Which dog?

tody27

Hi everybody,

After following all of NTTF's fantastic advice on dog training and going shooting with people with gun dogs I have decided to go for it and get my very own gun dog. I would like to know which dog is the easiest to train. I have been thinking about getting either a cocker, springer or a retriever. Cocker spaniel is the dog I am most fond of- I have heard good reports from fellow shooters that they are good at everything: water, bushes,retrieving. But I have also heard that they can be a bit nippy and bad tempered. A good tempered dog is vital as it will be around small children- Is this a clear description?

Any advice is much appreciated,

Tody

Tody,

Yes NTTF's advice on these forums is first class. Isnt it nice to have access to someone who knows what they are talking about and is obviously passionate about the subject.

I have kept and trained all three of the dogs you mentioned and each has its own characteristics. I would not say any of them are easier or more difficult to train than the other and it very much depends on the breeding to some extent. I have had a Springer from the mating of a dual ftc and ftw and he was a complete natural and did not take that much training. At the moment I have a great Cocker Dog ( Neutered ) 2 years old who is a superb dog and will be collecting another Springer shortly from Mad Springer.

Cockers are becoming increasingly poular in the field and for good reason they are superbly adaptable in the field, as you say, and also at home. We have had 6 cockers in the family since I was a lad and I have never known any of them to be nippy or ill tempered. Even so the behavioural pattern is very much down to you.

Dogs are pack animals at the end of the day and have a heirarchy within the pack. You must firmly establish from a very young age that your dog is at the bottom of the ladder within the family and subservient to your Children. This sounds difficult and requires a bit of Phsycology but is very easy to achieve.

Which ever dog you choose make sure you go and have a look at the parents. When I bought my current Cocker 2 years ago I opened the gate of the house where the pup was from and the Mother came bounding up the path towards me tail wagging, genuinely pleased to see me and very friendly, Her pup was sold from there on!

A properly treated dog of either of the breeds you mention are just very keen to please and you wont have any trouble with any of them. That said, Springers and Cockers are very active dogs and go through life at 100 miles an hour, but they are also very adaptable in the home.

Everybody knows I am bias when it comes to Spaniels and as I have said before they are the "maid of all work" equally at home hunting and flushing up game in the thickest of cover or at the retrieve on land or water. I have never known a Spaniel that could not swim like an otter.

I dont think you would go far wrong with either a Springer or Cocker and personally if it were my first dog I would go for the Cocker.. You wont be dissapointed.

Good Luck.

FM.

Tody

Much depends on the sort of shooting you will do, and your own temperament.

If you want to beat on a shoot, do a bit of walkng up, occasionally pick up then thats what spaniels do. They also drive you nuts if you are not a "rough and tumble" sort of bloke who can see the joke.

For retrieving from a hide, tideline, picking up big time, then a labs your man. Steadier than a spaniel, and not going to fray your temper. For a first timer I'd go for the Lab.

Best advice....pick up the thread "Lab pups for sale" by Jegy Z (Jeff) and go to see the pups. Jeff is very experienced, has a shedful of dogs that he works, is a Field Trial judge and head man of a gundog society. Also a very helpful chap on training.

Regards

Eug

thanks very much guys, very informative. I am probably going to go for the cocker but I am going to look around a bit and meet a few breeders, see what the parents are like in working terms and temprement.

Thanks very much for your help,

Tody