Why Would you Kill Things??

rhodes

Have you seen silence of the lambs?

I am making a giant "pigeon suit" to complete my transformation into...... a pigeon.

The problem is that I am a chunky monkey and I need a couple of thousand more pigeons to finish up.

:rolleyes::lol::angry: ..... Good luck inserting the tail feathers.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen silence of the lambs?

I am making a giant "pigeon suit" to complete my transformation into...... a pigeon.

The problem is that I am a chunky monkey and I need a couple of thousand more pigeons to finish up.

:good::lol::lol: ..... Good luck inserting the tail feathers.

He will enjoy it. :yp:

Yeah you would like to think that wouldn't you, you dirty boy.

I shoot things which I'm not going to eat, I'm currently trying to get a squirrel which is eating the bird food. What I'm not particularly happy with is the shooting of woodcock, there aren’t too many around especially round here. In fact I haven’t seen any for years, they dont harm anything, they are not a pest. Pheasants, duck, pigeons, rabbits, rooks, crows, magpies etc are fine to shoot, they are either bread to be shot or are pests.

Shooting is a sport for me, and I enjoy it. Every time I kill something I do get a small feeling of sadness that I've taken a life, yet I'm still driven to take a shot at the next creature that shows its face. I really can't explain it. I like to eat what I shoot, and prefer that to eating farmed meat. At least a wild animal has had a good and happy life before being killed to feed me. There are a huge number of people that like to seperate themselves from the killing side of things and complain about our sport, yet you see a large number of them tucking into a steak without a single thought being given to the life that was lost for their meal. Somehow for them, farm animals don't count?

I fully see your point about wanting to be a good shot before shooting live quarry. If I wound something (which happens to the best of us) it really hits me, I don't like it at all.

I think the question is the other way around - why would anyone want to eat meat that they hadn't killed themselves? It's not always possible, but it's surely the ideal - you then know that the contents of your dinner plate had either a free life or a good life on a farm, and died swiftly and without unnecessary stress. Even a wounded pigeon that has to wait a minute or so to get its neck wrung has a better end than even a free range chicken, trucked to slaughter in a wagon, then taken and processed in an industrial slaughterhouse.

An Interesting topic, I am totaly against people learning to shoot on birds or animals. I alwys say you should be able to get every shot with an air rifle in a 10p at 40m hit 50% of everything you aim at on clays and every shot in a 4 inch circle before you go out wit a CF rifle after deer or fox. If you cant meet this basic criteria it is mor practice before you can be let loose on live animals.

Hunting and killing is the most baisic natural human instinct.

Dave

An Interesting topic, I am totaly against people learning to shoot on birds or animals. I alwys say you should be able to get every shot with an air rifle in a 10p at 40m hit 50% of everything you aim at on clays and every shot in a 4 inch circle before you go out wit a CF rifle after deer or fox. If you cant meet this basic criteria it is mor practice before you can be let loose on live animals.

Hunting and killing is the most baisic natural human instinct.

Dave

Makes sense to me :angry:

GAH!

A four inch circle may be fine on deer but IMO at the absolute worst for fox you want to be getting less than 1.5inch groups at 100 yards and with that limit your range, ideally less than an inch from a hunting rifle, then you can move out. Not being argumentative but there is a small difference in size :lol:

As for how to become OK with shooting live animals. Well, if it's foxes go to a sheep farmer who's been hit hard at lambing time. See the bodies, and more importantly see the injured lambs that've been left alive, with infected bite marks. Head off to someone who keeps fowl, where the fox has gotten in amongst them. If you see those things, and speak to genuine people who do put in a lot of care into their own animals then you'll get it.