Experiment

dazzyboi

I just popped to the toilet, window open and i could hear fireworks going off outside.

It then dawned on me,

i would really love to strap a camara to a rocket and send it up ^^^

hmmmm, ideas ideas <_<

I can....find a phone with video capture recording abilities, obviously the owner would no longer want the phone :lol: and i would have to find some way of getting the camera safely back to earth. Again it wouldnt be possible with the £2.99 (snap) rockets that you find, more like a £25 beast :lol:

I just popped to the toilet, window open and i could hear fireworks going off outside.

It then dawned on me,

hmmmm, ideas ideas <_<

I can....find a phone with video capture recording abilities, obviously the owner would no longer want the phone :lol: and i would have to find some way of getting the camera safely back to earth. Again it wouldnt be possible with the ?2.99 (snap) rockets that you find, more like a ?25 beast :lol:

Seen this done and all the camera showed was a plume of smoke and very little else :lol:

Zeb

It then dawned on me,

hmmmm, ideas ideas <_<

I can....find a phone with video capture recording abilities, obviously the owner would no longer want the phone :lol: and i would have to find some way of getting the camera safely back to earth. Again it wouldnt be possible with the ?2.99 (snap) rockets that you find, more like a ?25 beast :lol:

Seen this done and all the camera showed was a plume of smoke and very little else :lol:

Zeb

:lol:

maybe not then!

A friend of mine tried something similar with four rockets tied together and the camera strapped to the side.

Within seconds of "take off", the contraption turned on its side, flew parallel to the ground for about 30 yards , 12 ft up in the air and crashed into a cricket pavilion wall.

He claimed it was all to do with the weight of the camera causing an imbalance.

The camera never worked again. <_<

I would stress that this action was carried out on a large secluded sports field, with no members of the public present, or at risk.

Rather than a rocket you can use a kite to get some quality results. Its actually a long standing method of ariel photography.

This is just one recent exapme I found http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_...view/html/1.stm

Obviously you'll need a decent kite, a remote control for shutter release & some padding for your camera. The professionsal winch the camera up to the kite once its flying stably & back down again before landing it to avoid damage.

Messing about with fireworks is very dangerous. Attaching objects to rockets upsets the delicate balance and could result in anything but a skyward trajectory - LIKE INTO SOMEONE'S FACE!

Some small kid reading these posts may try it and cause serious burns to himself and others. Being burned by a firework ain't like a burn from your mother's iron. The oxidising agents will use your flesh as 'fuel' and the damage could go down to the bone.

Firework combustion is like volcanic lava or fresh welding slag; NASTY. Sight is precious!

Before I am shot down by the academics, my terminology has been 'dumbed down' for, I hope, maximum effect.

Have a safe, sensible and enjoyable Bonfire Party.

FC

Messing about with fireworks is very dangerous. Attaching objects to rockets upsets the delicate balance and could result in anything but a skyward trajectory - LIKE INTO SOMEONE'S FACE!

Some small kid reading these posts may try it and cause serious burns to himself and others. Being burned by a firework ain't like a burn from your mother's iron. The oxidising agents will use your flesh as 'fuel' and the damage could go down to the bone.

Firework combustion is like volcanic lava or fresh welding slag; NASTY. Sight is precious!

Before I am shot down by the academics, my terminology has been 'dumbed down' for, I hope, maximum effect.

FC

Does the above also include flooding a rabbit warren with acetylene and then duely igniting it?

A young child is unlikely to have access to this particular gas so therefore would you deem that ok?

If it is not then then you are such a spoilsport FC.................

FC

Does the above also include flooding a rabbit warren with acetylene and then duely igniting it?

A young child is unlikely to have access to this particular gas so therefore would you deem that ok?

If it is not then then you are such a spoilsport FC.................

Spoilsport, my ****! I'm trying to protect people. You're providing fuel for the antis.

I sabble in a bit of model rocketing, got a pack of 4 'c' class solid fuel rockets somewhere still :good: I used to have a small rocket called'Astrocam' which was a fully functional rocket with parachute, engines etc. that had a cam onboard, nice.

Check Youtube for model rocket or hobby rocket. Plenty of footage about.

Attaching objects to rockets upsets the delicate balance and could result in anything but a skyward trajectory - LIKE INTO SOMEONE'S FACE!

FC

FC is right. It takes very little to send a rocket off course, and once it's going, ducking or turning your back wont help! I did a course a couple of years ago where we had to build our own miniature rockets to fly on a ballistic trajectory and hit a 25m by 25m target from 150m away. We all thought it would be a doddle, but the whole idea was to show how hard it is to predict the flight of a rocket and make it act like a ballistic missile. Most of our efforts (and there were a couple of the PhD engineers who work for me trying their hand's) went into the ground or 90 degrees skyward or off to one side, simply because we were just 'having a go', which lead to the rockets being imbalanced and going haywire. We were in a bunker for this very reason during each launch.

Remember also, fireworks are only supposed to go straight up, and therefore have very little stability and no way to right themselves once the motor ignites. Modify them in any way that makes them do anything else and you are asking for trouble!

Dont want to be a party pooper dazzy, but please, please dont do this. If you want to do it, do it right and go with hunter's suggestion of buying a proper model.

All the best

ZB

FC

I had best not say what we as boys got up to with long cardboard tubes and rockets then?

Probably where the Ragtops :good: get some of their ideas for homemade kit from, scary stuff when on the receiving end.

FC is right play safe and have respect for your own and others safety.

:good: D2D

I burnt a bit of my thumb off with a model rocket it was freightful and hilariouse at the same time, boys will be boys!

some people got to learn to have a little fun cheers i hope i didnt rub anyone the wrong way but realy they do sell these things at the hobby store for a reason yes be careful so that the only person you can hurt is your self LOL! check out you tube for some good rocket action/propane tank blasting etc LOL LOL !