Jump to content

Range Rover


Mable
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 06/05/2024 at 10:44, .357shooter said:

well considering you would have to have a lobotomy to consider a range rover in the first place i am sure this type of person thinks that car looks so good.

Was it a bad day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 07/05/2024 at 13:42, scarecrow243 said:

i have had a few land rovers and a range rover over the years the old one's were good the newer one's are just junk a friend got a new land rover and when it rained water came in thru the top door seals the motor was also returned for engine problems a few times the last straw was when he reversed he broke a tail light and the whole dash turned off he gave it back to the dealers

Ah yes, but at least the water could escape via the BOTTOM door seals !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Westley - cruel, but fair comment.

I know, I've owned 4 of the damned things ! 45mph flat out up Ewloe hill, Queensferry, from a diesel Series 3. Still, by the time I was at the top, all the water inside had run out under the rear door seal !

Edited by Westley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Westley said:

I know, I've owned 4 of the damned things !

Every LandRover I have owned/known has leaked (rainwater and condensation) to an extent. It's a feature.

What does 'worry' me more now is the simply dreadful customer care offered on the modern vehicles. I have to state I don't own (a modern) one, but have several friends who do and the dealerships/support seem to be simply dreadful.

Typical example is a friend with a new (under warranty) Range Rover Sport. It has tail light issues (intermittent and flickering lights). They said they needed it for 3 days to diagnose and fix the issue. Since he has an 'app' which tells him when it has been opened, started etc. - he knows that in the 3 days it was only actually looked at for half an hour. He than had a 3 week wait for parts as the whole tail light assembly has to be changed (Canbus issues apparently).

It seems that the dealerships can sell every car they can get their hands on - and so they really aren't bothered about keeping customers happy.

It is difficult to know how many 'real' problems there are - as there are so many reports of really major breakdowns (to mention a few, V6 crankshafts, straight 4 timing chains and oil pumps, plastic coolant pipe issues, transfer box issues, water leaks round sunroof, suspension issues etc. - but other people have no problems - and dealers say they have never heard of crank failures - and yet I personally know two people to whom that has happened.

Whilst they can sell every one at full price - there is no pressure to have to work for a reputation. Just along the road from me has just bought a new Defender - brand new, top of range, over 瞿100K (apparently). I have no idea why as he never goes off road and previous two cars have been Porsche 911s. They already have a Range Rover Sport for Mrs Owner. It seems that a Defender is the latest 'must have' for the school run and office forecourt at present.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Every LandRover I have owned/known has leaked (rainwater and condensation) to an extent. It's a feature.

What does 'worry' me more now is the simply dreadful customer care offered on the modern vehicles. I have to state I don't own (a modern) one, but have several friends who do and the dealerships/support seem to be simply dreadful.

Typical example is a friend with a new (under warranty) Range Rover Sport. It has tail light issues (intermittent and flickering lights). They said they needed it for 3 days to diagnose and fix the issue. Since he has an 'app' which tells him when it has been opened, started etc. - he knows that in the 3 days it was only actually looked at for half an hour. He than had a 3 week wait for parts as the whole tail light assembly has to be changed (Canbus issues apparently).

It seems that the dealerships can sell every car they can get their hands on - and so they really aren't bothered about keeping customers happy.

It is difficult to know how many 'real' problems there are - as there are so many reports of really major breakdowns (to mention a few, V6 crankshafts, straight 4 timing chains and oil pumps, plastic coolant pipe issues, transfer box issues, water leaks round sunroof, suspension issues etc. - but other people have no problems - and dealers say they have never heard of crank failures - and yet I personally know two people to whom that has happened.

Whilst they can sell every one at full price - there is no pressure to have to work for a reputation. Just along the road from me has just bought a new Defender - brand new, top of range, over 瞿100K (apparently). I have no idea why as he never goes off road and previous two cars have been Porsche 911s. They already have a Range Rover Sport for Mrs Owner. It seems that a Defender is the latest 'must have' for the school run and office forecourt at present.

It is Main Dealerships in general. My friends BMW X3, 2 days in Main Dealers for.........wait for it........a bloomin MOT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Westley said:

It is Main Dealerships in general. My friends BMW X3, 2 days in Main Dealers for.........wait for it........a bloomin MOT

I always stay with my vehicles for mot色..to make sure it is properly checked over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Westley said:

IF you buy a BMW make sure you order the 'sleeping bag kit' !

To be fair, the BMW main agent I used (when I had a BMW under warranty) had two waiting areas, a standard area with TV, BMW magazines etc, and a 'business area' with individual work 'acoustic pods' where you could work with some privacy and had a mains plug for laptop etc. Both had very good coffee and biscuits. There was also a viewing gallery of the workshops and MoT area.

It was expensive, but you did at least get something for your money. The two 'indies' I have used have both had glass viewing onto the workshop from the waiting area.

The Toyota agent where I got my Toyota seems to have a rather limited waiting area which was shared with sales, and I don't recall seeing any window onto the MoT or workshop areas. Not particularly impressive, but I hope not to spend much time there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

To be fair, the BMW main agent I used (when I had a BMW under warranty) had two waiting areas, a standard area with TV, BMW magazines etc, and a 'business area' with individual work 'acoustic pods' where you could work with some privacy and had a mains plug for laptop etc. Both had very good coffee and biscuits. There was also a viewing gallery of the workshops and MoT area.

It was expensive, but you did at least get something for your money. The two 'indies' I have used have both had glass viewing onto the workshop from the waiting area.

The Toyota agent where I got my Toyota seems to have a rather limited waiting area which was shared with sales, and I don't recall seeing any window onto the MoT or workshop areas. Not particularly impressive, but I hope not to spend much time there!

Our local Honda agent provides a taxi into and back from the town. I plan my annual service to coincide with 'market day'. Now that the warranty and free services are over, I will use a friend's garage for servicing and MOT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Westley said:

Our local Honda agent provides a taxi into and back from the town. I plan my annual service to coincide with 'market day'. Now that the warranty and free services are over, I will use a friend's garage for servicing and MOT.

I have a very good 'arrangement' with a neighbour who has a couple of 'classic' cars where we provide a reciprocal lift service to and from garages and similar MoT's, mechanical work etc. Works well for us both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have it on good authority that the average margin to the manufacturer on a new Range Rover is 瞿45K. Although I expect by the time warranty claims have been met its down to about half that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...