CARTRIDGES FOR WOODIES

If I can add my threepenneth, I like Gamebore Blue Diamonds Fibre wad 28grm 6s & 7s anything over 35yards I use 6s, Hull Soveriegn Fibres are superb, Eley VIP are also excellent, but to be frank I don,t think there is a bad cartridge, unless of course you guys (and gals) Know better? Whilst on the subject of poor products, Has anyone got a Browning Cynergy? £1600? They are having a laugh? (Aren,t they?) Not my cup of tea.

As a former international clay pigeon shooter and 25 years of rough and game shooting i can certainly say there are plenty of **** cartridges to buy, if you experienced enough to tell the difference between them, fast or slow, good patterns or bad, hitting power, hardness of lead, Velocity observed. I agree a lot of these things can only be checked in ballistic testing. But i can tell good from bad in my guns withing a few shots. And for the above plastic wads do keep better paterns and more consistant pressure's. But your right about if you miss you miss.

unfortunatley we do come up against having to shoot felt or fibre wads, but also there are such things as pdp wads that degrade but they take a little longer to do so. and if you have grazing on the land you shoot over well felt or fibre **** is all you can use.

euqene molly. I am no ballistic expert but there is plenty of them to back up my therey. felt or fibre wads do give excellent paterns at mid range distance but the wad is not able to provide consistant pressures from the cartridge that is where they fall back and they also recoil slightly more than plastic because there is no compression on the wad like you get from a plastic one. as you fire, the wad squashes reducing the recoil as with felt or fibre when fired they just propell straight out up the barrel. At longer distances plastic get the vote as the wad cups the shot out of the barrel and holds it together longer before it disperses. There is a lot to take in about ballistics of shotgun cartridges and rifle ammo. Fast carts blow out patterns at long distance genrally. To slow and they dont have the hitting power or stopping power. Muzzle velocity feet per second ( FPS ) is not a lot of use to the shooter as it only tells you the speed the shot leaves the barrel. What you want to know is an observed velocety over a certain distance say ( 30 yards ) etc. Also how much antimony is in the lead this hardens it. Good for clays but you dont want to much for quarry as you want the shot to deform after penatration into the quarry. Then comes weight of load, Powders ( propellants ), cases, primers , caps, crimp, roll over, gases back pressure ,smoke, corrosion ,shot size what sort of plas wad there are different ones for diferent jobs and lots of different felt wads to. Consistancy of shot , no bad ones causing flyiers and pattern scatter. it goes on and on. Barrel boreing sizes, choke. barrel length, One gun patterns well with Gamebore the other gun throws better patterns with Hull or RC etc ( Get out ya Pattern plate ) Run out of space on the doofer signing off , cheers ears.

Ears,

We could go on forever with this one!

Suffice to say the only professional ballistician I know (ie he earns his living at it and is widely published) is also a keen shotgun user, reloader and cartridge tester. He says that plaswads do not of themselves always improve patterns; there are wide variations in design, material, quality and effectiveness.

That was my finding at the pattern plate, not mid range incidentally, but the standard forty yards.

Your point about soft pellets being preferred because of their propensity to deform (and by implication improve killing power) is mistaken. The Sb content does indeed harden the pellet, and so on its travel up the barrel and through the choke it will defom less and give a better aerodynamic performance, which in turn gives an improved pattern. All well and good, no arguments.

But what kills small game is damage to vital organs, not "shock" as some people think. There is the idea around that a deformed pellet has given up its energy and so "shocked" the target. That's not possible; a shotgun pellet is incapable of initiating hydrostatic shock it's travelling too slowly.

Good fun what!

Regards

Eug

Equene molly. Then you could look into the professional and top level international clay shooters across the world and wonder why 99% of em shoot plastic wads. May be its because felt are not as good. Felt and fibre wad are not consistant in pressure. This is what lets them down. You might shoot 99 regular rounds but 1 may let you down and matie boy will take the quad bike home and not you. And the Antimony in the lead does play a part in it leaving the barrel but also at the target to. If this guy makes a living at it i just goes to show doesnt it even experts get it wrong.

As for hydrostatic shock this only means your shifting liquid water blood etc, to refer to a fast projectile ( say a rifle ) hitting power on the quarry it is Kenetic energy your looking at not hydrostatic.

You dont even need to be a ballistic expert to know that, So you should tell ya man to go back to the drawing board.

Good topic though isnt it.