Cawlin Crow Decoy.

THEINVISIBLESCARECROW

12 minutes ago, jall25 said:

I dont think this is legal to use to lure in birds to shoot in the UK 

I can't see any difference from having a Crow decoy and the owner is using a Crow call , same with duck , geese and anything else where you use a call to lure the quarry to your decoys and as far as I am aware it is all perfectly legal .

26 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I can't see any difference from having a Crow decoy and the owner is using a Crow call , same with duck , geese and anything else where you use a call to lure the quarry to your decoys and as far as I am aware it is all perfectly legal .

It is definitely not legal. The use of electronic calls to shoot any bird is illegal. 

Under Section 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, the use of 'sound recordings' is included in a long list of methods that are prohibited when killing or taking wild birds.

38 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

It is definitely not legal. The use of electronic calls to shoot any bird is illegal. 

Under Section 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, the use of 'sound recordings' is included in a long list of methods that are prohibited when killing or taking wild birds.

THANKS for the update , never knew that , you learn something new every day .:good:

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

I think part of the reasoning was that they are so effective it could decimate numbers of crows  ! Mad eh !

It certainly is mad with all the various calls in use in this day and age , well what is the difference with a electronic Fox caller and a battery operated Crow call ? , could you use the Crow caller if it wasn't attached to the decoy ? , when you think of all the devices used in Pigeon decoying that are run by batteries there must be a very thin line between what is legal and what isn't. :drinks: 

Hi yes it seems mad. It’s not the crow decoy it’s the recording that’s against the law. This should have been made clear when advertising the decoy. It’s only illegal if used for shooting or trapping. It seems odd that the use of electric spinning and flapping devices are allowed. As a kid I have sat with a man who would catch birds in a clap net , clap nets can be bought on eBay for less than twenty pounds but it’s illegal to use them. I don’t think many shooters look at the wildlife and countryside act .

4 hours ago, marsh man said:

It certainly is mad with all the various calls in use in this day and age , well what is the difference with a electronic Fox caller and a battery operated Crow call ? , could you use the Crow caller if it wasn't attached to the decoy ? , when you think of all the devices used in Pigeon decoying that are run by batteries there must be a very thin line between what is legal and what isn't. :drinks: 

No you just cant shoot birds or kill birds that are coming to an electronic caller of any sort 

You can call them manually though 

8 hours ago, Gas seal said:

Hi yes it seems mad. It’s not the crow decoy it’s the recording that’s against the law. This should have been made clear when advertising the decoy. It’s only illegal if used for shooting or trapping. It seems odd that the use of electric spinning and flapping devices are allowed. As a kid I have sat with a man who would catch birds in a clap net , clap nets can be bought on eBay for less than twenty pounds but it’s illegal to use them. I don’t think many shooters look at the wildlife and countryside act .

I recon a Wood Pigeon wouldn't show the slightest bit of attention even if you were allowed to use a electronic call :lol: as for the ones you blow yourself , do you know anyone who can honestly say they work ?

At the moment there isn't any restrictions as far as I know with the amount of battery operated devices you can use in your Pigeon decoying set up , several people use two magnets , you can also add one or two flappers as they don't weigh that much , add to that you can stick out a couple of peckers , just to make it interesting you can change one of the two arm magnets , or leave it out if you like and put out one with four arms , now you really have got some movement , all legal I take it :good:

One of the deadliest decoying set ups I saw was a two arm magnet with a speed control in the middle of a good spread of full body Goose decoys , the magnet had a couple of cloth decoys that flapped exactly like a goose dropping in when landing with other geese , these two blokes had a fair bit of shooting and must had shot all they wanted as they were just watching new arrivals pitching into the decoys without firing a shot , I know it might be going against the grain with wild fowling but would that be legal ? 

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

I recon a Wood Pigeon wouldn't show the slightest bit of attention even if you were allowed to use a electronic call :lol: as for the ones you blow yourself , do you know anyone who can honestly say they work ?

