The Never Ending Disappearing Pubs .

marsh man

Looking in our local paper this morning it reported on two more local pubs that both had been trading for 150 years have had to pull down the shutters and call it a day , this go on nearly every day of the week and at this rate they will be keeping a pub open purely as a museum piece so people can see what a normal pub used to look like , although I no longer visit pubs I would be sorry to see them all fold up and at this rate I cannot see they have any option but to call it day .   MM

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, marsh man said:

Looking in our local paper this morning it reported on two more local pubs that both had been trading for 150 years have had to pull down the shutters and call it a day , this go on nearly every day of the week and at this rate they will be keeping a pub open purely as a museum piece so people can see what a normal pub used to look like , although I no longer visit pubs I would be sorry to see them all fold up and at this rate I cannot see they have any option but to call it day .   MM

Just priced out of existence due to useless politicos and so called civil servants?

Levelling up in their eyes really means a push to the bottom of the pile.

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes, very sad, been going on for a long time because the brewery's that own the pubs are GREEDY.

Oh and I hate to walk up to a pub and run the gauntlet of those inconsiderate few who smoke at the door.

1 minute ago, old man said:

Just priced out of existence due to useless politicos and so called civil servants?

Levelling up in their eyes really means a push to the bottom of the pile.

You would think that as they close down one pub then the next one nearest to the closed down one would have more trade but sadly it don't work out like that , the village I was brought up had five pubs inside the village and two more on the outskirts , now there is just one left and that only open on odd nights , this is not only going on around my way I would imagine this is going on all over the UK , maybe more noticeable around here now the holiday season is over and the locals in town are now being outnumbered with people from overseas who would sooner drink on the streets rather than in an ole fashion pub MM 

14 minutes ago, marsh man said:

You would think that as they close down one pub then the next one nearest to the closed down one would have more trade but sadly it don't work out like that , the village I was brought up had five pubs inside the village and two more on the outskirts , now there is just one left and that only open on odd nights , this is not only going on around my way I would imagine this is going on all over the UK , maybe more noticeable around here now the holiday season is over and the locals in town are now being outnumbered with people from overseas who would sooner drink on the streets rather than in an ole fashion pub MM 

Net Zero lunacy I imagine will tip many over the edge, we have some of the most expensive electricity costs in the world so Politicians can virtue signal.  Not just pubs all energy intensive industry will relocate or go bust.  Thousands of jobs now going under Labour.  North Sea Oil with the licence ban and Labour not challenging any court appeals from eco loons on existing licences. Steelworks, the Cumbrian mine and Grangemouth and for what?  Absolutely nothing, Tata are building a huge new blast furnace in India as our Govt bungs them £500 million to close ours and lose thousands of jobs.  It is total and utter insanity.

Edited by Weihrauch17

I was on holiday last month in Norfolk,staying at The Kings Head in Coltishall,both there and the Rising Sun next door were extremely busy but that’s not the case in winter no doubt. Meals were pricey and a local pint was £4.80. I think those two places will survive at least!

I live a mile from Jeremy Clarkson pub and am pleased that he has people taken over the old Windmill and brought it back to life as the Farmers Dog. I will not be going there as I have two local pubs that I frequent and I don't have to que to be served in and I can meet local people in. long live the local pub

govt taxes.....buisness rates.....greedy micro breweries.....anti smoking.....oh..and fake energy prices.....the govt blamed the Ukraine USSR war......but in reality within 4 mths of the mega price hike...the raw gas price was down to its original price.....but the energy companies didnt want you to know that....they fleeced us bloody rotten

all smacks of control by the state....

Edited by ditchman

Allot of the pubs in our town which was known as the brewery capital of the UK Burton On Trent are now either coffee shops or residential homes. Rate increases by the brewery increased pressure for the landlords to make a decent profit to the point it was no longer possible to earn a living, so decent landlords left which made way for wannabe Cocktail stars (Tom Cruise film from the late 80s) who really had no idea about running a pub or selling proper beer. Brewry's have a huge part to blame by putting the wrong people in, ive worked many years in the pub trade (both sides of the bar)  

I went for a pint local to me, Pedigree was cloudy, stunk of vinegar and what was worse when i asked the kid that served it if there was anything else all i got was a "No" !!! 

So another pub close to closing, the pubs are worth more to the brewery as property value that business value. 

You put a good licensee in the pub they will bring in the punters and make it pay. 

I think the massive loss of pubs has severely changed the social structure of the UK. They played a big part in the "growing up" of a lot of people, it was very nearly our ritual of entering adulthood. A great deal of social guidance came from the older folk in the pubs.

I also think the government are quite happy to let it happen, doesn't do them any good having groups of people sitting, chatting, grumbling. We've all taken to the internet on that score of course.

1 hour ago, TOPGUN749 said:

I was on holiday last month in Norfolk,staying at The Kings Head in Coltishall,both there and the Rising Sun next door were extremely busy but that’s not the case in winter no doubt. Meals were pricey and a local pint was £4.80. I think those two places will survive at least!

They are both in a very good location , more so in the holiday season and not far from Norwich , people like to go for a drink out in the countryside on a nice day while sitting beside the river , this is certainly not the case in the town , once the visitors have gone home then everywhere either close down , or open on a reduced scale .

My niece and her partner run a pub.

Open every session.

Might not be busy during the midweek day but ticks over and gets busy on the weekends.

Every Friday between 6-8 the give you a raffle ticket every time you buy a drink and there are 4 prizes starting with bottles of beer to the final prize of a bottle of spirits, bought out of their own pockets.

Regulars seem to appreciate it.

We also have 4/5 drinking places that unless you’re a local or with one you wouldn’t really want to go in.

Back in the day it was all CIU clubs, maybe 18-20 of them.

only had 4/5 pubs.

now we still have 7 pubs but only 1 CIU clubs, rest are bars of one sort or another.

Busiest place is a Wetherspoons 🤦🏻‍♂️

:shaun:

I live near a pub that has closed down and the sooner it is bulldozed the better it will be. I've lived through about four owners and all have operated without any thought or concern for the local hoses.  Loud noise. Stinking bbqs,  cars driving off flat out late at night,  late night lockins leading to groups of drunk people shouting and singing as they went home,  fights in the pub and outside.  I have removed bottles, glasses, junk, underwear and condoms from the garden.  There are some in the village that want to turn it into a community venue as a pub come post office / general store and place where the old can come and get a warm.  The current owner wants telephone numbers for it.   The sooner it is bulldozed and some houses built the better. Total pain in the rudder

1 hour ago, 39TDS said:

I think the massive loss of pubs has severely changed the social structure of the UK. They played a big part in the "growing up" of a lot of people, it was very nearly our ritual of entering adulthood. A great deal of social guidance came from the older folk in the pubs.

I also think the government are quite happy to let it happen, doesn't do them any good having groups of people sitting, chatting, grumbling. We've all taken to the internet on that score of course.

ha.........not far from the truth ..i rekon...........the first meetings of the English civil war were in a pub......then they moved to a house on the key in Great yarmouth....the house is still there and can be visited..

its also worth noting that the fate (death) of King Charles was decieded there,, and proclaimed in the market place.....of Great Yarmouth

the govt are very worried about the country folk of our fair country

Edited by ditchman

10 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Whilst we lament the demise of the local pub, others are outraged when Jeremy Clarkson opens up one.

YES, they are the NIMBY's who don't like CHANGE, SUCCESS or someone like Clarko pushing against the norm. 

Lot of truth in what he says, I gave up smoking in January and have gone from 13.5 stone to 15 stone and I have a physical job (groundwork and fencing landscaping). Lots of pubs spent a lot of money on smoking areas outside for customers what a waste of money that was now. Stupid law. Just another nail in the coffin for pubs.

We got a local pub but i think i've been in it once in 20 years if i go up the town we usually pop into weatherspoons for food and sometimes i will have a pint but other times i will work threw the coffee machine , Think most folk are careful now if you have a drink you dont drive the next day , Most folk that are working have 3/4of a  pint topped up with lemonade and where leaving that unfinished 

In Aviemore  the local pub bought a piece of land to stop Weatherspoon's buying it its still undeveloped 5 years later and is now a eyesore