Shot Pigeons

Billy1

Went out on Saturday and shot 136 over late drillings,the game dealer has taken some , i have kept some but the rest are laying on my garage floor about 90 actualy and very shortly i will be joining them as my misses is doing her nut .What does everyone else do with their birds ?,the pigeons i mean .

Thanks

Went out on Saturday and shot 136 over late drillings,the game dealer has taken some , i have kept some but the rest are laying on my garage floor about 90 actualy and very shortly i will be joining them as my misses is doing her nut .What does everyone else do with their birds ?,the pigeons i mean .

Thanks

Maybe this site should have a separate section for surplus freshly shot pigeons, so that folk living nearby could pop over and help themselves (assuming we're not all so bored of eating pigeons that we don't want any more than we shoot ourselves...).

Thanks

Maybe this site should have a separate section for surplus freshly shot pigeons, so that folk living nearby could pop over and help themselves (assuming we're not all so bored of eating pigeons that we don't want any more than we shoot ourselves...).

Not a bad idea

Thanks

So how many did the game dealer take if you kept some, gave him some and still had 90 out of 136 left?? I would have thought the game dealer would have been the best place to get rid of them - even if you gave them away for nothing it's got to be better than chucking them.

I'm guessing by now it's all sorted one way or the other - what did you do in the end?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You guys are lucky!!!

I Love pigeon meat, I only ever shot 3 airbourne as I have never had any training or lessons, so it was point, give a bit of lead.. and erm.. thats about right, bang. then hope for the best ;)

Anyone in east sussex who has any surplus id be happy. Good meat, healthy, and easy to cook.

I only go out shooting for food now, any vermin such as magies, crows or fox is a bonus. Everything else goes to the pot, usually fresh.

Edited by Hunter

I'm the other way around. I hate pigeon meat, but get chance to shoot loads! I wish I did like it but I just can't get to grips with it. Tastes like liver to me and I'm not a big fan of that either. I keep trying, are there any ways of overcoming the flavour a bit (wine, herbs or something) so it's a little milder?

I'm the other way around. I hate pigeon meat, but get chance to shoot loads! I wish I did like it but I just can't get to grips with it. Tastes like liver to me and I'm not a big fan of that either. I keep trying, are there any ways of overcoming the flavour a bit (wine, herbs or something) so it's a little milder?

The reason they taste a bit liverery is that all flying birds pump a lot more blood round its

body I think this is where the gamy taste comes from,what I do is soak them in salted water over

night and when cooking them I use wine and stuff um with herbs and use garlic but not to much and

rosemary either casserole or roasted. experiment with them till you find how you like them but

remember don`t over kill the taste of the meat with ingredients. -------carbine---P.S My son is Chef !!

:o

The last 10 i shot went down a storm with parents and in-laws (neither had tasted pigeon before). The only person i cant get to eat them is my wife - even though i know if it was in a restaurant she'd wolf it down .... women eh! The dog is my best friend too when he can smell a bit of woodie. (if only the missus was as keen!)

Similarly if anyone has any spare birds near to me id gladly put them to good use, my shooting time is vastly reduced atm, so they would be greatly appreciated :good:

• 3 weeks later...