How did we all get on today?

Evil Elvis

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it seems that the scores are finally on the up!

Mid Norfolk today, shot 68 ex 100, and got my first stand straight in weeks!

Pretty happy overall, but the squading system was ******* atrocious. I've never shot squaded in sporting (obviously have with skeet), but it was ridiculous! For a start he told me to start on stand 4, where my squad were (i was busy when they went without me), but they weren't there, they started at 1. When i did catch up with them they were on 2. But by the time we got to 4, three more squads were there ahead of us that he had just sent out!!!!

Very poor organisation, but good shooting nonetheless!

Stu

Well shot Stuart, good to see you're improving, Mid Norfolk is a tough ground, I hadn't realised they'd introduced squadding there, it really is a pain in the you know what. B)

Still, you'd better get used to it if you want to shoot any Sporting majors, 'cos they're all shot this way now, (ask Mungler about last years British Open at High Lodge..!! :o ).

Cat.

Outlaw and I did a couple a shoots today, a 50 bird sporting at our local in Bucks, wasn't too bad when I set up but then the wind really came in and it became a 'mare. closed on 26/50 and I think the Outlaw got 33/50

Then went on to Sywell with to shoot across 6 disciplines, Skeet, Double rise, ABT, DTL, Sport Trap and sporting. Got there late and ran out of light (finished at about 4.45) but got better scores in more challenging conditions. B)

There's no way of measuring these things that makes any sense, we'd need to shoot indoors to make it measurable :o

Be warmer and drier tho :sneaky2:

Edited by BrowningBoy

Slight glitch today, shot a 33 ex 70. Was a little dissapointed just after, but had a really good time with the old man. Some really "interesting" birds with the wind blowing the way it was. One poor chap from the group in front was shooting a simple left right crosser, all on to flatten the stand, as he pulled the trigger the wind caught it and it jumped up a foot an a half. Another corker of a bird I only saw hit 3 times by about 12 people all shooting in front of me. Everyone took it all in good spirit, and whenever a bird was killed, you could hear the crowd waiting at the stand cheer!

Guest The Outlaw
Outlaw and I did a couple a shoots today, a 50 bird sporting at our local in Bucks, wasn't too bad when I set up but then the wind really came in and it became a 'mare. closed on 26/50 and I think the Outlaw got 33/50

Then went on to Sywell with to shoot across 6 disciplines, Skeet, Double rise, ABT, DTL, Sport Trap and sporting. Got there late and ran out of light (finished at about 4.45) but got better scores in more challenging conditions. :sneaky2:

There's no way of measuring these things that makes any sense, we'd need to shoot indoors to make it measurable :o

Be warmer and drier tho :lol:

It was certainly a challenging day with Calam Bboy and I all ending up in the 90's I had 96, Bboy had 94,and Calam had 91 all out of 155 :sneaky2: great fun though and it was good to see Annie Oakley shoot well on the skeet, sporttrap and sporting.

An interesting point made by one of the trappers about Annie's 20 bore fusion semi auto, was as it is quite light it is harder to keep it swinging than a o/u. He suggested taping a cartrige either side of the barrel with duck tape to see if it helps keep the swing going. I personally think Bboy should get her an o/u now and she can really whoop his butt :lol:

My back is killing me now, even after taking drugs B) for the first time for pain and I am having an early night.

Unless there is something good on PW to get into tonight :lol:

Tony

Guest The Outlaw
An interesting point made by one of the trappers about Annie's 20 bore fusion semi auto, was as it is quite light it is ....... I personally think Bboy should get her an o/u now and she can really whoop his butt :lol:

You sold me the d*mm thing :lol:

Do you think he was right? I think he has a point but swinging your gun smoothly and accuratley is the main thing Annie can do that she just needs to swing it a bit harder.

I was well impressed with her shooting today and with a bit more experience and practice we will have to watch our backs.

Good on her, and if the o/u route looks good she will need to swing harder to get the gun moving.

So much of a muchness really. A bit more effort needed the finness is there for sure.

I cant wait to see how she shoots when she has had a full year at it.

Btw if Annie want she can swap the fusion for our 325 no extra charge.

But I would let her test it out for a few months before comitting.

She will progress naturally and she needs to walk before running, She, you and me know that.

I cant impress on her enough how well she has done in such a short time, fair play to her :unsure: :lol: :lol:

Tony

I think he probably was right, those trappers seem to know their stuff, see so many shooting styles they must have a good idea of what works.

