Supporting the Hunts

Guest The Outlaw

Guest The Outlaw

Its getting near to Christmas and I was wondering if anyone out there in PW land will be supporting thier local hunts.

Ours is on Boxing day in Winslow village square and then they are off to who knows where.

A traditional starting point for the Waddesdon *** Bicester Hunt.

We will see them off and follow for a while then go visiting relatives.

Tony

I will certainly be out supporting the hunt and the hounds, i went for the first time last year. there is a lovely valley that the hounds go through and it looks brilliant. A real picture moment. will be taking a camera with me to get some pics. then i will spend the afternoon with family.

very much looking forward to it. :lol:

Silverton Hunt :lol: (if i can get out of the pit!)

Been out with them many a time, if not following them I used to follow the Stoke Hill beagles, great little pack. They also meet on the farm.

We used to help puppy walk with both packs though fox hounds are a real handful, mind you we had 4 beagle pups from Stoke Hill at one time, Vulcan, Verger, Vixen and Vamp.

4 naughtier pups you could never wish for!

:lol:

I am shooting boxing day but if in Sussex we follow the Southdown and Erridge Hunt.

this sounds bad but i have never ever been to a hunt ... not sure where i would go to watch one if that is what you do lol

Click on lb,s link and find your nearest pack,you wont regret it.

Seeing a pack come through a valley on a frosty morning and hearing them speak on a scent is one of the most spine tingling things you will ever experiance.It really gets the hairs on the back of your neck standing up.

Guest The Outlaw
right i have found one in derbyshire and one in leicestershire

so now my question is do i just turn up at where they meet ? how do i find a spot to watch from or can you follow the whole hunt?

Turn up and have a chat with them, you can follow the spotters if you want but as there are no foxes involved any

more there could be a route planned, just ask to tag along.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Well I will not be supporting mine. The fox hunts are nothing but a bloody nusence around me. they seen to think they can ride where ever they want and could not care less about the dammage and its got worse since they stopped catching foxes.

I manage a number of woodland ride that contain a lot of woodland plants including a number of rare species of lily. It looks like a ploughed field by the time 30+ horses have galloped down the rides. Now they lay a drag useing a 4 wheeled motobike and wander off the rides laying ascent trail across even more vlunrable habitits dammaging areas of coppice and encredably rich botanical areas. On another local nature reserve the have to try and stop the hunt from comming through by wardening the entrances. In the past the hunt has come through chaseing a fox right in front of bird hides and infront of members of the public and disturbing 100s of wildfowl off the lakes . Some hunts are bending rules that were meant to protect falconers. At present falaconers are allowed to use a couple of dogs to flush game , but a few hunts now use a falcon to allow them to run the hounds . The result of this will be a ristriction on the number of dogs falconers can use that may also effect shooters too. On one occasion I found my local hunt terrier men digging out and killing badgers within the boundary of my nature reserve.

I love to see the old country pratice of fox hunting and i still think it is the most humain way of controling foxes , but some moden hunts are abuseing their rights and may threaten other field sports. And let me ask how many fox hunters would turn out to protest about any threats to shooting . Very few i suspect.

So i can tell you now I will not be supporting fox hunters in my area.

Guest The Outlaw
Well I will not be supporting mine. The fox hunts are nothing but a bloody nusence around me. they seen to think they can ride where ever they want and could not care less about the dammage and its got worse since they stopped catching foxes.

I manage a number of woodland ride that contain a lot of woodland plants including a number of rare species of lily. It looks like a ploughed field by the time 30+ horses have galloped down the rides. Now they lay a drag useing a 4 wheeled motobike and wander off the rides laying ascent trail across even more vlunrable habitits dammaging areas of coppice and encredably rich botanical areas. On another local nature reserve the have to try and stop the hunt from comming through by wardening the entrances. In the past the hunt has come through chaseing a fox right in front of bird hides and infront of members of the public and disturbing 100s of wildfowl off the lakes . Some hunts are bending rules that were meant to protect falconers. At present falaconers are allowed to use a couple of dogs to flush game , but a few hunts now use a falcon to allow them to run the hounds . The result of this will be a ristriction on the number of dogs falconers can use that may also effect shooters too. On one occasion I found my local hunt terrier men digging out and killing badgers within the boundary of my nature reserve.

