Best Mate

Deako

Today is a sad day for me...half an hour ago I had to have my trusty old springer, Bal, put to sleep. :lol:

He would have been 15 years old tomorrow, but his eyes were gone, his hearing went 2 years ago, and his once strong legs could hold him no more, I had to carry him to the car for his final trip.

We hunted all over the country together, several years on the woodcock in Cornwall where he would destroy the tough brambles...rabbits in Scotland, and in his last few years flushing pheasants from the hard flint hillsides of North Wales...he always gave his all. :D ...without him our little pheasant drives would have produced next to nothing as the shoot only had 2 dogs when we started.

He is succeeded by his buddy 'Storm', a little black and white ESS who I've just finished training, and through him your memory will live on Bal.

R.I.P mate, you'll be sadly missed.

mate ,

i know are hard that must have been for both you and espicially your young son connor but all you can do is comfort each other in this time of great sadness,

remember the good time's you had hunting with him mate and i'm sure connor will follow with the good thought's of growing up with bal.

you both will never forget him,if both storm and meg make half the dog he was they will truly great.

all our thought's are with you all at this sad time

mark,marie&jamie

I was reading this topic with tears in my eyes as memories came back, last year I lost my best dog on cancer and it stil hurts. He has his grave in our shooting and sometimes i can sit there and think about the fine moments we shared. Hope you will feel better after a while.

:D

Deako:

Sorry for your loss Mate, it is always a hard one to swallow. I've burried 29 personal gundogs and sled dogs over the years and still miss every one of them. The good thing is that they all still come back to keep me company in the quiet moments. There is nothing that can be said to take the pain away, but someday soon in a quiet moment you will swear that there was a wet nose nuzzling that hand that hangs down and it will bring a smile to your face that only you will know.

Deako,

How sad, I lost a very good Springer Dog ( Wilf) a few years back at the young age of 6.

He was the best Dog of any breed, I have ever come across The son of a FTC and dual FTC bitch. Incredibly intelligent and relentlessly brave. I know people debate on these forums the better qualities of their dogs and all breeds have their strong points but the springer above all others is the maid of all work and if I had to take a dog to war that would be the one.

Quite honestly I was lost without him for 9 months. He gave me so much and yet asked for so little in return.. People could learn a great deal from dogs mate.

Console yourself in the fact that he had a wonderful life and was lucky to have you as an owner and companion.

All the best.

FM.

Sorry to hear of your loss !

Nothing I can add to all the heart felt thoughts, just wanted to let you know I have been there several times and its never easy. You will always remember him Deako, the times he was good (the best dog on the shoot) and the odd times when he was not so good. Every memory will raise a smile and a tear!

Anyway just to let you know my thoughts are with you!

Sorry to hear about your loss deako :D , but at least you can raise your glass to a fine dog who gave his all to his master. Like Y.P. said think of the memorable times you spent together and it will bring a smile to your face.

It was a very brave decision you made to put the old boy out of his misery and it was the right one because he couldn't indulge in what made him happy.

Chin up mate, all the best ollie

Thanks lads,

Its amazing how a few words on a computer screen can help to make things better.

I've never met most of you, and yet you take the time to sit and type your condolances. :D

Heartfelt thanks, you're a great bunch.