Why Would you Kill Things??

rhodes

OK, this topic is likely to generate a bit of interest, but bear with me.......... here goes...

I am an avid shooter, I shoot clays, at least 250 a week. Although I'm not great, I'm getting better!!

I am also a keen meat eater - love the stuff!! I know it's a dead animal, and am perfectly happy with the fact that it's been killed to sustain me.

My question is this......

Why do people shoot/kill the different quarries out there.

I understand killing things if you eat them, or for genuine pest contol reasons. (I guess if something is killed for both reasons then that's even better!!)

What I don't applaud is anybody killing something for fun. Are my views common throughout the members here, or am I going to get branded an 'anti'. I wonder..

I am also concerned with novices shooting live quarry. I class myself as an intemediate shooter (70 from 100 clays), and I regularly 'clip' clays. I'm sure we all do. I would certainly never target live quarry until I was a very experienced shooter.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Rhodes

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*cough* ANTI *cough*

only joking, do you mean the game shoots where the stuff is bred to be killed ?

I don't understand how they work well enough to form a decent opinion on them. That's part of the reason why I've started the thread, to learn a little more.

Nothing is killed for 'fun' or 'sport' so to speak. There is always a legitimate reason whether it be food or pest control.

If you are an avid clay shooter this forum is really only a 'spin off' for that shooting discipline. This site is firstly a pigeon shooting site with all the relevant live quarry shooting following close behind.

Shooting live quarry is easy- most people on here have been bought up with it and those that have'nt don't seem to have any problems either.

You should try it some time, I have always found taking live quarry more fulfilling than clays ever will and a damn sight cheaper!!!!!!!

I wouldn't say that, Game shooting is a mix of sport and food but I'd say it errs more onto the sport side. Game shooting is very different to clays and can be personally speaking far more challenging as it provides an endless array of shots and also ones that you cannot make.

Then you get a "by product" that happens to taste rather nice. Fundamentally though people enjoy shooting which comes down to killing things as lets face it why else would you give up time to go pest controlling if you didn't enjoy it unless you are a landowner etc and need to protect your incone or livestock

be careful boys, something aint right here - Why would you join a forum about pigeon shooting then go on about the evil of shooting live quarry.

Me thinks another anti has slipped through the net ;)

People LEARN by asking structured questions. Thanks for the informative replies everyone. Keep them comming.

It's as old as time. It's inbuilt in blokes, before we got all PC and feminized ;):lol: :yp:

I only shoot clays, but that's as much to do with the fact that I haven't got anywhere to shoot game or vermin.

I do fish though - in the sea. I keep my catch if it's decent, but I'd be a lying ******* if I said I did it for the pot. I do it for FUN :huh::lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry if we are suspicious, we've had a few anti's recently.

No problem, I thought I might get that kind of response. And besides, even though I'm not, as long as the discussion was well presented why would anybody be afraid of engaging an 'anti' into a decent discussion. Surely you then have the ability to make them understand. Pushing them away without even establishing whether they want a 'decent' debate or not simply strengthens their argument.

It's as old as time. It's inbuilt in blokes, before we got all PC and feminized ;):lol: :yp:

I only shoot clays, but that's as much to do with the fact that I haven't got anywhere to shoot game or vermin.

I do fish though - in the sea. I keep my catch if it's decent, but I'd be a lying ******* if I said I did it for the pot. I do it for FUN :huh::lol: :lol: :lol:

whole heartedly agree, but I won't kill it unless I plan to eat it!

Guest The Outlaw

I understand Rhodes point because Calamity Jane wont shoot anything she wouldnt eat.

She has said though that she would go with me one day shooting vermin as long as her pink stuff doesnt scare the quarry

away.

And I think if she did she would be compelled to have a shot or two.

She nor would I spend hundreds on a game day, but a local syndicate shoot that are a few guns down now again invite me

along for a beaters fee £20.

It doesnt mean that I think it is wrong to do this if blowing lots of money shooting game floats your boat.

Each to thier own as they say.

I take a brace home and if I want to I will cook them up, if not I would give them to a neighbor that wants them.

The problem is there is a fine line between being called an anti and not because you dont understand the way things are.

I know loads of people that I call townies that shoot clays but wouldnt dream of shooting game.

I wouldnt call them anti's just not interested in live quarry (and clays the way some of them shoot ;) )

As a family we gather in the market square and support the Waddon *** Bicester hunt because its a way of life out here.

I was against the hunting ban and so were Calam and the girls, not because we love seeing the foxes get killed, we know

this is part of our life and we except it.

And most of the time the foxes get away, the weak ones get caught so it keeps the fitter ones going

If you dont know about something never be affraid to ask because ignorance isnt bliss.

IMHO this is a good question raised by someone that wants to educate themselves in the way of country life.

Well done Rhodes for asking a brave question.

Sit back and learn and if there are any anti's out there reading all our comments they might learn a bit too.

