Stop command and stop whistle training

darren m

i,m going back to basics ( again ) on the stop whistle training , whats the best and quickest way to reinforce this command .

i have tried it before , but have not had 100% success , just this last week the masses of rabbits and the urge to chase is just getting the better of Jack ( my lab ) so need some help and advice please .

thanks .

Darren . :lol:

Darren

Not knowing the age of your dog or what training you have done with him its a bit difficult. However for the time being I would walk him at heel whenever you go out and don't let him hunt. Every time you stop say sit and at the same time use your whistle(I use a single blast). Make sure he does it smartly and reinforce the command.Do it on a frequent basis every 25 yards or so.Its a bit like square bashing but eventually you should be able to make your dog sit wherever he is within earshot. On other occasions when you use the sit command you must also use the whistle. At the same time you can used a raised hand so that eventually you have 3 commands to make your dog sit; a verbal one, the whistle and a visual one. It's worked with my 2 labs, I can stop my 2 year old out at 200 yards whatever he is doing.

Regards and good luck

Hi Darren,

I have inlisted the help of a trainer (friend) who had me out last night with my bitch, the help was needed and worked, he got me to train my dog to walk to heel after walking 200yrds and she walked to heel for 2 miles after that. I had been trying for 8 months on my own.

If you can get help take it as a trainer can tell you and more so show you what you are doing wrong. Most importantly with less stress on your dog. After one night I now understand what 'Positive Reinforcement' means a lot better.

P.S. Im going back to basics again myself but with a more confident attitude.

Thanks for the reply's lads .

Palombier -- he's 12 months old , and as been doing really well just lately ( thanks to advice from this forum ) , but just the last few times i've taken him out , he's been a real **** for chasing the rabbits , do you use the same whistle for stop as well as recall :D or do different tones help .

Jonnyni -- how did you get her to heal , with-in 200yds , what was his training method , and do you find 2 whistle tones help or should i stick with one.

keep it coming lads .

cheers

Darren . :blink:

Darren I don't think it was a miracle cure, as I said earlier I had been trying to get her to heel for 8 months with her accepting it for about a minute then she would wander and start pulling the lead again (so she knew the command already). The thing is I let her pull on the lead and I thought it was ok that she had heeled for a minute WRONG.

The trainer said that I had to let her know that this was not acceptable. He showed me how to pull the lead back low down with a quick and saying heel(I stress not a harsh pull but enough that she knew there was something wrong) every single time she went to go in front and. After approx 200yrds she got the drift. During the next 2 miles she got corrected no more than 6-7 times and she didn't actually get to pull on the lead once.

Went out tonight and she had forgot what to do but 2 pulls on the lead and she remembered, not a step wrong for the same two miles.

I am not triping up over her anymore, she is not choking herself and we can turn corners without getting tangled up on the lead. She is also sitting the second I blow the whistle which is a step towards your original post on the stop whistle.

Remember I am a complete amature and am only relaying what worked for me. Reinforcement, consistancy and praise worked for me.

Good luck.

Darren

I use short bleeps for the return whistle and I vary the 'tune' so to speak. Sometimes at distance the 2(sit and return) can sound similar and can confuse the issue. When you take him out take walk him to heel on the lead.Don't be tempted to let him off. Do one or 2 retrieves and leave it at that. Any inclination to chase has to be dealt with firmly pull him back to heel and say NO! When he is steady dispense with the lead. By doing this the only time he gets to run off the lead is when he is retrieving. I.e. he is doing what you want him to do not what he wants to do. Let me know how you get on.

Regards

P

• 1 month later...

Hi There

When using your stop whistle at distance try to use it when the dog is close to something you can use as a gauge i.e say a paper or a stone. Try to stop the dog at this mark using the whistle (I use a long blast) and if neccessary a hand. The reason for using the mark is if the dog disobeys the command you can take him/her back to the initial place of giving the command and repremmand them there, as the trainning progresses the dog will know the reason and relate it to where the whistle command was given..........

Practise is the key and don't over do it as the dog will become bored stiff, I always say that 10 mins every day is better than an hour and a half a week.!