Lamping on your own?

caspertguk

Guest rabgoat

I havn,t used that set up before,but i do lamp on my own,it can get a bit fiddly if you have to many gadgets like me,electronic calls,,NV monocular,rangefinder, shooting stick for use with rifle, keep it as simple as possible and enjoy,, :good:

I've read that this setup is fine so long as the target is stationary, when its moving its a different ball game, trying to give lead and keep (a straight beam of) light on the target is somewhat difficult.

You have read wrong my friend :good: I've shot rabbits and foxes with that same shotgun mounted lamp. Both on the run and stationary. For shotgun ranges you can adjust the beam from a spot to more of a flood, better tactic as you're not going to need to be shooting at range.

I find the best way of going about it (for foxing) is to use the lamp as handheld until you spot something, then clip it on the gun. For rabbits I keep it on the gun but I don't go rabbiting much anymore. I have also shot holding both the lamp and shotgun, say for a fox that came in too quick to the call to reattach the lamp.

Yep, :good: BUT you do NEED to be CAREFUL! Whatever method you use, you need to ensure that you don't end up pointing a loaded gun in the direction of people/houses etc because that is where you want to see. :lol: AND know your land well by day, which will help a lot by night - ideally set out in the light and wait until dark. :sly:

Thanks guys, took it out last night, had 3 bunnies in about half an hour much better now i can lamp on my own as my normal lamping partner has gone and got himself a lot of other commitments. Keep forgetting photo's but remembered just as i put it on the plate ready to cook for tea tonight, other two went to family members.

post-9342-1199010689.jpg

Does the shotgun mount fit on a handheld version? because there is a place to screw something in on the bottom.

I was told no so i ended up buying another one to fit on the scope so now i have.!!!!!

1) hand held 170 lightforce......

1) scope mounted lightforce........

1) on suction pads that fits on the roof of the motor 170 lightforce.......

:birthday: :birthday: :yay: :yay:

PS i would think its possible to make some form of bracket that will convert the hand held one...... :yay::lol:

• 3 weeks later...

If thats your set up then the only thing I would add to it is a safari sling. Basically sling over your shoulder, lamp on shotty to search for quarry. Weight of shotty is spread between arms shoulder and back. I believe it making life as easy as possible.

I use two lamps if i go out by myself (Vehicle) Main lamp to find stuff, smaller lamp on rifle to follow up with shot.

Hope this helps

EF