How to skin & gut a pheasant

webber

Good link!

Another tip people might find helpful (if you are going to bone the pheasant) is to follow the above guide to remove the skin then use game shears (or very strong kitchen scissors) to remove the spine and innards all in one. This takes literally 30 seconds to do, saves poking around in the cavities with your fingers and makes cleaning the inside a doddle!

Remove the crop if it hasn't already come off with the skin then (see pics):

1) Insert the bottom blade of the shears between the neck and the shoulder

shears1.jpg

2) Cut along the spine through the ribs keeping the bottom blade up close underneath to get between the ribs and the lungs all the way to alongside the anus. The ribs are easy to cut through, however you'll need to use a bit of force when you get to the pelvis.

shears2.jpg

3) Repeat both sides of the spine

shears3.jpg

4) Grasp the neck and pull the whole lot out (you might need to ease your finger along the inside of the breast bone to break any adhesions).

shears4.jpg

If there is a decent amount of fat on the bird like this one the whole lot should just drop out in one unit like a removable Perazzi action! :/

I've always skinned pheasants, as when I tried to pluck them the skin came away anyway :/

Yes this can happen quite easily, especially around the neck area or around pellet holes. I find putting them in the fridge for 24 hours before plucking helps a lot because the skin and fat beneath becomes firmer and it seems to stick the skin down better.