BASC builds relationships with Humberside and Cheshire PCCs

BASC has met Jonathan Evison, re-elected PCC for Humberside, and Dan Price, the new PCC for Cheshire and both have committed to working with BASC to improve firearms licensing in their areas.

One of the PCCs commented on the high number of BASC members that had contacted him prior to his election in May – a reflection of the importance of engaging with elected representatives.

https://basc.org.uk/basc-builds-relationships-with-humberside-and-cheshire-pccs/

11 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Shame you didn't oppose the costly medical certificates brought in on the back of the Plymouth nutter who should never have had a shotgun in the first place.  Police incompetence equals persecution of legal shooting folk.

GPs started charging for verification of medical declaration forms against medical records in 2016. I think what you are referring to is the statutory guidance for firearms licensing. Did you respond to the firearms licensing consultation last year? Did you contact your candidate PCCs during the PCC elections? 

9 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

GPs started charging for verification of medical declaration forms against medical records in 2016. I think what you are referring to is the statutory guidance for firearms licensing. Did you respond to the firearms licensing consultation last year? Did you contact your candidate PCCs during the PCC elections? 

I was talking about the mandatory Medical Forms now required for every application not Doctors verifying answers on an application as you well know.  Your questions are totally irrelevant but.  Q1 Yes.  Q2 No, why on earth would I?  I also regard them the same as Mayors of big cities (e.g. Burnham and Khan) and devolved Govt's, a total and utter waste of Taxpayers money.

Edited by Weihrauch17

47 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

I was talking about the mandatory Medical Forms now required for every application not Doctors verifying answers on an application as you well know.  Your questions are totally irrelevant but.  Q1 Yes.  Q2 No, why on earth would I?  I also regard them the same as Mayors of big cities (e.g. Burnham and Khan) and devolved Govt's, a total and utter waste of Taxpayers money.

Thanks for clarifying and I think there is value in contacting PCCs - the OP states that one of the PCCs commented on the high number of BASC members that had contacted him prior to his election in May – a reflection of the importance of engaging with elected representatives.

As regards the 2021 statutory guidance that made medical verification for all certificate applicants mandatory the following may help:

https://basc.org.uk/basc-medical-panels/

Connor good post but i would like to see BASC talk to all the PCC.S and FLD.S to ask them to all sing from the same sheet as some counties are going back 20 years for medical problems  and some going back 10 

12 hours ago, armsid said:

Connor good post but i would like to see BASC talk to all the PCC.S and FLD.S to ask them to all sing from the same sheet as some counties are going back 20 years for medical problems  and some going back 10 

Thanks, yes we are using every avenue to seek improvements and consistency of approach including meetings with PCCs. Two weblinks of interest below.

https://basc.org.uk/firearms-licensing-is-in-crisis-basc-tells-parliamentary-committee-inquiry/ 

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/BASC-response-to-Home-Office-firearms-consultation-final.pdf 

It will be the new policing minister that will make decisions impacting on firearms law and ownership and Labour’s Diane Johnson has been given the role. We have written to the minister asking for a meeting. 

BASC’s campaign during the Police and Crime Commissioner elections has secured commitments from 28 newly elected PCCs to improve firearms licensing. 

During the campaign no replies were received from the elected PCC for the following forces: Avon and Somerset, Bedfordshire, Cleveland, Derbyshire, Durham, Dyfed Powys, Lancashire, Merseyside, Northumbria, Nottinghamshire, West Midlands,

If you have a certificate for any of the above areas please write to your new PCC asking them to ensure adequate resources are given to firearms licensing and setting up an independent advisory group. If you get a reply please forward to me at conor.ogorman@basc.org.uk 

15 hours ago, armsid said:

And Conor given the enduring marker why is a GP report needed at the next application.

Please do not say because not all GPs are putting the medical markers on certificate holders medical records because if so then god forbid when or if the next plymouth happens will the truth be told that the process does not work as the public think it does.

15 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Please do not say because not all GPs are putting the medical markers on certificate holders medical records because if so then god forbid when or if the next plymouth happens will the truth be told that the process does not work as the public think it does.

An interesting observation I saw recently was that when you come across a GP that refuses to engage with the process and are forced to use one of the third party medical companies they get a copy of the medical record and not access to the patients record. As I understand it this means that they are not placing any markers resulting in those having used such a service not ending up with a marker on their medical records.

6 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

And Conor given the enduring marker why is a GP report needed at the next application.

BASC has highlighted this issue and will continue to do so. Some links below from 2021 specifically on medical markers, which remain valid, as per your concerns.

https://basc.org.uk/lack-of-gp-involvement-in-firearms-licensing-highlighted-in-the-times/ 

https://basc.org.uk/medical-issue-left-unanswered-in-home-office-firearms-licensing-statutory-guidance/ 

1 hour ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

BASC has highlighted this issue and will continue to do so. Some links below from 2021 specifically on medical markers, which remain valid, as per your concerns.

https://basc.org.uk/lack-of-gp-involvement-in-firearms-licensing-highlighted-in-the-times/ 

https://basc.org.uk/medical-issue-left-unanswered-in-home-office-firearms-licensing-statutory-guidance/ 

Thank you for the response, is there any data on the scale of the problem? example the number of applications each year where the applicant has used a third party GP to produce the GP report? And what is the trend year on year for the number of applicants using a third part GP?

Do Basc collect any such data from its list of supportive GPs?

Edited by rbrowning2