Le Chameau Mouflon Boots

flytie

Don't buy Le chameau mouflons, I had one pair crack in less than four months, nikwaxed every week! After being sent away to be analysied by a firm in Lancs they grudgingly replaced them with their new model. They are cracking too and the rand is coming away as well as being less padded, therefore less comfy than the last pair! Be Warned

Ft

ps; Try this link too for the full picture of what mouflons perform like; http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index...showtopic=27559

I am fan of Le Chameau wellies, but . . .

I have had mine yonks and they great, my mate bought a pair recently and <seemed> thinner, either way he didn't like them and flogged them on ebay and bought another pair of Aigles.

I bought a pair of Aubrac (the shorter ones) walking boots and the rubber banding came away from the leather before I even wore them.

After a protracted battle with The Sportsman ("the warranty is held with the manufacturer not with us" - BS)

I got a refund in the end and bought a pair of Meidl's

They may be £130 ish but they are without doubt the best walking boots I have ever owned.

They have up/down big hills in Wales and Scotland on may occasions and are rediculously comfortable once broken in.

mrs stuartp also has a pair and wears hers every day dog walking and twice a week beating during the season and with a clean up they are as good as new.

There are quite a few happy Mouflon wearers on here, lets see what they have to say say.

I have Meindls, the Douvre's. Most of my keeper mates wear them, they have been comfy from the off, although I can't speak for the ruggedness as they are too new. I know there are people on here who have had good success with the Le Chameau's, I think LB had a pair and rated them. Maybe the quality control has taken a dive.

:good:

I have a pair of Aldi's walking boots, I've worn them in all weathers and conditions for well over a year, they dry out after cleaning, still as flexible as ever, and the tread etc is still good. I think I paid about £16-, no more than that definately, but its well over a year ago. I have added one extra to them, I found a pair of insoles from an old pair of running trainers, I've put them in, and they're even more comfortable. I hope to get another 2 - 3 years out of them at least.

:blush:

I have the Le Chameau Mouflon Plus GTX and they are great boots!

I have had them for about 5 months and cannot fault them, if i was to give them a clean i wouldnt be able to tell the difference between mine and brand new ones! i wear them about 3 days a week, one of those days is keepering.

Try the link on my original post, something is wrong somewhere with the production at least some of the time! The after sales service sucks big time, took them 8 weeks to replace what were obviously faulty goods. And the new ones seem to be no better. Not good enoughh Mr Waktare, definately not good enough :good:

ft

I have to say I had a pair of the Le Chameau Morvan boots which have the suede uppers and they have lasted 6 months. Its not the uppers thats the issue with mine but the soles. The cushioning has completely dissintegrated on one. Sadly I bought mine from the US but I can't say I'm that impressed as I'm usually light on boots

Guest The Outlaw

Calamity Jane AKA Mrs Outlaw bought me a pair of Hunter Neo-Galloway's in size 14

Nice and warm and have taken a bashing in the past 2 years, there are like new when washed :good:

Tony

iv got a pair of le chameau mouflon plus ithink the boots are realy good

very comfy, warm,waterproof,but i had a problem with one of the hooks

that the lace goes round it snapped ,phoned john norris they told me to

send the boots back to them ,they sent them to france to the le chameau

factory, they repaired them sent them back to me 6 weeks later ,iv worn

the boots 3 times since and the same hook has snapped again so im a bit

pi**ed off ,so dont think il be buying le chameau again :good:

pi**ed off ,so dont think il be buying le chameau again :rolleyes:

edited 9/11/07 phoned john norris today ,boots will be picked up tuesday

and send back to be repaired free of charge :drinks:

pi**ed off ,so dont think il be buying le chameau again :rolleyes:

edited 9/11/07 phoned john norris today ,boots will be picked up tuesday

and send back to be repaired free of charge :drinks:

My dealer, Bredon Hill Shooting Supplies, told me to contact le chameau direct, which I did. I had a correspondence with a woman called "janet jane", who was to say the least a little snotty with me. John Norris are a good firm to deal with and carry a lot of clout in the trade because of their purchasing power. Good luck to you.

ft

My Meindl Dovre extremes are excellent, they look almost exactly like mouflons but having had Meindls for years and sold them for quiet a few i know they are all built well from good leather.

I've never had a pair let me down and have only seen 3 or 4 pairs going back to meindl with problems, with the amount we sold thats very impressive.

Maybe the problem with the la chameau boots is that they don't sell a vast amount and have short production runs, meaning small orders of leather every few months causing more variation between boot's? Just a thought :lol:

Also there is something to be said for thes age old campanys like scarpa, zamberlain, meindl etc with their years of leatherwork (cobbling?) experience, aswell as the dark art of choosing the right leather for any given job......

By the way i picked up my Dovres for £140 rather than the full £200 or so, can't remember where, you'll have to dig through google :drool:

• 5 years later...

i have had my mouflons just over 5yrs now and use and abuse them. they have many many miles under their belt over and through anything and everything the uk has to offer, even wading through salt water

and not treating them for weeks after has not effected them. they look nothing like the pair on the link from flytie. i have used laksen natural balm, grangers and nikwax from time to time over the years.

so far in over 5yrs all thats happened so far is that the top crease above your toe joints has cracked but nikwax leather conditioner has fixed that and on each boot at same place the rand at the top has come unstuck due to the flex when walking. the soles are showing faint signs of wear now. would i buy another pair when these finally give up the ghost??? too right i would as they are excellent value for money and don't need breaking in. just buy them take them out of the box and walk in comfort.

i don't work in the trade just walk a lot in the best i can afford