which dog!!!!!!!!!!!!&

If you want a dog to be ready for, say September, then you are looking for one that is at least 9 months old now and well into its basic training. Expect to pay upwards of £800 for such a dog.

One advantage of buying a dog at that age is that you will get a better idea of its "personality". This may be important to you as you say you want one that is good with kids and doesn't get your wife excited.

Go for whichever breed you personally like best. Either a labrador or a springer will make a good shooting dog if it is from FTCh stock and you train it well.

fishandshoot

A lab is too big and a springer too crazy ( Great dogs though)

A nice Cocker would be the ideal. They are brilliant with the kids very adaptable in the home and an ideal dual purpose dog. I have one who is a fine chap is very undemanding can do anything that a lab can do and more besides. Glad to see they are becoming increasingly popular in the field. Labradors are fine dogs ( For Women and Old men :yp: , dont get me wrong,) but just dont have the flexibility of a Spaniel. ( And I have kept and worked all three)

FM.

I have had both springers and Labs before.

If I was in your shoes I would get a lab. Whatever people say they are superb dogs.

The only thing I have to say about Cockers is that one forgets how short their legs are :) As a result they can get tired quicker in the field than say a lab.

This for me is a major factor as most of my shooting is rough.

Labs are great with kids and great in the field.

Plus (in MY opinion) they have slightly more brain power than your average springer :yp: :D

If its rough shooting they will be used for I would suggest a springer although they are harder to train there is no cover that a springer won't venture into and their work-rate is second to none.

If its for sitting in a hide etc a labrador would be better because they have the tendancy to not be as mad as springer.

My Dad's had lab/springer crosses for about 20 years - very handsome dogs and, having guaged the balance on the dog (you want the steadiness/nous of the lab with the energy, enthusiasm and hunting prowess of the springer) make great family pets as well as competent hunter/retrievers.

Get thee a huntin' mongrel and get twice the benefit for half the cash.