At the moment there isn't any restrictions as far as I know with the amount of battery operated devices you can use in your Pigeon decoying set up , several people use two magnets , you can also add one or two flappers as they don't weigh that much , add to that you can stick out a couple of peckers , just to make it interesting you can change one of the two arm magnets , or leave it out if you like and put out one with four arms , now you really have got some movement , all legal I take it :good:

One of the deadliest decoying set ups I saw was a two arm magnet with a speed control in the middle of a good spread of full body Goose decoys , the magnet had a couple of cloth decoys that flapped exactly like a goose dropping in when landing with other geese , these two blokes had a fair bit of shooting and must had shot all they wanted as they were just watching new arrivals pitching into the decoys without firing a shot , I know it might be going against the grain with wild fowling but would that be legal ? 

Yes 

Its just the electronic calling 

5 hours ago, Gas seal said:

The man is selling an item in the for sale section. I think anyone who shoots should know the law on shooting. As said it says on the box what it is used for. 

Noone knows until someone educates them and in such a case like this i think better safe than sorry

Yes -sorry to derail a for sale thread but rather that than one of our members / shooting representatives make a mistake 

8 hours ago, jall25 said:

Noone knows until someone educates them and in such a case like this i think better safe than sorry

Yes -sorry to derail a for sale thread but rather that than one of our members / shooting representatives make a mistake 

These are not the sort of items that come up everyday , I'm not into Crow shooting so it wouldn't had been any good to me , but I was glad of all the information that was given as it would have been a good possibility that other members like myself would had thought it was alright to use in the shooting field and could have one day came un struck 

Having said that , I am sure the op won't have any trouble selling it as it would certainly be a talking point when it is put into ( action ) for what it was meant for .

On 29/09/2022 at 19:55, marsh man said:

I recon a Wood Pigeon wouldn't show the slightest bit of attention even if you were allowed to use a electronic call  as for the ones you blow yourself , do you know anyone who can honestly say they work ?

The acme crow caller that you blow into works, I keep one in my pocket all the time. Takes lots of practice and lots of breath, i find theyre good with just one lofted crow. I didn't know you could get pigeon ones but I doubt they'd work.

Electronic callers do work and work well. I used one briefly not knowing the illegality but as with much crow shooting they become educated at around the 4th shot and generally that's it for while ever you're on the land.

Good luck with the sale, crow decoys even without callers are expensive and the OPs price is fair. Often just a single crow decoy works better than a full murder.

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

The acme crow caller that you blow into works, I keep one in my pocket all the time. Takes lots of practice and lots of breath, i find theyre good with just one lofted crow. I didn't know you could get pigeon ones but I doubt they'd work.

Electronic callers do work and work well. I used one briefly not knowing the illegality but as with much crow shooting they become educated at around the 4th shot and generally that's it for while ever you're on the land.

Good luck with the sale, crow decoys even without callers are expensive and the OPs price is fair. Often just a single crow decoy works better than a full murder.

Yes , I have heard that the calls you blow yourself can and do work very well as very often when P C give a detailed report on his Crow shoots often state he used his call to get the first ones to start off with , I have also seen duck and goose call's work very well when blown at the right time , I was only referring to the pigeon call , I have many , many times sat under a tree in the height of the Summer and Pigeons have been calling away in that lovely Summer sound and other Pigeons have flown past and not shown the slightest bit of attention , In all types of calling you need to know what the different tones and sound of the bird calling mean , you might be blowing away and your call might be the sound of danger , or a night of passion , a bird call is a form of talking in the bird world and you need to understand what they are saying before the calls will work to there full potential :good:  

As mentioned. It's illegal to use an electronic call / recording to shoot but no problem for photography or observing reactions. Can also be used to practice mouth calls. I originaly bought this (imported from America) to observe reactions coupled with other ideas to attract crows. For various reasons it wasn't used & after relocating to a flat from a bigger house I'm short of storage space so it has to go. Collect from Wednesfield,  Droitwich or Telford but for the moment it's on hold for viewing