I love to see the old country pratice of fox hunting and i still think it is the most humain way of controling foxes , but some moden hunts are abuseing their rights and may threaten other field sports. And let me ask how many fox hunters would turn out to protest about any threats to shooting . Very few i suspect.

So i can tell you now I will not be supporting fox hunters in my area.

Have you tried talking to the hunt master, they need all the support they can get so a word in the right ear might help.

Tony

I fell out with the local hunt about 7 years back when i received a letter saying they "will be riding through my land" not please could we ride through, ive got horses and also a lot of farm cats to keep the rats down and the hounds would have just killed the cats and the hunt would have wound my horses up causing possible injury, so i politely informed them that i did not want them coming through my ground by letter, anyway the day came and down the side of one of the feilds where about 10+ on horseback and a pack of dogs letting themselves into my bottom feild which had a mare in foal, i went down to give them a ####ing and rather than stopping just tried to ride past me so i shut the gate and the cheeky **** asked me what i was doing!?

needless to say i literally frog marched the one guy out of the feild and the others where close behind into the hands of the local bobby, then he went straight up to the bobby and said i had assaulted him , and the bobby said the way i saw it sir is that you where trespassing! and after a few obsenities where thrown from each corner they finally did go, but straight up my neighbours property and did the same thing and the same idiot in the lead this time got a broken nose, no more than he deserved!

Im not against foxhunting in fact if i could accommodate the hunts coming through my ground i would let them but not the bunch of a*****;s that i met previously!

"On one occasion I found my local hunt terrier men digging out and killing badgers within the boundary of my nature reserve. "

If this statement is true, I am sure you contacted the Police, the people involved were prosecuted and you can post a link to the relevant newspaper reports.

I don't think you will find there is any such thing as a "modern Hunt".

Its the same Hunts trying to conduct their affairs within the current laws.

The trespass you allege, can sometimes happen and is regretted, every attempt is made to keep hounds out of prohibited areas.

Likewise with damage caused.

Its fair to add that damage can be caused by all sorts of countryside users ( bird watchers and walkers can be the worse), not just Hunts.

Guest The Outlaw

It seems they are'nnt doing thierselves any favours with that sort of attitude.

I would hope they would seek permission to hunt on your land as we all would if we wanted to shoot somewhere.

As I dont own land I cant say what our Local hunt organisers are like for being polite and curtious.

Tony

Just out of interest SK is the land owned by you or under any form of tenancy? as usually they ask rather than tell unless another arrangement has been made with the lands owner.

The problem with hunting in much of the Uk is that the land is unsuitable to it with too many roads houses and people. Normally they are pretty respectful for property but I have known exceptions where there have been problems, mostly with hounds chasing things they shouldn't. as for terrier men digging for badgers i'd be very very surprised they have to be so careful and what is in it for them there is unlikely to be a shortage of foxes to dig

Guest The Outlaw
Just out of interest SK is the land owned by you or under any form of tenancy? as usually they ask rather than tell unless another arrangement has been made with the lands owner.

The problem with hunting in much of the Uk is that the land is unsuitable to it with too many roads houses and people. Normally they are pretty respectful for property but I have known exceptions where there have been problems, mostly with hounds chasing things they shouldn't. as for terrier men digging for badgers i'd be very very surprised they have to be so careful and what is in it for them there is unlikely to be a shortage of foxes to dig

Good point I know the tennant farmers round here have no say it is up to the land owner.

The tennant farmers are advicsed though and given time to organise things.

Tony