feed five-round box

effective range 3,600ft-plus

made by accuracy int

scmidt & bender scopes magnifies targets 25 times

adjutable bi-pod

adjustable cheek piece

folding stock :blush:

post-9018-1197206167.jpg

There's an article in the Sunday Mail magazine on this, and the new army sniping school.

All about the new sniping teams being trained - the sniper and his spotter - very interesting.

One incident in Iraq 4 years ago involved Royal Marine Corporal Matt Hughes and his spotter - wait for it......

In the midst of a fierce gale he shot an Iraqi in the chest at a range of 900 yards. Not bad, you may say, but to do this he aimed off 56ft to the left and 35ft above his target :blush: :look:

Don

A very interesting article, makes a change from the Mail :look:

The stats given for the successful 900yds kill :lol: are impressive, windage and elevation we all understand but whats Drag Coefficient?

In the article it says that each Infantry batt will have 16 trained snipers, thats 576, obviously someone has had a rethink on tactics and as the article points out we are reverting to1914-18 sniper warfare.

:blush: D2D

is that the metric reading for the new 408 stag that the american's came out with?

i love the acuracey international i got to fire one in 7.62mm when i was on a exercise with the British Army, Canada has a real cool new rifle the tmber wolf, a little FYI a member of my regiment the Princess Patricias Canadian Light Infantry holds the world record at present for the ongest recorded kill in Afghanastan Cheers and thanks for posting the pic

is that the metric reading for the new 408 stag that the american's came out with?

i love the acuracey international i got to fire one in 7.62mm when i was on a exercise with the British Army, Canada has a real cool new rifle the tmber wolf, a little FYI a member of my regiment the Princess Patricias Canadian Light Infantry holds the world record at present for the ongest recorded kill in Afghanastan Cheers and thanks for posting the pic

Ive fired the l96a1 a few times the first time at Barry Budden camp on the east coast. Very nice and very accurate even though it wasnt personally zero'd for me. Even better was firing gpmg in the light role 200 rounds one in four tracer out to eight hundred metres.

Drag coefficient is, in effect, the efficiency of the shape of the bullet.

A basic 22 rimfire will be about .1, whereas better designed, and more streamlined bullets, will be a lot higher.

:good:

The amount of resistance the bullet encounters as it passes through the air due to it's shape, smoothness of it's surface etc etc.

If you imagine a motorway - a flat fronted lorry works very hard to get through the air (ignoring it's weight!), wheras a F1 car slips through the air very easily - one has a high drag coefficient, the other a very low drag coefficient.

In the midst of a fierce gale he shot an Iraqi in the chest at a range of 900 yards. Not bad, you may say, but to do this he aimed off 56ft to the left and 35ft above his target

Iinteresting comment about holding off, I have shot at a 1000 yard target with a mates 7.62 and we had to hold off as we ran out of scope windage, but the rest was dialled in.

Can any proper long range shooters (not the internet variety thanks :good: ) comment on whether they would hold off, or dial that holdover/windage in? IIRC that rifle has a 34mm diameter S&B so dialing in would be an option.

dusk2dawn,

Drag coefficient is, in effect, the efficiency of the shape of the bullet.

A basic 22 rimfire will be about .1, whereas better designed, and more streamlined bullets, will be a lot higher.

It is used in the calcualtion of trajectories etc etc.

I hope this helps.

<_<

Thanks for your replies on Drag Coefficient, do you think it will form part of the FAO,s conversation at renewal time? :big_boss:<_<

:good: D2D

Can any proper long range shooters (not the internet variety thanks :good: ) comment on whether they would hold off, or dial that holdover/windage in? IIRC that rifle has a 34mm diameter S&B so dialing in would be an option.

Not that I am a pro long range shot etc :big_boss:, but from those promo vids online about yanks teaching people to shoot 1000yrds+ they only dial in and have no holdover. <_<

A great topic here.

I am actually already planning my next rifle, it will most likely be the AI (calibres still in consideration) do to its stron built, and high reputation.

If anyone has one I would like to talk about it with you.

