feeding the field

tealer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just started to feed a stuble field i can shoot, the pigeon are on sugarbeet tops on the next field i can't shoot but have not yet found the food, has anyone else done this

Hey ho another anti trying to wind us all up! Listen m8 we're all sportmen on here and 'baiting' fields simply isn't sporting!

I have just started to feed a stuble field i can shoot, the pigeon are on sugarbeet tops on the next field i can't shoot but have not yet found the food, has anyone else done this

Hey ho another anti trying to wind us all up! Listen m8 we're all sportmen on here and 'baiting' fields simply isn't sporting!

What are you talking about, feeding the stubble keeps them off the crops so you can concentrate on doing your job for the farmer or is pigeon shooting just a sport to you have you forgoten the reason behind it! ,idiot

I have been a keeper for over ten years and you call me anti?

the farmer has left this stubble field till march and the pigeon are hamering some sugar-beet nearby so hopfully i will pull them off the crops on to this, i know it works but was just interested if any others where doing the same

Guest The Outlaw

As much as I have wished I had baited a field up, I personally havent done it.

Ive cursed many a time when I have 2 or 3 dozen sky rats on the fields around me but not where I am.

Grr just come back another day and try again.

Tony

the farmer has left this stubble field till march and the pigeon are hamering some sugar-beet nearby so hopfully i will pull them off the crops on to this, i know it works but was just interested if any others where doing the same

I’ll treat the ‘idiot’ bit with the contempt it deserves but I will say this...you in your own words say you don’t have permission to shoot the field of beet PLUS it’s been harvested so what’s the point in your ‘pest control’ exercise??? Aren’t you just trying to lure birds in to shoot for the sport?

Oh and by the way why don't you post your location or are you keepering in London town :good:

I’ll treat the ‘idiot’ bit with the contempt it deserves but I will say this...you in your own words say you don’t have permission to shoot the field of beet PLUS it’s been harvested so what’s the point in your ‘pest control’ exercise??? Aren’t you just trying to lure birds in to shoot for the sport?

Oh and by the way why don't you post your location or are you keepering in London town :good:

call me an anti and you get idiot back, obviously the farms i am shooting on have more than one old stubble field but they are mainly on the sugar beet, ,,not harvested..yes i do enjoy shooting,but i don't pay.as i provide a service too. it works both ways.

olde london town

hi tealer and welcome to the watch mate,ive never heard of or tried baiting a field for pigeons,sort of tried it for crows,but would love to hear if it works and what you used to tempt the little ******* .good luck :good:

That's more like it, thanks for a decent reply , yes it does work and have done it many times, when i was keepering it saved time to concentrate the birds onto a field that's cropped so every body is happy, the farmers stop pestering and you get better shooting :lol: :( i only posted to see if anyone else was doing the same, didn't expect to be called an anti :lol: oh i am using weat

If you are a keeper wont you be to busy this time of the year to shoot pigeons?

Dont think you will have time to go pigeon shooting as you have more importants birds to look after.

Somethings not quite right here, if you are as you say you are a keeper, then why not just shoot directly over your neighbours beet crop.keepers are generally run off their feet just now and anyway the general licence states that we are able to shoot woodpigeons only if they are causing damage to crops, I have never in my "99" years heard of anyone baiting a field, and doubt if under the gen lic it would be legal?

:good: D2D

I would suggest that what is not right here, is everyone jumping on a new poster.

Just relax, I know two Gamekeepers that are currently spending a lot of time pigeon shooting, as well as looking after their pheasants, its what they do.

It is not within the spirit of the General Licence to bait fields for pigeons, but I am not sure its ever been tested in Court.

No, nor will I ever, you are outwith the reason we are allowed to shoot Woodpigeon.

why, you use decoys don't you, to trick them. feeding a stubble field is an extension of this. do you shoot a couple for the pot and leave two thousand feeding on crops.we are allowed to shoot pigeon because they are classed as vermin, i don't pay for sporting rights therefore i have to keep the farmers happy to keep myself happy, this is a way of doing both.

why are you allowed to shoot pigeon?

I am not presently working as a keeper but have over ten years under my belt plus sparsholt college.

you are run off your feet on the rearing field and gets easier when your birds are put to wood and are only on one feed a day now.Why do i have to defend myself?If you havn't heard of it you have now, you learn something everyday

Well if you just chucked a hook in the water you wouldn't catch many fish so why is baiting unsporting in one context and sporting in another?

With game birds, grain us used both to hold birds on the shoot as well as to keep them in good condition. It also has knock on benefits for many non target species too. Does that mean that driven game shoots are unsporting?

Why is it that using a decoy or dead bird as bait is sporting but using grain isn't?

Why isn't wearing cammo or using a hide unsporting?

There seems to be some muddled thinking around what is considered sporting and what isn't.

Well if you just chucked a hook in the water you wouldn't catch many fish so why is baiting unsporting in one context and sporting in another?

With game birds, grain us used both to hold birds on the shoot as well as to keep them in good condition. It also has knock on benefits for many non target species too. Does that mean that driven game shoots are unsporting?

Why is it that using a decoy or dead bird as bait is sporting but using grain isn't?

Why isn't wearing cammo or using a hide unsporting?

There seems to be some muddled thinking around what is considered sporting and what isn't.

doesn't there just, spot on

sporting or not,if im walking around my shoot and theres a pigeon sitting on a branch,id shooti it,as far as im concerned thats within the licence,cos if i didnt shoot it ,it would go and eat some crops somewhere at some point,so im protecting crops at the end of the day,no court would challenge it ,its a vermin thats needed to be controlled like crows,rats or rabbits . :good: