where's the bloody pigeon

seth

Hello,

I have just returned from a days shooting over around 80 acres of peas in somerset, and it was ****. We did'nt see a bird all day and it seems to be the same for the last few outings. Is it just me and my shooting partner or is there a distinct lack of pigeon in the devon and somerset area. If so could someone maybe shed some light on it. :yp:

Seth welcome to the forum.

It's the same story here in Warwickshire, went out in favourable conditions last week on peas and the two of us managed 8 in 6 hours.

When i saw the weather forecast for this weekend with high pressure and little wind, haven't even been tempted to go out. :lol:

:yp:

Seth,

Same here in Glos. Plenty of idividual birds and pairs about but breeding is top of the agenda.

I shot a pea field on the Glos/Wilts Border end of April and it was a waste of time, which reaaly suprised me.

There has been a lot of discussion on the forum in recent weeks about the imposition of a close season.... No need... the birds impose their own! :yp:

If you have got any fishing rods mate get them out... :)

FM.

DURING THE LAST FEW WEEKS SPORT HAS BEEN DIFFICULT TO FIND...

THE BIRDS ARE STILL FEEDING, JUST THE HOURS THEY ARE KEEPING IS A REAL PAIN...

THE BEST FLIGHTS ARE STARTING AT 18.00hrs. EXPECT THE FIELD TO SHOOT UP TO 19.30hrs THEN IT IS ABOUT FINISHED...

CLOVER SAW THE BEST BAG OF LAST WEEK, 121 SHOTS IN 3 HOURS FROM 16.30hrs - 19.00hrs WHEN WE PACKED UP...

DON'T EVEN BOTHER TO LOOK UNTILL 16.00hrs FOR YOU WILL SEE NOTHING...

THE BIRDS WILL MOVE AT THE END OF THE MONTH FROM ABOUT 13.00hrs. THE FIRST BULK OF SQUABS WILL NEED FEEDING BY THEN. PEAS WILL BE THE FAVORED CROP. BY MID JUNE THE SHOOTING WILL BE ON SONG...

DON'T GIVE UP SO EASILY...

ALTER YOUR RECCE TIMES...

IT IS JUST THE SAME FOR ME. I HAVE TO FIND SPORT EVEN WHEN THE GOING IS TOUGH...

ALL THE VERY BEST

GARY

Against most ofthe recent experiences of fellow shooters i have had some excellent days recently.10 days ago I shot 100 on peas and yesterday 131 with 185 shots on another pea field.I was very patient as I started shooting at 10 am and stayed there until 7 pm but pigeons kept coming throughout the day.My problem is to find somebody to take the pigeons.If I leave hospital early I plan to drive 40 miles to Yorkshire game to "sell" them(that hopefully will pay for petrol).

"But Mousie, thou art no thy lane

In proving foresight may be vain:

The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men

Gang aft agley,

An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain

For promis'd joy"

Still thou art blest, compar'd wi me!

The present only toucheth thee;

But Och I backward cast my e'e,

On Prospects drear!

An forward,tho I canna see.

I guess an fear!