CARTRIDGES FOR WOODIES

Hi fellow pigeon shooters,

Can anyone give me some advice on which is a good quality cartridge for pigeon shooting?

I am using a load of **** at the moment and I don’t have any confidence in them so if anyone has used a good proven cartridge for some time then please let me know what they are, and how much I should pay for a thousand.

Cheers lads,

Happy woodie shooting

PM

Hi justin!

This subject has been discussed extensively in the past.The cartidge that suits me won't necessarily suit you as well(and vice versa).I have been very lucky recently to have bought a few thousand of Rotweil cartidges very cheaply(32 gr,high velocity £90 for a thousand) from bywell shooting centre in Northumberland.I have been very impressed with them(especially at that price!).Try them if you can get your hands on them.

Savvas

Pm

I have found express very good in the past they make good cartridges, I have 2 say that there BB load cartridges are very good, but also a good way 2 get cheap cartridges is 2 use cartridges which your local gunsmith loads, I hav found these 2 be cheap and good as well.

crowstopper :lol::lol:

I agree with CS

Express special game 6's seem to be best for me, they are a little more ££££, but it soon pays off when you drop more with the first barrel. I usually pay around £109 for a 1000.

I know some people that only ever shoot 7.5 trap loads at everything. The theory being you reduce the variation between each cart. as you get used to using only one.

Cheers

FAS

I use Hull Cartridge Special Pigeon No. 6 in the 12g for everything (Pigeon, Clays, Rough shooting)

and same in No. 7 game & clay for the 16 & 20g

I dont get many winged birds but I think thats as much down to your level of shooting experience ( I agree with Jonnyni on this) rather than the cartridge and load size.

Buy the best you can afford, get used to it, and stick with it.

FM.

Eley VIP 28g/30g no6 and no7 works fine for me, I tell you what though.... was in Iceland shooting puffins and razorbill in may and they insisted on using 42g no3 :lol: I stopped halfway through the second day and just couldn't raise my gun any more.... convinced a 30g 6 shot load would have worked just as well... I shoot mallard in range with them and they crumple just fine!

Hello M Robson & Bacchus I would be very interested to see you shoot Ducks & Mallard with 30/32 gram No 6,s.Would next week be okay? I know it is out of season, but heck why worry with legal things? in for a penny in for a pound.

See you on visiting days, your old mate P.C. Plod.

Mark,

I am very happy to hear that you are law abiding,I hope everyone else takes note of mine & your comments.Because hate it as I do we have to be responsible in the use of non-lead loads, and every other contentious issue which blights our sport.

Kind regards Salopian

Pigeon Master.

This season i bought a load of Kent Velocity 32g plas 6 shot made by Gamebore. They cost about £99.00 per thousand now, and they are very good for the money. If you want a cracker try RC SIPE 32g 5 shot plas wad around £131.00 per thou these really are good for the high *******.

Red wrote

Some people rightly belive that the plastic keeps a better pattern.

Not necessarily so M'Lud. Actually patterning cartridges in a meaningful way is mind bogglingly boring, but it does beat "belief".

It's what shows up on the plate wot counts. Some plastic loads are good, some are not. Some fibre loads are good some are not.

Ferinstance, I've compared a Rottweil plastic to a RIO fibre; the Kraut Kartridge Kame a Krap seKond.

And annuver fing, you'ld be amazed at the variation in sizes of shot claimed on the box, and what's actually in the squib. In some brands the size variation in the same cartridge is pretty wide too.

To test that sort of stuff you need a micrometer, the ability to use it, reference tables, and some understanding of Gaussian distribution curves. Knowing about XL helps too, but this is not what you guys taking exams need right now!

Regards

Eug

Eug

I know what your on about, but Im not taking exams, and definateley dont need it right now, or ever.

Im sure that youve done what most of us have done. Found a cartridge that does the job and suits you and your pocket. Its simple, the right size of lead in the right place will do the job. Misses are rarely the fault of the cartridge.

webber

To quote the late Chris Craddock "What,s hit is history, what,s missed is a mystery." Another thing you could do is pattern your selected cartridge on a board or old fertilizer bag (remember you need the average of at least 10) and then check the penetration on an old telephone directory and if both are to your requirements stick with them, the rest will be down to your skill.Nothing beats experience.