once in the hide

McF

Here,s a question for you.

Once you have humpt all your gear to your chosen spot to do some decoying, and set it all out.

If like me you will be rather warm and sweaty with all the movement.

However once settled into your hide you soon start feeling the cold at this time of year.

What tips & tricks doe,s anyone have to keep warm in the hide.

McF

It depends if the cold that you feel is due to a chill wind or your body moisture evaporating.

If you’ve got a chill wind blowing into your back then you need some sort of barrier. I usually shot from a sitting position on a drum and I use a BIG fishing umbrella that I fix up behind me like half an igloo. I tie it back to the hedge or some cover so that the rim is set on the ground and the stem that has a pointed end passes the drum on one side and digs into the ground. By doing this the umbrella is kept under control (I don’t recon much on chasing an umbrella 200 yards across a field) and does several jobs in one go. It stops the wind and rain in the winter and the sun in the summer. It gives also my hide a backing and colour

dont wear all your gear ( leave jacket or jumber off) while setting up, then when you start to cool down put them on to make you nice and toasty again

a flask of hot drink is a good way to warm up too! :lol:

This is the best answer. :lol:

Make sure you wear layers of clothes, so they are easy to put on, or take off.

Some of the one piece , padded , cammo "boiler suits" I have seen must be a nightmare.

Some great tips coming in boys especialy the one with the fishing umberella think i,ll try that one when i go down to Wil Beasleys on Saturday with Webber.

However i forgot to put on the origanal post thats its my feet that usually starts to feel the cold first even though i have insulated boots & once that happens its not long before the cold sets into my body.

Any tips on keeping your feet warm, i was thinking of trying those battery opperated insulating socks anyone tried these ?

McF

McF

My tip is to get McF to set up, so he gets all sweety and I stay cosy.

I forgot that we bought those battery socks years ago now. I seem to remember not being able to get them on with wellies.

Could try some thin felt in the bottom of the wellies. The answer is no, before you ask.

See you on Boxing day,have a good un.

webber

Webber

you are going to be like me this time, we are going to be in seperate hides and i doubt Mike as a clue how to set everything up as its his first time, so you'll know how i feel at the end of the day. knackerd and freezing.

Have a good one.

Mcf

Don

your idea sounds a good one only as stated above we are going to be in seperate hides but i'll bare it in mind for the next time.

I suppose the laugh im going to get watching webber do everything for himself for once should keep me going.

Mcf

Some great tips coming in boys especialy the one with the fishing umberella think i,ll try that one when i go down to Wil Beasleys on Saturday with Webber.

However i forgot to put on the origanal post thats its my feet that usually starts to feel the cold first even though i have insulated boots & once that happens its not long before the cold sets into my body.

Any tips on keeping your feet warm, i was thinking of trying those battery opperated insulating socks anyone tried these ?

McF

Try this next time, I usually coat my hands in vaseline and rub it well in then another coating just before going out, it blocks the pores and works well for me, I got the idea from a winter beach fisherman originally,

Try it on your feet, mine dont suffer from the cold but I dont see why it wouldnt work the same on your feet.

Failing that try several pairs of thin socks including ladies POPSOX, the more layers the better.

:lol: D2D

Here,s a question for you.

Once you have humpt all your gear to your chosen spot to do some decoying, and set it all out.

If like me you will be rather warm and sweaty with all the movement.

However once settled into your hide you soon start feeling the cold at this time of year.

What tips & tricks doe,s anyone have to keep warm in the hide.

McF

these do the trick:

http://www.gardenitems.co.uk/guest_handwarmer.php

Careful wearing too many socks as this actually restricts blood flow and makes the feet get colder even quicker.

Try buying some fabric topped rubberised soles and then put lambswool soles on top and then wearing a nice thick pair of shooting socks, I suffer with my feet due to bad circulation and find this helps everytime.

The idea of a fishing umbrella is a good one, but can't help think about the added weight when having to walk to the spot rather than driving.