Will be fitted with a leupy scope worth almost as much as the rifle :huh:

IMO Holding over is perfectly suitable for ranges up to 250-300m tops. (centerfires of course). Nick has been teaching me to shoot to this range, sometime im sure we will pass it, but the hold over for my rifle from 100-300m is roughly a foot. This is an easy adjustment. However at 400-500m this calculation more then doubles, and an accurate ballistics chart is required to calculate the exact level of elevation adjustment required. With paractice you will know the number of turns and 'clicks' to do off by heart. But its impossible to accuratley hit your target at lengthy ranges by simply geussing how high to aim above it. On high magnification at long ranges, it may be impossible to locate your target in the sight due to the amount of holdover.

My rimfire and center fire scopes are both fitted with exposed turrets, sometimes called 'sniper turrets'. Easy to twist by hand, with clear markings.

IMO Windage is not usually required to be dialled in. Wind is always changing, you cannont judge it like you can with gravity (gravitational pull is static duh) so if you set windage one minute, the next minute when you are ready for that shot, its changed.

Get a mill dot scope, or a scope with only horizontal mill dots for this, and practice aiming nearside/offside of the target to compensate for windage.

Gun sounds interesting Hunter, tell us more when it is coming to fruition

What scope are you planning on?, I didn't know Leupolds got that dear, or AI's go that cheap

I don't have an AI, but if it helps we spent 5 days on a shooting trip with the father inlaw of the US importer - the guy in the AI vids - who said we can go down to Texas anytime we like and shoot his guns :huh:

I have only dabbled in long range stuff a couple of times (and before the owner of the rifle reads this and points it out, yes he hit the target and I didn't, but we have sinced established I can't anything with any of his guns as they set up for his cackhanded'ness :lol: )

So we could still do with hearing from someone who has done a fair bit of this, not read the book watched the vid etc etc . . .

Ok I am no long range shooter, but logic dictates that holding off at that kind of magnitude would be very hit and miss - if you'll pardon the pun.

You could do it if you had the backdrop, say you needed 10ft and you knew the length of the truck he was leaning against presumably you could work it out.

If you needed 56ft FDC, unless you had a frame of reference, it would be very very difficult.

You could calculate it with your scope if you had mildot or other known-scale reticules, but if you had that you'd just dial in, no? If you needed more than you could dial in, I assume you'd just dial what you had and then estimate the rest.

I thought the numbers sounded familiar...

From 'Out of Nowhere' by Martin Peglar:

"Both men hit their respective targets, having had to allow for some 56 feet drop and 38 feet drift in their calculations"

So it was probably achieved using one shooting, one spotting setup, dialing in and guessing the last bit if required?

The Princess Pat shot is also in there:

"Shooting at a machine-gunner, the corporal from Newfoundland first made a chest shot with his McMillan at 1,841 yards then followed it up by killing an enemy rifleman at the extraordinary range of 2,700 yards"

It's mindblowing stuff.

And to think I was chuffed with a 170 yard chest shot on a calf last month in a 30mph cross wind :huh:

Its staggering stuff but its what the guys do for a living and they also aren't too bothered about killing or injuring the target. Obviously a kill is preferable but any hit generally stops them shooting back. For the shots made I also guess there will have been an awful lot of misses

Is the ammo specially made, Out of interest do army snipers have the opportunity to roll their own ammo combinations .............Some extreme distances their and you won't get to hear about the missed ones but I for one am interested if that is the consistant performance of massed produced ammo used by army snipers .

IMO Holding over is perfectly suitable for ranges up to 250-300m tops. (centerfires of course). Nick has been teaching me to shoot to this range, sometime im sure we will pass it, but the hold over for my rifle from 100-300m is roughly a foot. This is an easy adjustment. However at 400-500m this calculation more then doubles, and an accurate ballistics chart is required to calculate the exact level of elevation adjustment required.

So we could still do with hearing from someone who has done a fair bit of this, not read the book watched the vid etc etc . . .

Well, if we're calling <500m long range then yes, I regularly shoot 600m plus. I call long range ~1km+!!! Everything I do is primarily done by dialling in, very infrequently do I have to hold over, but it obviously all depends on your scope & it's capabilities.