Eating Pigeon

Matthais_31

A year or so ago, the Express and Star's headlines informed us of 'young men shooting wild pigeon, cooking and eating them' (shock horror!)

The article stated that they were not safe to eat as they (the pigeon) contained poisonous farm chemicals. I laughed my socks off! I SHOULD HAVE SENT A LETTER STATING THE CONTRARY - but this rag only prints the sensational headlines!

A year or so ago, the Express and Star's headlines informed us of 'young men shooting wild pigeon, cooking and eating them' (shock horror!)

The article stated that they were not safe to eat as they (the pigeon) contained poisonous farm chemicals. I laughed my socks off! I SHOULD HAVE SENT A LETTER STATING THE CONTRARY - but this rag only prints the sensational headlines!

Yes but people who don't know better read it, panic, make a fuss, and then before you know it, the Government are taxing us, so as to be seen to be doing something about it. Just look at the green tax on every thing now, flights for one, and where does this money go? I have never seen a Government official up a ladder with a bucket of Ozone. Freedom isn't free....Jim.

IF you where to see the dirty sky rats that live in my town (feral )that actually live on burgers, kebabs and chips etc etc No joke !!

Or you might bump into the one I saw making quite a feast out of the chunks in a pile of vomit on the pavement in whitehall earlier this year..

ZB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Pigeons can be eaten fresh and there is no need to bleed or hang although letting the meat set can add flavour and tenderize somewhat.

Also pigeons arent as diseased or dirty as people say. No more than your average chicken.

However it should be made known to everyone that proteins that exist in pigeon poo and feathers can react badly in your lungs causing hypersentive pnuemonitis (or something like this i dont know the exact spelling). Care should be taken not to breath in deeply when cleaning the pigeon loft or when plucking. It should also be known that city pigeons fly hundreds of miles into the countryside at times for food, and these pigeons are what we like to think of as wild or feral birds.

As a keen shooter and also a newly found hobby of raising pigeons and racing homing them, its cool to find a place where down to earth sensible people can talk about our love of shooting and eating!!!!

I used to eat the breast meats but now i pluck them, quarter them like a cooked chicken, remove the entrails saving the tasty giblets and heart, and either roast or make soup or stew into a soup and then roast lightly for 2nd course. Baby pigeon (squab) is good for colds and flu (i was told by an old ***********.)

Happy hunting alll!

Pigeons can be eaten fresh and there is no need to bleed or hang although letting the meat set can add flavour and tenderize somewhat.

Also pigeons arent as diseased or dirty as people say. No more than your average chicken.

However it should be made known to everyone that proteins that exist in pigeon poo and feathers can react badly in your lungs causing hypersentive pnuemonitis (or something like this i dont know the exact spelling). Care should be taken not to breath in deeply when cleaning the pigeon loft or when plucking. It should also be known that city pigeons fly hundreds of miles into the countryside at times for food, and these pigeons are what we like to think of as wild or feral birds.

As a keen shooter and also a newly found hobby of raising pigeons and racing homing them, its cool to find a place where down to earth sensible people can talk about our love of shooting and eating!!!!

I used to eat the breast meats but now i pluck them, quarter them like a cooked chicken, remove the entrails saving the tasty giblets and heart, and either roast or make soup or stew into a soup and then roast lightly for 2nd course. Baby pigeon (squab) is good for colds and flu (i was told by an old ***********.)

Happy hunting alll!

Pardon? Did I read that right?

i ate some pigeon last night that had been shot on saturday. It was quite interesting, one was very young - small breasts, very light meat, the other two had breasts at least 2x as big, one was very very dark, and the other somewhere in between. I can only assume that the darker the older?

Anyway, the young one was fantastically tender, but you would probably want at least 4 birds to make a meal for one.

Personally I've never noticed a big change in pigeons when you hang them

• 2 months later...

hi all just finished a meal of 4 pigeon breasts which had been marinading in red wine, honey and thyme since yesterday, we shot them yesterday around midday and were still warm when i was breasting them, they were delicious, i wouldn't hang them, we shot a good few so i'm going to freeze the rest. (cheap dinner party maybe?!!!)

:sick::yes:

hi all just finished a meal of 4 pigeon breasts which had been marinading in red wine, honey and thyme since yesterday, we shot them yesterday around midday and were still warm when i was breasting them, they were delicious, i wouldn't hang them, we shot a good few so i'm going to freeze the rest. (cheap dinner party maybe?!!!)

<_<:sly:

Bet that was lovely!

If you are shooting a big plump woody, you MUST NOT EAT IT!

You must then give them to me, and i will :sly: (erm) dispose of them <_<

The are great eating birds, shame the rest of the Tesco generation dont see it that way.