how do you gut a pigeon .

darren m

i'd like to know how to gut and clean a pigeon please , keeping it whole as in oven ready for the roasting tin .

i just usually use the breast meat in stir fry's etc .

but after seeing whole pigeons ( oven ready) for sale at the chatsworth farm shop , and seeing how expensive they are , i thought i'd try it myself .

Darren . :)

Darren,

My method (others may differ) keeps the wet bits until the end, and so avoids all the feathers getting messy.

Completely pluck the whole bird (outdoors, feathers get everywhere) ignoring the wings, but including the thighs. The last bits of down can be rubbed off with moist fingers, don't use a lighted taper as some suggest, its can damage the skin and tastes 'orribule.

Cut off the wings at the joint next to the body, and the feet.

Chop off the head, pull the neck skin down to the body, and remove the neck.

Tighten the skin between the point of the breastbone and the vent, and cut horizontally with a sharp knife. Insert two fingers, jiggle about and remove all the soggy bits.

Back at the bonce end, remove the windpipe and crop.

Wash under the tap, making sure all the inside is clean. Pat dry with paper towels.

Thats it, pretty simple and looks the part; but twixt you and me 95% of mine get the de-breast treatment the same as yours. The only gain is in looks.

Regards

Eug

Now this is a question for every one. I am sure that everybody have ther own way of doing it. Now the way i was shown by my good mate Col. Is you take the bird in your hands breast up, you apply eaven pressure with both thumbs on the centre of the breast and push outwards. If you do it right you should be seeing the flesh of the breast. Then all you have to do is get hold of the skin and tear away. Clip off the wings and legs, head clean out the guts and that's the bird ready for the oven. Have fun trying this out. :lol: PS,: this is something that you can do when you are out in the field and things go quiet for a while. Ba