Decoying Pinkfeet using a layout blind

henry d

I was given the nod by Lucky Jim, that on some of our permission there were a lot of geese, however it was a big almost triangular field and it rises up from the road so it is very difficult to decoy conventionally from a hide, that and the fact there is little in the way of a hedgerow anywhere around the field.

I set up in pitch darkness and there was no wind at all, the 30+ deeks I used were in a basic horseshoe shape with the layout blind at the head and a slightly longer leg to the RHS as I`m right handed and will be shooting from a sitting position.

As dawn started to break a thick mist started to close in and I knew it would be late before the geese left the roost :good:

First visitors to the pattern were a dozen crows, one even landed in the pattern and as I was after geese I had to let them be :( The geese eventually lifted and their calls got louder and louder, as did mine, and when I could see them there were about 500 birds in 3 distinct skeins all coming for a look ! PANIC........MOI ? bloody right I did !

After 2 circuits the first skein came in wings wide and paddles down and I took the first bird and it faltered at the first shot so I hit it again and it folded head down and wings closed. I was elated that the blind worked as I have never had that many birds coming into the deeks ever.

I managed a 5 minute breather to calm my nerves before the next skein came however these 80 or so birds did 3 circuits and left, but I think that it was due to the mist leaving water on the deeks and the fact there was nothing moving so the deeks looked suspicious. I then had about 20 birds circle and 3 Greylags peeled off and came in but I missed with 3 shots.

After that I decided to leave them in peace, but as Mr. Hoodie crow flew past I felt obliged to take him out with a single shot :good:

I spotted a fox, early on, crossing one of the tattie fields and will see if I can catch him (or her) out soon too ! All I need now is a footie and Rugby result and things will be absolutely tip top.

Can you spot the blind ??

post-1301-1192272513.jpg

post-1301-1192272527.jpg

Hello & very nice henryd im thinking on the same set up for tuesday on 1 of my field's & try & get a mate his 1st goose.I now have my local gunshop owner trying to get in on my goose shooting as he lost some of his & know's i shoot this ground & have geese i think it's bad crack that but that's me.I normally leave the geese because of location & only 2-3day's on the field then move so i tend to leave them but been there 10day's now.