Tikka t3 super varmint with stainless optilock mounts

Rossenarra

OK....people outy thee have read my previous posts looking for info on various foxing rifles for my first rifle buy.....I was more or less decided on a remington VSSF II .223 with nightforce scope 5.5 – 22 but decided I want to buy a European rifle…..so my latest choice is a Tikka T3 super varmint.

On the scope I have deicided not to bother getting nightforce as the 5.5-22 is some what of a waste for shooting foxes, I have read that for foxes people leave there magnification on 7-8 99% of the time. So as I wanted to buy a again European scope with good name, will look well with rifle and have a wide tube and object range……..to I have come yp with a

Rifle………..Tikka t3 super varmint with stainless optilock mounts

Scope………. CONQUEST 3-12x56 MC Stainles

Bi-pod……harris

Moderator……..not sure yet

OK….how does that sound for a combo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have a look on the BBS Firearms section about several Tikka HB / Varmints :yp: If you don't want to spend Sako money then how about a Howa, they are very well rated or if you don't fancy then the VSSF's are a cracking rifle especially with the new trigger.

Scope - S & B 8 X 56, for Foxing a variable means more time ********* about. I know you can leave it set but in the real world...............

Mod - DM80

Bipod - 9 - 13 Harris swivel

IMHO

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread...t=Tikka+Varmint

The conquest ia an american version of the scope - but still pretty damn good scope

i am also liking the tikka choice too :yp:

Moderator T8 SSR

=

Well don't get me wrong not anti american or anything but I wanted a good scope that matched the barrell....kinda wanted it to be a good shooter and be aesthetically pleasing

cheers for the moderator suggestion

1, Why the varmit model

Its a foxing rifle keep it light , you won't be shoting round after round through it .

2, S&B 8x56

3,harris

4, wildcat predator 8 compact ,keep the weight down

can carry this all day and shoots straight to , Tikka t3 lite Ziess 3-12x56 wildcat predator 8 compact mod

harris bipod

Photo-0103.jpg

1, Why the varmit model

Its a foxing rifle keep it light , you won't be shoting round after round through it .

2, S&B 8x56

3,harris

4, wildcat predator 8 compact ,keep the weight down

can carry this all day and shoots straight to , Tikka t3 lite Ziess 3-12x56 wildcat predator 8 compact mod

harris bipod

Photo-0103.jpg

Thats looks sweet, nice bit of kit

That sounds like an excellent choice :good: Good decision on the scope to you wont need more magnification than that for foxes :lol:

Magmans is right about the weight it will be heavy but so would the vsff.Did you get a price on the super varmint they are a lovely looking job :yp:

That sounds like an excellent choice :good: Good decision on the scope to you wont need more magnification than that for foxes :lol:

Magmans is right about the weight it will be heavy but so would the vsff.Did you get a price on the super varmint they are a lovely looking job :yp:

Got quoted 1250.00 for the super varmint.......doesn't seem to be many people with super varmints...maybe just better off going for the tactical...although I don't think there's much of a weight diff.

Personally I would stick to your original choice :yp: To be honest though it sounds like your budget has changed - as surely the price difference between those two setups would be considerable :good:...as would the end product IMO :lol:

I agree such a variable scope would be OTT for just foxes, but it would enable you to one day (for example) take up range shooting etc if you so wished

Personally I would stick to your original choice :good: To be honest though it sounds like your budget has changed - as surely the price difference between those two setups would be considerable :lol:...as would the end product IMO :(

I agree such a variable scope would be OTT for just foxes, but it would enable you to one day (for example) take up range shooting etc if you so wished

Not at all Oly……as an accountant (nothing to be proud of…) I like to do a lot of research on what I buy, I am not that price sensitive will spend up to say Euro3.5K…what I want is a gun that will last for years and will be top notch

I have posted on here many times on my first rifle buy….my original choice being a remington vssf II with nightforce

There will be celebration on this forum when I eventually actually buy my rifle

My shotgun choice was 10 times easier,,,,silver pigeon all way

Not at all Oly……as an accountant (nothing to be proud of…) I like to do a lot of research on what I buy, I am not that price sensitive will spend up to say Euro3.5K

That surprises me - I would have though your original setup would have been a good chunk more expensive - but I suppose it's like you say - your not that price sensitive

what I want is a gun that will last for years and will be top notch

Personally I wouldn't go for a Tikka then, as I have always said, I consider the quality to be considerably below that of it's rivals (also see the deertalking forum - many on there agree), especially for the price. IMO, if you want to go euro then go for a Sako or Steyr :good: With a Tikka I could see it being traded in within 12 months (which is why you see quite a few used ones about - not that they don't shoot straight, but people get bored and want better). :lol:

In addition, (something I consider when buying) once you've outshot the original barrel (10K+ rounds hopefully!) a replacement through the likes of Border Barrels will be a lot easier and better on a Sako or Stery action than a Tikka - simply because they deal with more Remmy's (mostly), Sako and Steyr re-barrels (from talking to Border Barrels they said that this is because these are the types of guns that serious shooters - accuracy boffins - generally opt for).

