Waterproof hats.

Cranfield

I have owned 100's of waxed waterproof hats over the years and am getting fed up with the horrible musty smell that eventually emnates from them, which makes me buy another one before they are worn out.

As I need a new "walking about" waterproof hat, I have been looking at the Australian leather oilskin hats that get advertised on eBay.

Like this;

3d8e_2.jpg

Has anyone else bought one, or something similar ?

Please please don't do it Cranners, I have 3-4 mates that wear those things, I always think I have turned up at some sort of line dancing convention when they come shooting :rolleyes::lol:

Treat yourself and look at the Seeland Beater or Harkila Kodiak if you are feeling flush.

I have a similar one and have had to buy the missus a Beater hat for Christmas to stop her nicking mine.

Warm, comfortable, windproof, waterproof, breathable and you don't end up looking like Johhny Cash - what more do you need?

Incoming!!

I have had one, it's OK but nothing special, and it will still smell/leak over time - they are also hot in warm weather. :P

I was very surprised with the waterproofness of my wool felt hat at this years Malvern show (it POURED!!) - not a drop of water came through all day - but it would be too warm on a hotter day.

I've recently bought a Barbour Bushman hat (http://www.redrae.co.uk/images/H8031.jpg), still waxed though, but very tough (if you want one be quick - they've stopped making them ~£40).

But what I would recommend for all year, one hat only, waterproof but not too hot would be a Oz type fur felt hat as per Akubra hats. I have an ex RAAF fur felt hat (got given it by a RAAF mate out there, they're about £300 new!), and it's great, doesn't smell, light, waterproof (even in tropical rainstorms!). They may be expensive (should be able to get a cheaper Akubra hat for about £80-£90), but you won't need to buy another hat for the rest of your life, and it will last that long! :lol: (And I know that I did, still do, buy other hats but I think I have a bit of a hat fetish/problem! :rolleyes:)

Wash your hair more and dust it (the hat) with Mycota foot powder. You be bald in no time, but your hat won't smell.

They look well made.

I can assure you I have no problems with personal hygeine. :rolleyes:

The smell is caused by a wet waxproofed hat being squashed into a pocket of my waterproof coat, or thrown in the back of my truck, until the next time I want to wear it.

Whilst I appreciate this is not the way to treat it, its what I do.

Oly, do you have any ideas where those hats are advertised ?

Cranners, if your google Akubra you will get as good an idea as me I'm afraid. I did look at buying another a little while back (like I say...I have a problem!) and I think there was an importer in Norfolk, but I am sure there are a few around. Best bet is to look on the Oz Akubra site, figure out what design/style your want (http://www.akubra.com.au/) and contact a local dealer for a price. If my memory serves me right it was as cheap to buy one from the Akubra Oz website and pay the shipping etc (they used to offer this service) as buying one in the UK...but it would be worth checking.

One thing though from your outline - they are NOT crush'able - however if you do accidentally sit on it etc it's fine and may pop back into shape or you can reshape them (as I did with mine - didn't like the orginal shape) easily by leaving them to soak submersed in water overnight then reshaping it and allowing it to dry.

Guest The Outlaw
I have owned 100's of waxed waterproof hats over the years and am getting fed up with the horrible musty smell that eventually emnates from them, which makes me buy another one before they are worn out.

As I need a new "walking about" waterproof hat, I have been looking at the Australian leather oilskin hats that get advertised on eBay.

Like this;

3d8e_2.jpg

Calamity Jane bought me exactly the same hat for my birthday a couple of years ago at the game fair at Kelmarsh.

It is used for everything, shooting fishing, evengoing down the shops when it is raining, she even uses it sometimmes.

It was treated when she bought it and has not been touched since and it is fine.

I will give it another treatment this year after winter just to stop it soaking up rain.

Best and only hat apart from the thinsulate beanie I will wear.

Tony

Like this;

3d8e_2.jpg

Complete with long tailfeather?? very nice :lol:

:rolleyes: D2D

Cranfield,

I have the Barmah 1060 Foldaway Leather Australian Hat's, absolutely great, been out in all conditions no problems at all.

I'm on my 2nd one now as my old chap nicked my first one. :P

You can get them from here direct :

http://www.bushgear.co.uk/acatalog/Full_range.html

It's better in the flesh than in the pictures.

Hewey.