Annie knows she's stopping on the target and needs to work on her swing, heavier barrels may promote the movement but it would be masking the issue I guess, once she got used to the weight she'd be back to square one.

I think it's that she's lost a little confidence in herself and the gun (after that mechanism failure!) and needs to go back to beleiving in it again, subliminally she's not 100% sure it's going to work for her, the flames in the dark yesterday fazed her as well :unsure:

I'll keep the fusion, it's a nice little gun and if that 325 is for sale then we can discuss, got to be worth at least £50 :lol:

Went to Manchester today, with the Mossy pump :lol: :lol: :good:

Shot 79/100 which is about the same as I'd expect to get with my Beretta 682 Gold E <_<

Why do we spend all this money on expensive kit?

I paid less than 200 quid for the Mossberg and it was a lot more fun :huh::lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Chard

Well bit more pleased with todays results than last weeks. I shot 2 rounds of 50 sporting today, first 25 ex 50 and the second was 31 ex 50. getting a bit more consistent now and better at reading targets. Just need to be consistently better. Guys I ended up shooting with were doing higher 30's, one chap put in a 44 and it is his shoot.

Well, consistency seems to be the name of my scores at the moment!

In the last three weeks of outings to sporting 100 bird days, I have scored 67, 68 and 68.

Can't complain really, but a while ago i got stuck in the 50's, and now it seems to be the 60's that I just cant clear!

Still, good consistency!

Stu

Well, consistency seems to be the name of my scores at the moment!

In the last three weeks of outings to sporting 100 bird days, I have scored 67, 68 and 68.

Can't complain really, but a while ago i got stuck in the 50's, and now it seems to be the 60's that I just cant clear!

Still, good consistency!

Stu

Yep, your right there, Stu, you are consistantly **** :huh:???:lol: Hoo Hoo, Only a joke, your doing OK, really. :rolleyes::good:

I would be happy to be stuck in the 60% bracket, typically seem to be in the 50%, but have only been shooting properly for about a month so there is scope for improvement.

Yea, no probs there bud, You are doing ok, cant run before you can walk! stick at it, you will get there.!

Good day for me today, I equalled my PB and had 75 ex 100, and although I've done that score before, I really felt that I worked hard for this one, and that I really deserved it this time! (Last time was a bit of a case of 'beginners luck' as I had not shot a reg sporting day before that!)

Had to concentrate very hard, but managed to pull it off! Got three straight stands (the second and third were in succession), and should have had a fourth (which would have followed the second and third), but i dropped two B birds.

Great day all in all!

It has now pushed my adjusted average up to 68.57%, which means that as it stands at the moment I am heading for a B class, which is not a bad thing, but i was hoping to stay as a C class to get some more experience.

And how about everyone else?

Stu

Another humbling day for me at Catton Hall. :good:

Shot Birds Only in a registered shoot today and got 68/100 :blush:

Strange mixture. I straighted 4 stands and there were another 4 stands where I only dropped one (out of total 14 stands). Just made an **** of the rest :good:

Good experience I suppose, no good shooting at Manchester every week, gotta put it abart a bit :unsure: :)

Good day out in good company :good:

Edited by Chard

Two weeks ago after a month lay off i shot the 120 birder at westfields and shot 92 which was about 18 away from high gun - I also slipped on my **** and slid about 4 meters before i stopped moving, i got up unscathed but looked like i had just been in a mud wrestling match.. :unsure:

Today i shot Nigel harts 6 dials in Monmouth a 120 bird mega sporting (All targets at range)

I shot 94/120 and this gave me high gun with a 6 target margin :blush::good:

In light of the other scores today, mine does not seem so great, but I was very very pleased with my performance today.

I shot a 45 ex 70 which is a new personal best for me. This is the second weekend running I have beaten my PB and dare I say it, I could be up in the 60% region consistently...... that will have done it, back the 50% next week!

I had a great day today.

I still have no gun so I'm shooting with a borrowed

gun. I hit the most I've done to date which was 26 out of 50.

Nowhere near you guys but I was chuffed as punch. :unsure:

More to the point as well, I'm now starting to realise when I

shoot good or not so good. I know that I could of hit at least

10 more than I did but missed for very silly reasons.

Does that make sense?

Chuffed taz.

Today i shot Nigel harts 6 dials in Monmouth a 120 bird mega sporting (All targets at range)

I shot 94/120 and this gave me high gun with a 6 target margin :):D

I'd might do OK at something like that :unsure:

I can hit distant targets, it's the close stuff that gets me :lol::blush::good: :good: :good: