A Turkey Hunt to Remember

new to the flock

Twas the night before opener and all through the house,

The sounds of a hen turkey, were issuing from my mouth.

Having just purchased a new diaphram call, and having trimmed it ...a little too much.....I was giving my Best hunting buddy Quinn a demonstration of the sounds I would be making to call a nice plump gobbler in for him next morning. Just as I was running a nice long kee kee call, Quinn started to retell the story of how he shot a gobbler with 6 inch spurs and a 27 inch beard. Now not saying Quinn exagerates a little but I remember the only bird him shooting last year was my decoy.

I stopped in mid run and was just about to remind him that he still owed me a decoy, but changed my mind and went to take a sip of cold beer. Next thing I know I was doing a perfect imitation of a tom turkey just after it has taken a load of number 4's to the head, and was flopping around on the floor trying to spit up the call which I had forgotton to take out before drinking.

As I finally managed to swallow the call down, and the blue started to fade from my head and neck....also just like a tom turkey that has just taken a load of 4's.......and to Quinns applause for such a good imitation, I came to the relization that I no longer had a diaphram for tommorrows hunt. Being a little disheartened I had a couple or 6 more beers to sooth my soul, and the back of my throat, and decided I would just have to use my old box call standby in the morning.

Well the next morning found us all set up on the chosen field, Quinn in position with a stern warning that it was a live bird we were after and not a decoy this year. I set up about 20 yards behind him.....figured I was safe there .....and started calling . I had just ran a series of clucks when it happened. All that beer from the night before was starting to build a lot of presure up down below. I wiggled around trying to settle things down, but as you all know when things boil, they must be released.

I snuck out back a little further, and found a nice big oak tree to protect my back while my pants were down, and just started to release some of that presure when it happened. For the first time in 5 years a gobbler started to call to our decoy. He was a ways off and looking for love, but my call was sitting back where I first set up. Then the next ammazing thing happened......alittle bit of that presure ummmmm shall we say broke loose.......and there it was the sound of a perfect kee kee call emiting from down deep within my soul.

The ummmm presure continued to escape in small bursts and each time a hen would speak the gobbler would call back and get closer. The next thing I knew there was the roar of a shotgun.....Now if I had been watching it may not have startled me quite so bad, but as it was that blast released the last of the presure, and my brand new diaphram call.

As I hitched my camos back in place, and looked around the tree there was Quinn standing over what was definately the nicest shot Decoy of the year.

Tails From Camp.....

NTTF