Eley 12 bore cartridge "SG" ?

Good evening,  I am new to the forum and looking for some advice.  

I have a small number of Eley shotgun cartridges,  plastic case, 12 bore , the word "Kynoch" is stamped on the head. I have no idea what the powder weight is, or the shot size. The crimp is rolled over a brown cardboard disc with the letters "SG".  Guessing this is the shot size but I have no idea.  There are no markings on the case only the words "made in England".  

The cartridges belonged to a deceased relative, suspect they are quite old. There is no box/packaging.

Thoughts anyone ?  

A bit big for geese! SG is buckshot equivalent for USA #0 buckshot at approximately .32" of an inch. Some say SG is also "Special Game". But to be hnest all these SG, SSG, Special SG be they special game, small game, special goose, "lettered shot" or "moulded shot" or whatever folk interpret the letters as and etc. are much of a muchness. Legal to posses on an standard SGC and used once upon a time for deer when roe deer were considered as vermin on many estates and shot on roe drives. Also used in WWII as Home Guard issue for anti-personnel use. Think German parachute troops and etc..

Edited by enfieldspares

1 minute ago, enfieldspares said:

A bit bit for geese! SG is buckshot equivalent for USA #0 buckshot at approximately .32" of an inch. Legal to posses on an SGC and used once upon a time for deer when roe deer were considered as vermin on many estates and shot on roe drives. Also used in WWII as Home Guard issue for anti=personnel use. Think German parachute troops and etc..

Is the correct answer.

edit: cartridges are not that old if they are plastic cases. Late 1960’s maximum.

Edited by London Best

The second biggest shot size after LG, each pellet 8.4 mm, and 3.5 grams.Rather large for geese shooting.Probably produced in the early 1970’s when plastic cases really got started,Would have cost about £1.10 for 25 then.

2 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

stands for grape shot.  legacy from the days of musketry and cannons.

LG  large grape

MG  medium grape

SG small grape

SSG  half the weight of SG

SSSG half the weight of SSG  and so on

Thank you. It makes sense and even if not true it ought to be as it makes absolute sense. 100%. Thank you. Do you have, please, a source to link to?

Edited by enfieldspares

19 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Thank you. It makes sense and even if not true it ought to be as it makes absolute sense. 100%. Thank you. Do you have, please, a source to link to?

Ive not really unfortunately its just one of them things you find out and you never remember when or how you learned it. had a look and started to doubt myself thinking i must be wrong as ive heard a few people refer to it as special goose but its far to big for geese.

found this on wikipedia. however i will be the first to admit wiki can be a bit of a questionable source. but its clearly floating around somwhere.

"The British system for designating buckshot size is based on the amount of shot per ounce. The sizes are LG (large grape – from grapeshot derived from musket shooting), MG (medium grape), and SG (small grape). For smaller game, SSG shot is half the weight of SG, SSSG shot is half the weight of SSG, SSSSG shot is half the weight of SSSG, and so on. The Australian system is similar, except that it has 00-SG, a small-game cartridge filled with 00 buckshot."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_cartridge

down in the buckshot section.