot of us would like to know how to teach ferrets not to lay up, I have not been able to do it in over 40 years of ferreting. :good:

Sure I have been lucky with most coming to the "feeding" call readily, but they will still lay up on blocked or killed rabbits, if the mood takes them.

What I was saying in my answer is that there have to be rabbits in the warren before they can bolt out and if your ferrets are not laying up and only bolt one rabbit, then that suggests there was only one rabbit at home.

Empty warrens can be caused by lots of things, including over ferreting, mild weather encouraging rabbits to lay out above ground, gassing, etc.

Although you said that you always see lots of rabbits running into the earth when you disturb them at night.

This may have to go down as one of life's little mysteries. :good:

I don't have any ferreting equipment for sale, try the Buy,Sell, or Swap section.

I wanted to know why when i go out lamping with my airgun i see hundreds of rabbits run into the warrens but when i go ferreting i never seem to be able to make them bolt.

This is what i do when i go out!

1. firstly i clear the holes!

2.then i net up using purse nets

3. put the ferret down the hole

4.and nothing ever bolts

Is there anything i am doing wrong?

Any advice will be helpful.

Try using more than one ferret sunbeam :good:

LB

well to make them not layup u need some wide tubing about 5 inches and put a dead rabbit in it. then encourage your ferrets to leave it by giving them treats and well dones and strokes. after about a week of training. thank you very much keep writing

i do use more than one i have sixteen jills and 5 hobs

I apologise as I thought you original post was what you actually did.

LB

well to make them not layup u need some wide tubing about 5 inches and put a dead rabbit in it. then encourage your ferrets to leave it by giving them treats and well dones and strokes. after about a week of training. thank you very much keep writing

:lol: :lol: :D :D

ollie

do you have a mentor or are you self taught?

a couple of trips out with an old wise **** may learn you a thing or two maybe?

TP

:lol: :lol: :D :D

ollie

do you have a mentor or are you self taught?

a couple of trips out with an old wise **** may learn you a thing or two maybe?

TP

my dad ferreted with his grandad all his childhood and he has taught me evrything i know so yeh i have.

Yes, I would agree you need to clear the holes up to a week in advance to lessen disturbance and when you finally do go, KEEP QUIET. Dont thump ferret boxes on the ground or stomp about. Be as quiet as you can, rabbits underground are well aware what noise above means and will often stay and face the ferret rather than bolt if theres lots of noise from above.

Sx Ctymn

you must approach the warren with stealt h and care....do not bang about or the scutts will not bolt........carefully and quietly lay you nets......then move back 10 paces and wait patiently........

the smell of the ferrets can be enough to make them bolt....but only if they percieve that there is no danger upstairs...if they hear you they will just give your ferrets the run a round below....

One other thing................if you ferrets are young...they maybe just skimming the top of the warren, and not working it throughout.........may be worth taking some experienced ferrets ith you if you can hold of any!

One other thing................if you ferrets are young...they maybe just skimming the top of the warren, and not working it throughout.........may be worth taking some experienced ferrets ith you if you can hold of any!

This is what mine do. They are young and don't go down to the lower levels where I imagine all the rabbits are sitting having cups of tea laughing at the inexperienced ferrets rattling around empty tunnels.

But as I say, they are young and have much to learn.

/Mad

This is what mine do. They are young and don't go down to the lower levels where I imagine all the rabbits are sitting having cups of tea laughing at the inexperienced ferrets rattling around empty tunnels.

/Mad

I have ferrets not switch on properly until the 3rd season!

/Mad

i went out ferreting today and my ferrets caught one down the hole. Because i have trained them they did not layup they actually brought the rabbit to me so i think you are wrong there sunshine.

/Mad

i went out ferreting today and my ferrets caught one down the hole. Because i have trained them they did not layup they actually brought the rabbit to me so i think you are wrong there sunshine.

am i missing something here?

I have just read this thread again Ollie and as I understand it you are experienced, been taught well by your pater, and you have more than enough ferrtets to enter a warren.

So that just leaves your ferrets as the only area that could be lacking unless your cocking it up.

Maybe the problem is your ferrets aren't up to the standard required :good:

Do they perform badly everywhere you go?

LB

I have just read this thread again Ollie and as I understand it you are experienced, been taught well by your pater, and you have more than enough ferrtets to enter a warren.

So that just leaves your ferrets as the only area that could be lacking unless your cocking it up.

Maybe the problem is your ferrets aren't up to the standard required :good:

Do they perform badly everywhere you go?

umm no they are fine as i say they are fine now thnkyou for the add though

wish i could train my ferrets not to go to ground as i hate diggin.

you get noobs in every sport/ hobby i guess

so now your ferrets are fine as they bolted 1 rabbit... like its been said befor you sure there are rabbits there?

an not on ya p.j's while you are waitin on mummy to read you a bed time storie

wish i could train my ferrets not to go to ground as i hate diggin.

you get noobs in every sport/ hobby i guess

so now your ferrets are fine as they bolted 1 rabbit... like its been said befor you sure there are rabbits there?

an not on ya p.j's while you are waitin on mummy to read you a bed time storie

im sorry if i seemed that way guys but i was getting annoyed witht the frreting but with evryones advice am now catching for or five a burrow sorry and thankyou.