what dogs?

Whimple Hunter

hia.

i would like a dog that can catch rabbits and foxes,day and night.can take ferreting and will catch bolters.so really an all rounder.what shall a get?...

also im looking for a dog that will drive rabbits and game from under growth to be shot,retrieve shot animals and mark whilst out ferreting.what shall a get?

WH

Well Lad as I understand it catching fox's with a dog is now illegal, I am sure I will be set right if I am incorrect on that. As for the marking of warrens, catching bolters, brushing and retrieving I would pick a small lurcher. Myself I am parshal to the berdie x whippet, but that is just me. There are plenty of chaps with lurchers on here so have a search back through and I am sure you will come up with some good ideas.

NTTF

it aint legal anymore dude fox or hares so would try not to

mention it for those reasons . a good whippet type lurcher

would be good . the dog i have is 3 parts whippet i part greyhound

which makes her that bit more robust for going into brush and running on

rougher ground and dead racey i also use her as a gun dog and introduced

her to gun fire from when she had her jab at ten weeks old its not hard to

do just be patient and dont expect everything to come at once what i will

ask though have you had any experience with running dogs before if not

get some books ask advice but dont take it lightly i say this because

these creatures do have a hard life and often end up in rescues bacause

someones had one it hasnt lived up to there expectations and they have got

rid to someone else or some other unspeakable as happened but other than that if your genuinley

interested then theres folk on here who will give you lots of advice and would

be glad to do so hope you have fun searching for one mate :good:

paddy

Owt more than a 1/4X whippet , for chasing anything bigger than a rabbit IMO is not a good idea . For the bigger stuff i like a bigger doggy . The Bob stands at 26" tall , and when it used to be legal he could turn his teeth on most stuff . IMO if you want to chase the big stuff (even though you've been told it's illegal) you can't beat a big bull X . I don't like colley X's , too many brains for what i like to do .

I would find some dog men round you neck of the woods and see if they will take you out .

all the best yis yp :good:

The terraine on which you are hunting also determines what sort of dog you should opt for to.

If you are working / lamping large fields and open arable farmland then clearly you want more of a coursing dog, or one that is racier, with larger averages of greyin the cross

If you are working hedgerows, paddocks and small fields then you want something with more expolsive speed, a beddlington terrier / wippet would be perfect.

From the sounds of things to you want a multi tasking lurcher for bushing and nailing............... and the aforementioned cross would be ideal, for two reasons

The beddy side will give the dog enough backbone, to plough into rought undergrowth and bush our gear...its coat is also very think and wirey..

The wippet will give you the explosive speed.....I would suggest a 3/4 wippet - 1/4 beddy.............a hardy quick little dog.

I would steer away from any lurcher with collie in it if you are wanting to put a gun over it as they are very twitchy and neverous around gunshot...............also steer away from 'Handcock' bred lurchers to.......(but thats a debate for another day)

I prefer the bull cross and work several, but thats becasue the majority of work is on open land.

P.s I think coursing foxes in england is now illegal.......I'm not sure about N-Ireland...Perhaps Frank can confirm if he's about.

paddy i dont want to contradict you but i was told that introducing the dog to gun fire at such an early age damages the inner ear.. thought it was worth mentioning weather i am right or wrong for anyone else reading this?

well its all according to how your going about fbf mate.

if your obviously getting to close to the dog then i could

see this might be a problem in my experience ive seen

gun dogs 10 to 15 weeks old sniffing round us at clay

grounds who dont flinch . so i dont think its a contradiction

dude its actually a good point to raise as if folk are new to this

might think twice about shooting to close to the dogs and

ruining there ears :good:

paddy

in my honest opinion i dont think anyone could go wrong with a picardy lurcher i have seen a couple of these dogs working they are a little bit leggy 26-28 inches approx but they have got NOSE,coat, legs/feet that you would never believe Work on the retrieve may need a little bit more than normal than youre usual breed of lurcher. they make a good all round pot filling companion.I will be getting one of these dogs the next time i am after another lurcher.By the way this is not a biased opinion i can see where the other lads are coming from i saw baikal boys whippet cross last week bloody awesome a realy well built rocket if anyone wants any further info on picardy lurchers PM me (but no pups available at present) i will then forward all GENUINE enquiries to a breeder i know regards paul