Pointer training

Higgins

Higgins,

Welcome to the forum. I'm very old and senile so the young chaps in here set me up to ask the silly questions ....what's a carded pigeon?

BTW there is a good dogtraing forum at

http://pub109.ezboard.com/bgundogandbirddogforums with contributors from GB, US, Canada, Aus.

An East Coast outfit you might be interested in in is http://www.ahdc.org/ nice people, who publish an excellent manual relative to US conditions.

Regards

Eug

An envelope sized piece of cardboard is tied to a pigeons leg with a 12" piece of yard. The pigeon in released in a large training field. The pigeon can fly but cannot go farther than 50 to 100 yards before landing again. Great for teaching a dog to handle birds. In effect, the bird teaches the dog to whoa. Used with a checkcord the dog soon learns to point and not push birds. Works great. In addition, the dogs learn to mark a bird and not chase.

Higgins:

I use this method, but I have taken to using sections of garden hose instead of the card board. Run a piece of hose on a two legged jessie of light cotton cord.

4 inches of hose the bird flys150 yards

6 inches of hose the bird flys 100 yards

8 inches of hose the bird flys 50 yards

You are correct great for teachiong young dogs to point, and mark

Gary

Sorry haven't been able to find a pic for you and I am not set up in the Digital world myself yet. Here goes will try to explain it a little clearer.

The two legged rope jessy is simply a line 3 feet long made of light cotton 1/8 " cord. Tie the cords together about 12" from the end. Make a small loop that you can feed the cord back through , making a slip loop in the end of the 12" sections. These loops are attatched to the pigeons legs by placing them above the feet.

The 2, 24" sections are used as one rope. Feed these through your differant lengths of garden hose to control how far you want the bird to fly on the flush. The idea behind this is the bird is flushed, the dog watches it fly off. You are in position to control the dog teaching it to be steady to wing. You can now re point this bird as it has not left the area. This same method can be used for teaching spaniels to sit on the flush in a controled enviroment.

If you have any questions drop me a line.