SS

Sounds obvious but one of the main reasons your feet feel cold is they are in direct contact with the cold ground, depending on how much you want to carry taking a bit of corrugated cardboard to place your feet on really does work. I knew a chap that had a job that involved standing on a concrete floor all day and noticed in winter he always stood on a piece of cardboard, when I asked him about it his reply was it was to keep the cold floor from his feet and it really worked.

Worth a try if you are really suffering.

Neoprene lined boots are my weapon of choice, a little on the large side for preference so when it's really cold you can add an extra pair or two of cotton or wool socks, tight boots will make the problem worse.

nothing worst that sweating you baals off whencarrying all you gear to the chosen spot.

take jacket off...get the work done....cool don..back on with the jacket...kepp te toes wriggling and tapping...neoprine gloves are good to .....ladies tights under the cammom trousers......ooohh eerrr missus :oops:

2 thin lyers are is warmer the one thick one. ad :good::oops: ss the warm air from you body gets traped in betwen the two

Sounds obvious but one of the main reasons your feet feel cold is they are in direct contact with the cold ground, depending on how much you want to carry taking a bit of corrugated cardboard to place your feet on really does work. I knew a chap that had a job that involved standing on a concrete floor all day and noticed in winter he always stood on a piece of cardboard, when I asked him about it his reply was it was to keep the cold floor from his feet and it really worked.

Worth a try if you are really suffering.

Neoprene lined boots are my weapon of choice, a little on the large side for preference so when it's really cold you can add an extra pair or two of cotton or wool socks, tight boots will make the problem worse.

Spot on Chris! A bit of a barrier betwixt boot and ground makes all the difference! If you are going to sit down to shoot a bit of expanded Polystyrene in a strong plastic bag really works well.

One of the main things to keep the body warm is to use the right kind of first layer, something that draws the sweat caused by the exertion of lugging the gear about rather than leaving it to evaporate off the skin.

Well worth checking out skiing and climbing gear suppliers for these items.

McF

Yes I have a pair,they operate off a 7amp/hr battery.Just switch them on for a couple of minutes,as they draw very little current and feet are warm as toast for the next hour.

They are made of silk and have fine wires embeded in them so are not bulky and put them on next to your skin or over a thin pair of socks with heavier pair on top.They are often worn by motorcyclists and can be purchased in good motorcycle shops.I have a pair brand new if interested.

Well then, here are my 2 p's worth ........... Some 45 years ago my mother made me and my brothers wear wellies 1 size bigger than our feet and crumpled up loads of newspaper and put them into the wellies first, so you stand on newspaper and your toes are surrounded by it as well !!! If it worked then in the bavarian alps with snow up to the waist of a young boy it sure will keep your feet warm in your hide !!!!

I know this is a real high-tec solution and not everyone can afford that :/:/:lol::lol::lol:

Hey thanks for the tips boys

Paul in the north,

I use to work down the pit & at the pit bottom it was very cold in winter however one guy wore tights to keep him warm (so he said) & when the lads seen him taking them off in the lockers you can imagine the stick he got, so i think i,ll give that one a miss, i dont want Webber getting any ideas.

Mcf

McF

If it turns you on and keeps you warm, I am not bothered, just make sure that they are cammo, prefferably Realtree.

The best tip that I have seen in this post is the lambswool insoles. It looks like you are still off work? How do you fancy a search of ebay / internet for some lambswool insoles? but dont just order for yourself.

webber

webber

there will be no tights wore by myself rest ashored, but no doubt if you see some in realtree you will purchase them, dont bother getting me some though. lol

yep still off work & not feeling any better.

i,ll have a look on fleebay see what comes up.

mcf

I bought a pair of HUNTER TORLUNDY MENS LEATHER BOOTS

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/pages/prodpics/prod1049.jpg

Fully waterproof

Pull-on Country boot. Knee length.

Event® dry system membrane

Outlast® climate control lining

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/system/shop.asp

They are excellent! Even on the frostiest morning with normal socks i haven't had cold feet. You can stand in a trough full of water up to the top of the boots & they won't leak. Have had them about 6 months now, wear them every day & would not swap them for anything. Not sure i would pay the RRP but excellent value at this price. :good::lol::)

McF