pigeons on the stubble

36 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

got home from work at 3 packed up at 6 had 22 lots about,it was hot so came home, out tomorrow on the wheat,

Good for you Mossy. Nice to see you are getting a few.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Well done Mossy. I am coming to the end of my shooting in Somerset just at a time when the pigeons seem to have found the place. 

Why is that oowee ? 

There seems to be plenty of birds about this year, round our way .

Despite my best efforts for the farmer .

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

Why is that oowee ? 

There seems to be plenty of birds about this year, round our way .

Despite my best efforts for the farmer .

I have been shooting pretty much full time for the last 10 years but now time for a change. I have the house up for sale as I want to spend some time sailing, whilst i am able. I have sold some of my rifles and the rest are to go to storage. I hope to move down to Cornwall and when I come back for winter do some shooting down there. I have moved on around 20 farms to other shooters so that the shooting is not lost from the system. 

Still going to book Africa 😁

2 hours ago, oowee said:

I have been shooting pretty much full time for the last 10 years but now time for a change. I have the house up for sale as I want to spend some time sailing, whilst i am able. I have sold some of my rifles and the rest are to go to storage. I hope to move down to Cornwall and when I come back for winter do some shooting down there. I have moved on around 20 farms to other shooters so that the shooting is not lost from the system. 

Still going to book Africa 😁

Well done for passing on the farms. 
I’ve been shooting as often as possible for 30 years and still as keen as ever, a shame it’s lost its appeal for you but sounds like you’ve got another hobby to occupy your time now (great to have hobbies). 

8 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Well done for passing on the farms. 
I’ve been shooting as often as possible for 30 years and still as keen as ever, a shame it’s lost its appeal for you but sounds like you’ve got another hobby to occupy your time now (great to have hobbies). 

Thank you. Its not lost its appeal and I am finding the change hard to manage but i could not do justice to the land on a part time basis. We all know when a farmer wants you there then there is no where else to be. My shooting was at least 5 times a week and with the paid programs often 12 hours a day for weeks on end, so more lifestyle than a hobby. Shooting gets in your blood. The sailing will be a different lifestyle choice as I will be living on the boat for the season. 

For now I will have to wait for my fix till April next year when I have a particular target in my sights in Limpopo 😁

Good shooting. 

14 hours ago, mossy835 said:

got home from work at 3 packed up at 6 had 22 lots about,it was hot so came home, out tomorrow on the wheat,

Yep it was a bit warm and sticky yesterday so well done in shooting a few , wheat seems to-be the crop they are hitting the hardest at the minute, don't know what its like around the country but there's some big numbers around here this year, last week and this week I have had 5 farmers calling me with pigeons and blacks hitting the wheat, got to one field yesterday at 11am and could not believe the numbers that lifted off the laid wheat.

Well done again and keep your eye on the wheat fields.:good:

Edited by old'un

thanks well went out after work looked at the wheat fields,not many there i shot one,started to rain so wet up the farm saw  the farmers wife in the yard,she said not many on the barley stubble today,the sun was not out went up the wood hopeing for some to fly over, stated to rain so came home out again on saturday, 

8 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

thanks well went out after work looked at the wheat fields,not many there i shot one,started to rain so wet up the farm saw  the farmers wife in the yard,she said not many on the barley stubble today,the sun was not out went up the wood hopeing for some to fly over, stated to rain so came home out again on saturday, 

if you have any standing/laid wheat on your farms then keep an eye on them :good:

11 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

Well at least you had tried mossy , these light nights are slowly pulling in and it won't be long before you would have to finish a bit early and then get a move on to get a couple of hours shooting , we never had any rain today although it is clouding up now and we should get some fairly heavy rain tonight .   MM