Geese

welshruger

I have been invited to cull some Geese on a farm, we are going on Sunday, but I have been told that it is illegal to shoot Geese on a Sunday, can anyone shine a light on this topic please.

I think some geese are now classed as vermin and if they can't be controled by any other method then they can be shot.Not sure what species but look on BASC web site and they will tell you

Hogey

• 4 weeks later...
I have been invited to cull some Geese on a farm, we are going on Sunday, but I have been told that it is illegal to shoot Geese on a Sunday, can anyone shine a light on this topic please.

I think some geese are now classed as vermin and if they can't be controled by any other method then they can be shot.Not sure what species but look on BASC web site and they will tell you

Hogey

Only canada geese are vermin i believe.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know about other Counties rjimmer, but I do know North Yorkshire screwed up on the boundary changes, that's why we lost out on wildfowling on Sundays (stupid by-law). As you say all other game species are a no-no on Sunday but we can still shoot vermin and deer on Sundays. Cheers, Martin

The pest status of Canada Geese overrules the no shooting of wildfowler on a sunday in countys that had that bylaw N Yorkshire is one of the countys with that bylaw but now you can control Canada's on Sundays

BE VERY CAREFUL HOW YOU WRITE THINGS. As I understand it whilst the Canada goose has indeed been put on to the general license, you still, just like pigeon, have to show just cause as to why you want to shoot them outside of the wildfowling season and if your county has a no shooting on Sunday by-law then you cannot do so without a special licence from DEFRA.

Reasons as such are Health & Safety risk to the general public, crop protection, and even then like pigeon's you have to be prepared to show that all other means of protection have failed or will endanger the general public.

I don't recall anywhere where it states that "The pest status of canada geese overules the no shooting of wildfowl on sunday"!!!!!!!!

SS

http://www.basc.org.uk/media/canada_geese.pdf

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/shootingseasons

and taken from that page

Before the passing of the wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, Orders prohibiting the shooting of wildfowl on Sundays could be made under the provisions of sections 2 and 13 of the Protection of Birds Act 1954. Although Sunday Orders can still be made under Section 2 (3), none have been made. However, some Sunday Orders made prior to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 have not been repealed and are still in existence. They have the effect of making it illegal to shoot wildfowl on a Sunday in the following counties (or parts of counties in existence before the 1974 re-organisation):

Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarvon, Carmarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, Great Yarmouth County Borough, Isle of Ely, Leeds County Borough, Merioneth, Norfolk, Pembroke, Somerset, North and West Ridings of Yorkshire.

:good:

I don't recall anywhere where it states that "The pest status of canada geese overules the no shooting of wildfowl on sunday"!!!!!!!!

Believe me buster it doe's

You better check the Natural England Website then as they issue the general licences as from 1st January 2008 not Defra, and why is it that people think just because canada geese are put on the general license that that gives them the right to shoot them all year round. There are other more effective means, egg pricking, egg substitution, catching duriong the moult period june, july, injecting Parraffin into the eggs etc.

It still doesn't state that the pest status overules the wildfowl status and I'd urge anyone thinking about shooting outside of the season or their counties by-laws to check first before doing so and apply for special license if in doubt.

SS

aye geese are wildfowl but they are also pests, and so the pest status overules the wildfowl status.

All geese are not pests!!!!

Unfortunetly Canada geese are classed as pests , pink feet , greylag and white fronts are classed as wildfowl.

We used to have good canada shooting here in Norfolk , but their numbers have declined very sharply by around 2\3s and I am lucky to bag one or two a season nowadays. I suspect the species is in trouble by being out competed by greylag in Norfolk and they are much more vlunrable to shooting. Once greylags hear a few shots they rapidly learn to fly out of range. In contrast its rare to see a canada out of shotgun range if you are under them.

Suffolk shooter , I disagree with you about shooting not being the most effective means of controling canadas. Apart from shooting their natural mortality is very low as adult birds . As they are long lived birds egg pricking takes a long time before it reduces the number of birds in the flock. Shooting has an instant effect.

In addition after a few years of egg pricking many geese learn to nest in inaccessable places where egg prickers canot reach or find the nests.

anser2,

Surely the ideal solution then is to carryout all of the methods mentioned and not just the shooting side of things, too be honest I still don't see why they should be shot through the whole year, and anybody who does so is IMHO a fool and they better have concrete evidence to show that those birds are causing themselves to be a health and safety issue to the general public under the term sof the genral license.

Also if shooting was a great reducer of numbers why is it that traditionally shooting is done for game and wildfowl when the breeding season is over and why then do you think even the RSPB carryout egg pricking on their reserves instead of shooting.

SS

• 4 months later...

Are geese in season? I was under the impression that during the shooting season Canada#s are classed as geese but out of season they're subject to the general license.

If it aint Canada's I reiterate my first sentence. Are geese in season?

Dave

Geese are definitely NOT in season at this time. Shooting Canadas as vermin i.e. out of season is also fraught with problems and like most shooting law would be best avoided unless you like lots of hassle. Also most 'sportmen' would consider it a NO NO similar to shooting hares 'out of season'.

Geese are definitely NOT in season at this time. Shooting Canadas as vermin i.e. out of season is also fraught with problems and like most shooting law would be best avoided unless you like lots of hassle. Also most 'sportmen' would consider it a NO NO similar to shooting hares 'out of season'.

There isn't a hare season on enclosed land :rolleyes:

Look guys this is a pigeon shooting section - not goose shooting not hare shooting.

But anyone not sure about what species are on the quarry list as pests and what species are 'game' have a look at the Defra web site and/or the Basc web site.

I think what Highlander meant when he refers to shooting hares out of season is that although the brown hare does not have an official close season, it is classed as game and traditionally shot during the 'game' season and left alone to breed from March through summer. (typically there are hare drives in Feb after end of game seaon)

Cheers C.B. :good:

Edited by Country Boy

Look guys this is a pigeon shooting section - not goose shooting not hare shooting.

But anyone not sure about what species are on the quarry list as pests and what species are 'game' have a look at the Defra web site and/or the Basc web site.

I think what Highlander meant when he refers to shooting hares out of season is that although the brown hare does not have an official close season, it is classed as game and traditionally shot during the 'game' season and left alone to breed from March through summer. (typically there are hare drives in Feb after end of game seaon)

Cheers C.B. :lol:

:yp: I think! therefore I am.