Tikka t3 super varmint with stainless optilock mounts

Rossenarra

Why would you be put off buying the tikka rossenarra are you buying a gun to kill foxes or to sit on your mantlepiece to look at :lol:

Thats why i have just gone and bought a tikka t3 - i decided it was a tool to use for foxes and would be chucked around the truck etc, couldn't see why i should spend more than i need on a rifle.

Remember boys and girls i already own a sako 75 in 243, so have i good idea about the quilty diffferance.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why would you be put off buying the tikka rossenarra are you buying a gun to kill foxes or to sit on your mantlepiece to look at :)

True, there seems to be quite a lot of people using the Tikka T3 on these forums successfully. At this stage I'm either going t o buy Tikka or steyr. If that donkey would have rang me back yesterday I would have just put a deposit on a pro varmint.......so my next post on this topic will be what I have bought.........I swear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ultimately you have to decide what is best for you, it is worth asking owners what they think (important ephasis) about their guns, but from there on in you will get opinions from fans of other brands. You will soon work out, who is a fan of brand 'A' for instance as they won't have good thing to say about brand 'B' etc etc.

As an example, I wouldn't even consider, not even in my top 20, any gun that doesn't have a removable magazine for instance.

Yet I met someone last year who paid to have his Sako 75 converted from magazine feed to trap door - each to their own :)

Good luck with it, all of the guns you have looked at are decent makes/types you won't go wrong with any of those it's persoanl preference from here on in.

Remember boys and girls i already own a sako 75 in 243, so have i good idea about the quilty diffferance.

Not being funny mate, but thought someone should ask the question - would you still have gone for the Tikka giving the problems your now encountering (http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=47512) :)

I've heard of a good number of Tikka's not being right straight out of the box, and it seems like the only make out of the usual 'top brands' that have this problem - I'm pretty sure though that if it wasn't for the price, the aesthetics and the fact that the are owned by Sako that they would have seen a much bigger downturn of sales than they have. :lol:

i have shot the new sako 85 in .223 and to me it felt the exact same as a tikka with the same bolt same safety same mag and was no more accurate than my t3 yet it had a price tag of €2050 pure and utter rip off of a price even the gun shop owner said so :lol:

Sako's have true action sizes unlike the Tikka T3 which are all long so can't have had the same bolt & travel and a quality metal magazine unlike the Tikka's truly horrible plastic jobbie.

Sako's have true action sizes unlike the Tikka T3 which are all long so can't have had the same bolt & travel and a quality metal magazine unlike the Tikka's truly horrible plastic jobbie.

Bolt travel does not bother me-why would it as long as its smooth :lol:

The"horrible plastic jobbie" is 100% functional and works perfect the "plastic" does not corrode or jam is is ment to be far stronger than steel.

Bolt travel does not bother me-why would it as long as its smooth :lol:

The"horrible plastic jobbie" is 100% functional and works perfect the "plastic" does not corrode or jam is is ment to be far stronger than steel.

Never had a problem with the magazine on my Tikka, worked really well.

I have had a Tikka T3 the point I am making is they are not built the same as a Sako, no snobbery just fact and please don't tell me the plastic magazines with the filler block are OK they may work but thats about it.

You pay your money and take your choice, John you got shut of yours PDQ didn't you same as me??

I got shut of mine because it used to throw fliers no matter what I tried through it, my Sako doesn't.

Maybe I was unlucky same as John, you 'serious Fox shooters' must have got lucky. :good::good:

It may appear like snobbery, but it is honestly not. Like already said, you pays your money and you takes your choice. All I'm going off is what I have experienced/heard/read (as with anything in life I guess!!)...I just resent paying out hundreds of pounds for a gun that, for many, still throws fliers and doesn't have as good build quality :good: I would prefer, and recommend, to buy a used better make rifle for the same money or save your money until you can afford better. That said - for very similar money you can buy a half decent Remington & Steyr...both of which don't come with this issue - so the question for me would be...why buy Tikka :good: However, the Remington's and Steyr's that you can buy for similar money don't look as pretty as the Tikka!! :good::lol:

I would never buy second hand unless I was certain on the guns previous history .......Most guns are moved on for a very good reason normally and anyone that knows a bit about consistant accuracy combined with reliability will 9/10 hang on to it if it performs.

Having said that there will always be exceptions to the norm :good:

I'd be like Ive in that I'd not buy a secondhand centrefire.

Yes I seem to re-call you moved on a Tikka recently :good:

To be fair to Tikka for the money they are generally a excellant performing rifle like the CZ but I can imagine there will be some dodgy SAKO's ,Steyrs, remmington's etc! out there also .The fact is because of the price most shooters will have these lower price range rifles so the chances of negative feedback will be higher . :good:

I'd be like Ive in that I'd not buy a secondhand centrefire.

Yes I seem to re-call you moved on a Tikka recently :good:

To be fair to Tikka for the money they are generally a excellant performing rifle like the CZ but I can imagine there will be some dodgy SAKO's ,Steyrs, remmington's etc! out there also .The fact is because of the price most shooters will have these lower price range rifles so the chances of negative feedback will be higher . :good:

:good: You had to go and bring that up :lol: That's exactly why I wouldn't buy a second hand centrefire!! Happen to know it was snapped up very quickly :good: And no, I did not ask who, where, why or how it's doing!

I still reckon mine was a Friday afternoon special :lol: But being honest about it I do read a good number of reports on Tikkas that aren't performing to expectations. Why, I don't know but they seem to be out there. You're right though, there will always be a dodgy this or that brand/type of rifle which gets through.

I would never buy second hand unless I was certain on the guns previous history .......Most guns are moved on for a very good reason normally and anyone that knows a bit about consistant accuracy combined with reliability will 9/10 hang on to it if it performs.

Having said that there will always be exceptions to the norm ;)

I know I brought this up, but I do agree with you Ive (I should have added that!) :good: - you do NEED to know the history of the gun, and preferably put a fair few rounds through it first. :beer:However, like you say there are always exceptions, some people just find out they don't like centrefires, some grow old and have to get rid, some people die unexpectantly etc etc...I know one of my guns had an interesting life, I bought it secondhand from the dealer who first sold it - the guy who bought it had it blueprinted and trigger jobbed, but then the guy threatened to shoot his wife! :yay: Hence his guns were taken off him by the police :drinks: and this one ended up back with the original dealer to sell on - from new it had basically been bought, shot in and lightly customised - so I ended up getting a pretty much new gun, shot in, with half of the initial jobs I wanted done already completed, all for less than 35% of the new RRP!! :good:

Furthermore, I would also just like to say, if you do buy secondhand - make sure it's from a dealer, ask him to have some sort of garantee on it (preferably something along the lines of 'will consistently shoot sub 2" group at 100yrds' - many will say this to you when your looking at it...just ask them to put their money where their mouth is!) and put it on your credit card (another form of back up/garantee). Stick to these rules and you should be 90% OK. :no: