Clodhopper in the Cotswolds.

JDog

A visit by Clodhopper from the Lincolnshire Wolds was eagerly anticipated. It started in earnest today.

We piddled around this morning. I knew from recent trips out looking that pigeons were not feeding in the mornings. We had three options, one a field of laid wheat and two fields of rape stubbles. Despite the fact that there was a tractor ripping up one rape stubble that's where we chose to go as there was good pigeon movement in the vicinity.

Ten plastic decoys either side of the magnet and we were set. We put up 300 pigeons with the first shot and they scattered far and wide. When they returned they were very high but some decoyed. During the course of the afternoon we saw a magnificent line to our left but we couldn't get under it due to the vicinity of the village and farm buildings and a cottage.

We did though have a fair bit of shooting and picked fifty five pigeons. I subsequently typed out my own licence to distribute pigeons in feather and duly delivered them to a pub where I am now in considerable credit for beverages.

A word on Clodhopper's young Labrador who was steady all afternoon and picked some otherwise lost birds.

It was great to catch up with my old mate JDog, even better that we managed to get under a few birds. 

When we had a look round earlier in the day a second Rape stubble had considerably more birds on but had virtually none joining them. The field we shot had around 30 birds but there was a lot of activity in the sky with birds moving to and from the field.

This was the third outing for my dog.  It was pleasing that she was steady and made a few nice retrieves. Im happy to admit that I’m not really a gundog trainer but we are getting there. 

Pigeons for pints is a great concept and was warmly welcomed after lugging a sack full of birds 250yards due to the road being closed outside the pub!

IMG_6641.jpeg

Nice bag again jdog I remember shooting a disced up rape stubble 2 days running years ago shot 58 in a few hrs first day then went back day after shot same field  same spot and made 136 it Can be  better than the actual stubble itself 

Edited by yickdaz