Why Would you Kill Things??

rhodes

ok i must admit i do enjoy shooting, but none of it is done for "fun" - it is mainly done for vermin/pest control and i shoot game mainly for the pot - Although i do sometimes go on commercial shoots and as others have said anything thats not taken home by the guns and beaters is ent or collected by a game dealer, who then puts it into the foood chain.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with acknowledging that it is done for "fun" or, in other words, for the enjoyment of it. Again, I can only use fishing as an example. I might drive to Yorkshire or Anglesey from my home in Manchester for a nights fishing on the beach. Already I've got a petrol bill of up to £40-£50 ;)

These days, If I manage a Bass or a couple of Cod, I'm pleased - cost in a fish shop £10 - £15. To say I did it for the pot or to feed my family is utter cobblers. It's a financial disaster area. :lol: That might be behind the biological drive that makes me want to do it, but as far as I'm concerned, it's a hobby, which means it's done for fun.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have shot live quarry since long before i started shooting clays, and am finding the clays harder. Live shooting i find is a lot different to clays and gives a different sense of satisfaction. From my own experience most everything that is shot is eaten either by the shooter, their family or friends or in the case of large shoots the excess birds are already earmarked for a local butcher or restaurant. Maybee there are people out there who waste what they shoot but i expext they are in the minority.

The only exception i can think of is as has already been posted, some of the pest species that have to be controlled and are simply not that good to eat! Although i must say i do enjoy eating all the grey's i can get for the pot!! :lol:;)

So you would not shoot what you would not eat then.

I am off rat shooting tonite and I have no intentions of eating what I knock over.

So you would'nt shoot rats then?

Sorry, I over emphasised that point. I would also shoot for pest control, athough ideally for both at the same time!!

I have shot live quarry since long before i started shooting clays, and am finding the clays harder. Live shooting i find is a lot different to clays and gives a different sense of satisfaction. From my own experience most everything that is shot is eaten either by the shooter, their family or friends or in the case of large shoots the excess birds are already earmarked for a local butcher or restaurant. Maybee there are people out there who waste what they shoot but i expext they are in the minority.

The only exception i can think of is as has already been posted, some of the pest species that have to be controlled and are simply not that good to eat! Although i must say i do enjoy eating all the grey's i can get for the pot!! :lol:;)

I have shot greys before. My house was surrounded by woodland and they used to get into the loft and make a right mess!! Pest control said I should thin the population, so I did. As I sais, I don't mind doing so if I can justify it. And, if I'm honest I enjoyed having a legitimate reason to spend all night in the shed!!

I didn't eat them thugh, didn't know you could. The dogs loved them though!!

Guest The Outlaw
Check other posts on the site, They actually taste quite nice. There was a good program on tele/sky a while back about trying to get more restaurants to cook them, If more people would try them then there would be less waste! Glad to hear the dogs enjoyed them though!

;)

I just never get enough to make them worth eating. 3 or 4 would do a meal for me.

Because they eat berries and nuts the meat is high in protein apparently.

Comes out ready wrapped when you have eaten them as well because of all the cable insulation they eat. :lol:

Tony

sorry everyone but got to go out for dinner with my mum!! I know, such a mummy's boy!!

we're off for a Chinese, maybe they'll have live lobster and I can pick one - does that count!?!?!

i used to sell dead foxes to a Chinese restaurant, and i am not kidding.

They must taste good in batter then!

sorry everyone but got to go out for dinner with my mum!! I know, such a mummy's boy!!

we're off for a Chinese, maybe they'll have live lobster and I can pick one - does that count!?!?!

i used to sell dead foxes to a Chinese restaurant, and i am not kidding.

;)

...but clays don't fly or roll like quarry. Clays are harder to hit IMO.

Yes, I usually switch off when game shooters start on about how easy clays are compared to live quarry.

There's usually a fair few game shooters keeping their eye in on the clays at Worsley, and they don't hit many :yp: :huh::lol:

In fairness, If I shot at game, I'd probably miss a fair few ;) It's just what you're used to

My sister-in-law used to go out with a Turkish bloke :lol: who did a lot of game shooting in Turkey and kept blowing his own trumpet about how good he was. He came over once and I took him to Worsley. When I showed him the first target, he thought I was joking :lol: He told me he didn't consider that the targets were hittable :lol:

I am an avid shooter, I shoot clays, at least 250 a week. Although I'm not great, I'm getting better!!

My question is this......

Why do people shoot/kill the different quarries out there. What I don't applaud is anybody killing something for fun. Your comments would be appreciated.

Rhodes

We dont kill for fun, what gave you the impression we do, ;)

I haven't read all the replies. I like my shooting, I enjoy it. I don't kill anything for the laugh of it. I shoot certain animals and bords as they have no natural predators here and cause a lot of problems to various people including myself. That said, I do enjoy making a good shot. But, I don't shoot anything that doesn't need to be shot, or if it's game then if I shot any I'd eat it.

As a novice I dont take shots where I am not sure of a clean kill.Can count on less than a hand stuff I have had to finish off,and those really quickly.I dont feel strongly enough about the justification aspects to give much of a reply.Its a personal thing for each of us and I know my own mind pretty well by now to be happy with that.I do feel very satisfied at shooting grey squirrel though as I would a mink.I favour our own species over alien ones.I love shooting but some of my best days have me going home with a full cartridge belt too.

We have had quite a few threads like this over the years and few have been from "Antis".

In fact, despite the paraniod ramblings of some members, we get very few "Antis" on this site.

I will admit to enjoying my shooting (and fishing), whether it is vermin, or game shooting.

If that is the same as having "fun", then I confess to having "fun".

I never load the gear in the truck and think, " I wish I didn't have to do this ", I always set out with great joy and expectation.

I do not have to justify the fact that I enjoy what I do, to anyone.

Some things I have no desire to shoot and so I don't, but I defend the right of other sportsmen to shoot that quarry.

some good and wierd reasons coming up here,me personally enjoy shooting .i travel miles just to do some shooting,mostly foxes,rabbits, crows,pigeons and squirrels.the foxes i enjoy shooting,they dont really cause me any problems,cos it aint my farm,crows i enjoy shooting,pigeons i will eat some and give some away to neighbours,squizzers get fed to ferret,rabbits are all fed to dogs or ferret ,few go to men in work.but bottom line ,i shoot cos i can .it aint a job to me its my hobby and whilst its legal ill continue to shoot what ever is legal to shoot ,before some plonker bans it. ;)

As a lifelong fisherman,while on the subject,I second the fact that it is very much a bloodsport in all it,s forms. the fishing community thinks it will escape the anti,s by denying it.They should have the sense to realise that the crowd who put bricks thru the butchers windows and attack scientists wont stop at hunting.I would defend any legitimate form of hunting.United we stand and all that.

I never load the gear in the truck and think, " I wish I didn't have to do this ", I always set out with great joy and expectation.

Im with Cranfield on that one.

The first time i had to neck a wounded rabbit i was filled with remorse . This made me questioned my ability and reasons for doing something that others consider to be cruel and barbaric .

This must be a question that we have all thought about at some time .

The bunny was then taken home for the pot. This then to me was justified.

If you want to eat meat someone has to kill it . If it eases your concience to let someone else do it then so be it thats your choice.

I enjoy my chosen hobby to the full and I get out as often as is possible.

All my quarry is for the table with the exeption of crows which as far as im concerned is a minging disease ridden pest (thats my excuse) ;)