Working two dogs

Browning

Gents,

I have just been offered a Black Lab bitch pup from a gamekeeper pals bitch which is due in July. The only stipulation being that if she turns out to be a good worker, then I breed from her in a few years time and he has pick of litter. No problems with any of that.

My only concern is that I currently have a 14 month old GSP dog, who is coming on nicely, and should make a decent working dog (for what I do anyway). And ideally I would have waited a couple of years before taking on another dog, but maybe I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth ?

As I've never run two dogs at the same time, and by the time the lab is ready to start formal training the GSP should hopefully be into "ongoing maintenance", is there anything to watch out for in terms of training regimes, i.e. Should they be trained completely seperately, same/different commands, different pitch whistle ?

Any help or advice, as always, very much appreciated.

Browning:

first off if you are looking to run these two dogs together in the field, I would advise against it. Dont get me wrong it can be done, but you will have to completely opposite styles of dog out there flusher and pointer. What usally happens is the flusher will start to bust the pointers birds, the pointer gets frustrated and stops pointing becoming a flusher.

If you do decide to get the pup and become a two dog owner hunting the pair to gether or seperatly I would recommend that you train seperately, but play together, so romps and ball chasing are together time so that the dogs bond to each other as well as you. Train to differant whistles, you will start to figure out why some of us wear 3 or 4 differant whistles on our landyards.( and you thought it was just a fashion statement) Also I like to use differant training commands on my personnal dogs that I will be running in team or tandem. This allows me to slow one dog up while I reposition another in the field. Please not with that being said this is a personal preferance and is completely up to you.

One last note start the little Beggers obediance training at 8 weeks, it is better to train good habbits , than untrain bad.

Good luck and keep it Fun

Hi Browning

Firstly this is not a gift as such, your being given a pup then if you put the training in and are successful you have to give one back. So you shouldn't let this be an major factor, you should ask your self if you really want another pup at this time, is the breeding of this pup what you would go for if you were in the market to buy one, do you have the time and facilities to do both dogs justice. Would you be using both dogs for the same purpose. Do you actually need two dogs for what you do. I'm not wishing to appear overly negative I would rather you seriously consider all aspects thoroughly so you do not end up with two partly trained dogs tearing your hair out. Don't let the offer of an apparent freebee cloud your judgement.

Training two dogs. Providing non of the above presents any difficulty for you, especially the time factor, then it will work if you make the appropriate allowances and adjustments. Bonding properly with a new pup will demand far more of your time that the training you are currently spending with your GSP, but should in no way compromise the existing training schedule. The two dogs have to be trained separately until your GSP if fully steady to another dog and you lab would not be distracted by its presence. Early basics with the lab must be on a one to one basis to stand any chance of working. Your attitude has to be that you are training two separate dogs, you take one out and follow your established training programme, then you take another dog out and follow a different training programme. As for whistle and signals etc. you don't say what you intend using the dog(s) for.

The danger is that as your GSP gets older the training will become far more challenging and time consuming and you must not allow yourself to be sidetracked into training the pup as an easier option for the time available, both dogs deserve your undivided attention in training.

I know the foregoing seems heavy but I have seen too many dogs fail due to an overstretched trainer so I'm just asking that you count to ten.

If after all I've said you are still keen and confident, and your decision is for all the right reasons.......go for it.......I've got eight labs.

Jeff

NTTF & Jeff,

Thankyou for your advice gents, it has given things to think about.

Time is no problem, as I work for myself and from home, so can always make time to get out and about.

My original plan was always to get another black lab (I grew up with them) from good working stock, to bring on as a rough shooting dog.

Then I made the mistake of taking Mrs Browning to see a pal of mine that had a rescued 8 month old GSP that he needed to re-home, although our GSP was never taken as a gun dog and does not come from working stock, he is showing good working ability and is very biddable, so everything that he learns and does well is a real bonus for me.

The other thing is that I've always had two dogs in the past and kinda get used to having them around.

I'll see how things pan out over the next month and re-access nearer the time.

Thanks again for your advice, it is very much appreciated.

Andy

Browning

My grandfather always kept and worked worked two dogs together generally a Springer Bitch ( Lisa) and a neutered Lab Dog ( Ceasar)

Both were kept together but he trained them individually. As NTTF says each dog has its own job to do and the Lab was always stood by the gun marking to retrieve and the Springer hunting up and flushing game. They worked very well together and I remember they were always a hit on the local shooting circuits.

I once had 2 ESS dogs which were from the same litter and worked them together but without much success as they were in competition with each other for the same function. I would have thought at least wth a GSP and a Lab this might not give the same problem.

Saying that, although the GSp is a very adaptable dog he sounds like he might be very slightly spoilt as a Gun Dog and a little too domesticated to get the best out of.

I am in a similar situation at the moment. I have a 14month old cocker dog who is a grand chap and very willing, but he is now spoiled by the wife and kids and sees his hierarchical place as being curled up at my wifes feet in front of the telly. Although I have partly trained him to the gun I know he will now never be completely adapted to work. That is why I have purchased a new ESS pup from Mad Springer which will be trained solely as a working dog.

I have from my own experience also found it very difficult to run two dogs and shoot at the same time.

I would whole heartedly agree with NTTF comments about early obedience training.

I am in no way an expert on Gun dog training but hope this is of some help.

FM.

Thanks Mike, it sounds like you are in a similar position.

I'm going to take stock at the end of June and see how things are looking, I will

always do right by my GSP, just because he seems to enjoy doing what he does so much, even though he'll never be as "polished" as lots of other GSP's, but he's

part of the family and always will be.

I always intended to get a second dog, I probably wouldn't have thought about a second dog until next year if my pal hadn't offered me one of his pups, but I've always admired the way his dogs work, and his bitch is a stunning looking dog.

Cheers,

Browning