Tony

It's as old as time. It's inbuilt in blokes, before we got all PC and feminized :lol: :yp: :huh:

I do fish though - in the sea. I keep my catch if it's decent, but I'd be a lying ******* if I said I did it for the pot. I do it for FUN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, I put 99% of what I catch back alive. I find most fish a bit uninspiring as a dish, but I keep Cod, Bass, Sole, Mackerel, Turbot (I wish :lol:) occasional Whiting, if they're big. I would keep Haddock if I could get anywhere near one ;)

No problem, I thought I might get that kind of response. And besides, even though I'm not, as long as the discussion was well presented why would anybody be afraid of engaging an 'anti' into a decent discussion. Surely you then have the ability to make them understand. Pushing them away without even establishing whether they want a 'decent' debate or not simply strengthens their argument.

the trouble with engaging in discussion with persons who have a solid opinion of what they believe is right is that they may twist things around to make it suit, and then broadcast it wherever they can. you wont change their minds. It would be like trying to show someone who enjoys shooting quarry that it is a pointless and damaging activity!

It's as old as time. It's inbuilt in blokes, before we got all PC and feminized :lol: :yp: :huh:

I do fish though - in the sea. I keep my catch if it's decent, but I'd be a lying ******* if I said I did it for the pot. I do it for FUN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, I put 99% of what I catch back alive. I find most fish a bit uninspiring as a dish, but I keep Cod, Bass, Sole, Mackerel, Turbot (I wish :lol:) occasional Whiting, if they're big. I would keep Haddock if I could get anywhere near one ;)

mmmm..... fresh whiting fishcakes!!!

the trouble with engaging in discussion with persons who have a solid opinion of what they believe is right is that they may twist things around to make it suit, and then broadcast it wherever they can. you wont change their minds. It would be like trying to show someone who enjoys shooting quarry that it is a pointless and damaging activity!

So the world should progress without discussion or debate then. In fact, just abolish democracy while you're at it!!

Rhodes

Firstly you need to accept that clay busting evolved from shooting live pigeons released from traps. When you examine much of the terminology used in clay shooting it is obvious where the terms originate.

Live quarry shooting is not to everyone's taste, and you do need to be quite competent at clays before attempting any form of live quarry shooting.

Wood Pigeon are shot under a general license to afford crop protection and pest control. A byproduct of the pest control is some of the most testing shooting available, and some of the most tasty morsels available on the planet.

Rough walked up shooting, is usually a pot filling activity, providing some good shooting and plenty exercises for man and dog.

I am a member of a small syndicate, we put 600 pheasants down. The beaters and guns share the bag at the end of the day, not even the odd squirrel is wasted.

The more formal bought pheasant, partridge. etc. days, are more organised, where larger numbers of birds are usually shot. Guns, beaters, and pickers up usually take a brace or two. The remaining birds are sold to game dealers who process the birds which then go into the food chain.

Wildfowl are generally shot and consumed by the guns and their friends, a few birds may pass into the local food chain.

I shoot clays to improve and hone my skills. I shoot live quarry because I enjoy eating free range / wild unadulterated food.

Somewhere in your genes are some that make you hunt for food, just a thought.

webber

OK, this topic is likely to generate a bit of interest, but bear with me.......... here goes...

I am an avid shooter, I shoot clays, at least 250 a week. Although I'm not great, I'm getting better!!

I am also a keen meat eater - love the stuff!! I know it's a dead animal, and am perfectly happy with the fact that it's been killed to sustain me.

My question is this......

Why do people shoot/kill the different quarries out there.

I understand killing things if you eat them, or for genuine pest contol reasons. (I guess if something is killed for both reasons then that's even better!!)

What I don't applaud is anybody killing something for fun. Are my views common throughout the members here, or am I going to get branded an 'anti'. I wonder..

I am also concerned with novices shooting live quarry. I class myself as an intemediate shooter (70 from 100 clays), and I regularly 'clip' clays. I'm sure we all do. I would certainly never target live quarry until I was a very experienced shooter.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Rhodes

I am surprized by your question, but admire your honesty. I suspect some of the replies you'll receive may be a bit on the flaming side, but I will try to be a little more even handed.

Death, is part of life. Without it, life makes no sense. And although a lot of people are happy to live in double-glazed, centrally heated, Saturday trip to the super-market denial, whether you like it or not, you are an A one preditor, top of the food chain.

If you choose to remove yourself from a hands-on role in feeding yourself and your family, that's fine. But, please don't be critical of those you don't wish to do so. If you enjoy eating, or wearing what others are prepared to farm/hunt and then kill for you to buy, in a nice clean shop, while failing to consider or understand somebody else's enjoyment in taking part in the cycle of life and death, this is at the very least, uncharitable and verging on hypicritical.

If you are refering to somebody taking delight in pulling the legs off of insects and killing small animals for fun, with their Grandad's old air-rifle that they found in the attic, just because they can. Then you won't find many members on here disagreeing with you.

Regards....

ok i must admit i do enjoy shooting, but none of it is done for "fun" - it is mainly done for vermin/pest control and i shoot game mainly for the pot - Although i do sometimes go on commercial shoots and as others have said anything thats not taken home by the guns and beaters is ent or collected by a game dealer, who then puts it into the foood chain.

ok i must admit i do enjoy shooting, but none of it is done for "fun" - it is mainly done for vermin/pest control and i shoot game mainly for the pot - Although i do sometimes go on commercial shoots and as others have said anything thats not taken home by the guns and beaters is ent or collected by a game dealer, who then puts it into the foood chain.

All good feedback. I want to shoot live quarry, but would have to 'justify' it to myself first.