If time is a consideration then you will have a wait for the super varmint, I wanted to order one in November and was told it would be March or April 2008.

I ordered the Tactical instead, I was told that would be delivery mid to late December, I've contacted GMK about delivery and am now told it will be the end of January.

So if you are able to wait then either one sounds good.

not that they don't shoot straight, but people get bored and want better

:lol: :( Cant see how a remington or sako would be better than a tikka when the tikka has practically the same action and barrel as the sako seeing as they came out of the same factory :good: sako are wayyy overpriced for what they are :lol:

€1250 is a good price for the super varmint they are fairly similar to the tactical with the cheekpiece ect does the shop actually have the gun in stock?

I looked at a couple of Tikkas in the gun shop - cycled the bolt on one of them and the little plastic cap fell off the back of it. So I bought Steyrs and have never regretted it for a second. The Tikka tactical model's really just a basic rifle with a fancy stock and a muzzle brake - and a hefty price tag. The Steyr Scout is worth a look - I have one in .223 and it's the DB.

I looked at a couple of Tikkas in the gun shop - cycled the bolt on one of them and the little plastic cap fell off the back of it. So I bought Steyrs and have never regretted it for a second. The Tikka tactical model's really just a basic rifle with a fancy stock and a muzzle brake - and a hefty price tag.

Maybe i didn't drop my tactical on the ground enough yet but no piece of plastic fell off mine :good: The tactical is totally different to the entire range of t3's it has for one a completely different barrel than any other tikka,adjustable length,adjustable cheekpiece,fatter forend,factory threaded,pictanny rail as standard,adjustable trigger and mine for one is seriously accurate which for me is by far the most important thing i have shot over 130 foxes with mine since feb of last year so i certainly would reccomend it :lol:

The super varmint is very similar just in stainless i have never fired one or even handled one so i dont know if its in the same league as the tactical id imagine its a heavier gun though the tactical is a grand weight-not to heavy for carrying long distances :(

Cant see how a remington or sako would be better than a tikka when the tikka has practically the same action and barrel as the sako seeing as they came out of the same factory

Kiplings mince pies and apple pies come out of the same factory - doesn't mean that one single item on them is made by the same process!!! :lol: Like I've said before, Sako & Tikka share the same owner, and factory - but that is where the similarity ends. :lol:

:lol::friends: Cant see how a remington or sako would be better than a tikka when the tikka has practically the same action and barrel as the sako seeing as they came out of the same factory :lol: sako are wayyy overpriced for what they are :friends:

€1250 is a good price for the super varmint they are fairly similar to the tactical with the cheekpiece ect does the shop actually have the gun in stock?

I have owned a Tikka T3 and now have a Sako Varmint Model 75, they maybe made in the same factory but they are worlds apart in quality and function.

:lol::friends: Cant see how a remington or sako would be better than a tikka when the tikka has practically the same action and barrel as the sako seeing as they came out of the same factory :lol: sako are wayyy overpriced for what they are :friends:

I have owned a Tikka T3 and now have a Sako Varmint Model 75, they maybe made in the same factory but they are worlds apart in quality and function.

Hmmmm flip it I just might just go with the styer pro hunter or pro varmint....know a guy who will do me a good deal and put a fixed 8x56 kahles scope on it mod and bi-pod

The english version for those who don't speak German!! :lol:http://www.steyrarms.com/

I've always been a fan of the SSG's and the Pro Varmint. The Scout is a good rifle, I just don't like the light barrel and the look of it...but that is simply personal preferences - don't think you would go wrong with any of them. :lol:

Danke schon, sprechen sie deutsch, nein?:friends:? yak yak yak :friends:

Ya.....guns shops in Ireland must be making a fortune...I have rang the main dealer of styer around 3 times...and he's always up the walls when I'm talking to him so he takes my number and says he will ring me back.....never bothers....some people just don't want to take your money

I find gunshops here on Saturday a complete disaster......loads of people in the shop most not irish (not complaining....this is good), the polish are mad into the fishing and must have brought these shops turnover up by loads...but disaster if you want a shop assistant to show you some guns, they are not really interested as the place is tearing

Anyway...got off the point a bit.........think I'll go for the styer..........most probably a pro varmint......

Anyway...got off the point a bit.........think I'll go for the styer..........most probably a pro varmint......

Good plan! :lol:

Rang him back again....same again "I'm up the walls phone hopping I'll take your number"

I said "you said that yesterday"......he said "no honest I'll ring ya back in 5 min"

Flippin 2 hours later.....you guessed it...no word

They have it way too easy

Like I've said before, Sako & Tikka share the same owner, and factory - but that is where the similarity ends. :lol:

I personally couldnt give a **** about the difference between a sako and a tikka all i know is the action in the tikka is very smooth with a very nice trigger and any i have heard of are very accurate i have shot the new sako 85 in .223 and to me it felt the exact same as a tikka with the same bolt same safety same mag and was no more accurate than my t3 yet it had a price tag of €2050 pure and utter rip off of a price even the gun shop owner said so :lol:

Why would you be put off buying the tikka rossenarra are you buying a gun to kill foxes or to sit on your mantlepiece to look at :friends: