Met my new friend last night

Guest The Outlaw

Guest The Outlaw

Hi people,

Yesterday was a strange day for me.

I was talking to a shooting buddy of mine and he mentioned that he knew of a springer that needed rehoming.

My ear pricked up because my old girl Sian had to be put down last year and it is still very painful to us all.

It turns out this springer belongs to Pirates, daughters in laws and I remember seeing him when he was a pup.

I rang Pirates daughter to get the low down and found that he is 18 months old, black and white English Springer.

He has to move because when he is left on his own he gets a bit noisy and the neighbours where he lives have

complained to the council, so after a lot of soul searching his owners have decided to rehome him where he can get the

attention he needs.

Anyway last night I dragged my self off my death bed to go and see him, I had been told he is great with women, children

and cats but is not good with men.

A challenge here I thought well here goes bring it on.

I went round and as the lady opened the door he barked once and ran an hid in his bed.

So knowing dogs I went into the kitchen and started talking to her about him.

But the first thing I did was to get on the floor and not look at him.

After about 10 mins he got a bit braver and got up and came to about 6ft from me but still I ignored him.

Then as we chatted he got a bit close and I looked at him and said hello, woosh back to his bed.

So I layed on the floor near his food bowl and carried on talking.

Out he came again a bit closer this time and looked me over but we kept talking and he got nearer and nearer.

I then picked up his football and rolled it to him.

He got it and hid behind his owner.

We kept chatting and I got his his ball back and held it and he eventually came over and sniffed me.

I just kept on ignoring him and by this time his owner said even her son cant get that close to him.

As time went by he got braver and braver to the point that he licked my hand and seemed quite settled.

So I said to the lady we should move to another room to see what he does.

We went in the lounge to see another of her cats and he followed, while I was standing next to a chair he got

up on it and stood on his back legs with his front legs on my thigh and let me stroke him, always keeping an eye on me.

I went to lean over him and he backed off.

So back to the kitchen but he was staying put, I clicked my fingers and patted my leg to call him and he followed.

That was it the lady said she was more than happy for me to take him because she could tell I knew about dogs

and she had never seen him be like this with another man apart from her husband.

Anyhow to cut it a bit short we talked for a bit longer and I went back to the floor layong on my back and he came

over and was sniffing me and licked my face.

I then sat up with my legs out and he sat between my legs with his back to me and let me stroke his back and ears.

I have arranged to pick him up in the new year after we get back from our Christmas visiting.

Then we can begin a long happy friendship and some training.

My mate Jimmy will be continued after the new year.

Tony

Guest The Outlaw
Will you be trying to use him for shooting? Im sure he will come around mate.

Alex :good:

Hopefully yes but if he isnt up for it I will do obedience training with him.

I'm hopeful he will be ok.

Tony

Guest The Outlaw

Thanks chaps This was the first time I had met a man shy dog.

I am taking Calam to meet him next, it is hard to keep it a secret form the kids but we have committed to have him

and will not let him go.

His current owners are not young and love him very much so it will be very hard for them when we pick him

up after Christmas.

Tony

Thanks chaps This was the first time I had met a man shy dog.

I am taking Calam to meet him next, it is hard to keep it a secret form the kids but we have committed to have him

and will not let him go.

His current owners are not young and love him very much so it will be very hard for them when we pick him

up after Christmas.

Tony

Yes cannot wait to meet the new man in my life..... however Outlaw you did not do all that nice and easy intro stuff when you first met me :good:

Guest The Outlaw

Well thats Christmas and new year over with.

Its is now, we have a new housemate.

Yep he's here, Calam phoned the lady this morning while I was out shooting to see if she could come over with

me to meet Jimmy.

She picked up over the phone they were finding it hard to deal with him going and they were also worried about him

being left on monday while they were at work.

So after shooting we went over to see him, he remembered me and was ok after a minute or so with Calam.

The pocket of dog treats helped as well.

After a short chat with the owners Calam and I decided that it would be best if he came home with us today.

So a mad rush packing his things up and sorting his papers out.

We put him in the car with some of his toys and his bed and made for home.

Not a murmor from him just saw his head pop up a few times and that was it, nice trip for a dog that

hasnt done much car stuff.

Bought him home, met the cats, cats left home, kids come home :good::angry: :angry:

Chaos reigns, kids love him he loves them great news, still no cats :angry:

Walk over the field needed, Sians old Martingale collar fitted and off we go.

Pulls like a train so heel work is first on the list, seems ok after a while with the heel work a bit untidy but

learning already :angry:

Sitting at roadside cool with that as well.

Now crashed out on sofa as I type this, snoring his head off and dreaming of happy days to come I hope.

Cats back and gone again but they will be ok eventually.

More to come after we crack some basic training.

Calam got some good pics so I will post them ASAP.

Tony and Jim

Tony

Guest The Outlaw

Some pics as promised, I have put them on the picture gallery as well.

Jimmy just woken up

HPIM0461.jpg

Jimmy getting a stroke and trying to gate grash PW

HPIM0465.jpg

Jimmy crashed out after a walk over the fields

HPIM0469.jpg

I have some more so will edit and post them later.

Tony

Guest The Outlaw

Well its been a few days since Jimmy joined us,and boy have we had fun.

He is just like a child, well behaved around someone elses house but a nighmare at home.

Well he is at home now :lol:

He has found a new game clled chase the cats and has also discovered Christmas.

A trip to the pet shop today for a full choke chain and training lead.

He has found his feet and has got used to us now we need to start the serious work.

The cats are really tolerant but he is close to getting a good striping from them if he carries on with his one dog

mission to rid the world of cats.

A rolled up newspaper is the best deterant to him chasing them, if you bang it on the table or door near to where he is he

stops and sits wondering "what the hell was that"

We are feeding us and the cats first to establish a pecking order so hopefully these things combined will sort him out.

I'm over the flu a bit now so I will wear him out more now and soon I will start on long lining him on the fields.

I did try the whistle and he responds to that as well so it is all looking pretty good for now.

Further updates and pics to come.

Tony

Guest The Outlaw

Today Jimmy had his first experience of girlie dogs and the seaside.

He likes girlies( dog/owner?) and loved the beaches and sand dunnes.

Ran and ran as a springer can and is now asleep knackered next to me.

Some more pics will be on the way.

He is working well with a whistle and hand signals, and his heel work is great.

He has proved he is clever and has learned really quickly.

He seems ok with guns and will be tested when we have his retrieve sorted by doing some field hopping.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Outlaw

"Houston, We have a problem"

Jimmy has been brought up with cats at his previos address and seemed ok with them but he is getting even more agressive with ours, to the point that he caught and bit one of them yesterday.

He has to go!

We have tried to keep it sweet between them but we and the girls are getting worried about it enough that we have put child gates all over the house to stop him from getting at them.

We think it is a jealousy issue and if he gets jealous of cats we are worried if we have a visitor with a baby, even though we think he is ok with older kids but we cant take the risk.

He has always tried to hump our girls and they have been strict with him and he has now turned his full attention to the cats.

We wanted to use him for breeding as he is a fantstic dog but the previous owners spoiled him.

He works really well considering he has only been in training for a few weeks.

What we are considering is letting him go to a breeder or owner that wants to breed from him in return for a bitch from the first litter.

If we bring a pup up with cats life is easier and the pup would know the pecking order.

We just cant get him castrated to see if it works as we then have nothing to breed from.

Any of you people out there think of anything else we could try or would anyone consider a swap with him and a bitch pup.

We havent formed a huge emotional bond with him and we love our cats more.

Sounds harsh but thats how we feel.

Tony

[persevere with him . you were so keen to get him < or was it the thought of breeding him > £££££££££££££££££££££

sorry if that offends you !

my ohs black lab lived with cats but when she moved in with me he decided that he would try to kill mine .

i kept him on a lead when i fed them and gave him a good yank when he lunged at them. 1 yr later he sleeps with our oldest cat.

have you considered caging him to keep him calm and let him settle .in

i bred a litter of ess 16 mths ago and at 10 mths had a pup back as they said she was to hypo . shes not shes mad shadow chasing etc .

nothing like her litter sister i kept who has immaculate stop and retrieve . but i cant rehome her again its not fair ! even tho it takes me to 9 dogs omg !!

just time and effort and he will come on !

maybe consider a kennel

attachment=14432:dogz_004.JPG]

post-7966-1200000064.jpg